BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I rode a 21 Himalayan before I purchased the baby GS. I really liked it and would have pulled the trigger on it except for it's only a five speed, it topped out at around 75 to 80 and I needed more than that for the interstate and the price of my GS was only a few hundred more with the deal I got. It would make a wonderful second bike if you can afford to have two.
Hi there
Was the Himalayan topping out at 75mph or kmh?
Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
As many others have said. In a nutshell it really is fine the way it is. I you find yourself scraping the plastic pan then sure if you want get a metal one. It doe have to cost a zillion dollars. The only thing at this point I might do is get the heavier Bark Buster hand protector. The BMW one broke on the first spill. If you want to spend money I’d go for bars to protect the plastic.
i ride mine the way it is and at some point I’ll armor it up more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's a wise move. After the course, you'll be ready to go off-road. Most often it's not the bike that is the limiting factor, it's the rider. Some people even took Honda Gold Wings off-road. They didn't last very long and were more or less write-offs after that. But they did it.
Agree, and doing the Same here as I haven't really left the pavement in 20 years. ADV/off-road training courses are the best upgrades. Not cheap for a days course, but factor in the opportunities to meet like minded riders, well worth the price.

·
Registered
446 Posts
...Not cheap for a days course...
In Finland we have a saying: "Halvalla ei hyvää saa!" (translated to Queens English: Cheap won't get you anything good!)
Education is an investment and should be calculated as such. If you break down the cost on all the driving km's and hours you will enjoy more after the course, the cost is neglectable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all. Learned to ride motorbikes as my turning 51yrs old midlife crisis. I learnt on a Honda Vtr250 but am wanting to upgrade to something that I can use offroad on trails, does the baby gs need the rally raid type upgrades or fine straight out the box? Not planning on any enduro type stuff, just occasional gravel and sandy road but mostly tarmac in between. Also got a ride planned next year, 5000km,mostly tarmac, but there is one section called the Oodnadatta track which I'm really looking forward to. Anyone in the 88kg range used it as a tourer?
Cheers
highly recomended for anytimelife crisis!
yes it can do mild offroad as stock.
as a tourer I'm not pretty sure, some times you need a little bit more than the engine can give.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all. Learned to ride motorbikes as my turning 51yrs old midlife crisis. I learnt on a Honda Vtr250 but am wanting to upgrade to something that I can use offroad on trails, does the baby gs need the rally raid type upgrades or fine straight out the box? Not planning on any enduro type stuff, just occasional gravel and sandy road but mostly tarmac in between. Also got a ride planned next year, 5000km,mostly tarmac, but there is one section called the Oodnadatta track which I'm really looking forward to. Anyone in the 88kg range used it as a tourer?
Cheers
You've already gotten plenty of opinions, so why not one more?!

At a minimum, I believe you need to add a solid, backboned hand guard kit, i.e. Barkbusters, and a skid plate. As you've likely read here or on the 310 GS ADV Rider thread, this bike actually crashes pretty well (especially with a bash plate that extends out a bit, like Rally Raid's), and the replacement plastics are cheap. So, you could quite easily get by with just that minimal protection.

In my experience, you don't need the weight of the upper crash bars and I was pretty surprised to see one of the first responders recommending a spoked wheel set. Are they an upgrade? I'm sure, but do you need them for light gravel roads? Definitely not.

Beyond the minimum upgrades of skid plate and hand guards, I'd prioritize the following:
  • A handlebar upgrade to an aluminum handlebar--the stock bar appears to be made of butter. It'll bend when you drop it. If you're looking to be frugal, you could always wait to upgrade the bar until the (highly likely) bend occurs!

• Suspension--You asked in your OP, do you NEED to upgrade the suspension for the type of riding you want to do? No. You definitely do not. But you also mentioned that you're 88kg (or 194 lbs, where I'm from!) These bikes were definitely designed for lighter riders than you and I. (I'm about 97 kilos.) And I found that the stock suspension was very easily bottomed with my weight. You can find options that are cheaper than Rally Raid; i.e., in the U.S., Hyperpro has a cheaper kit, I believe. And of course, you don't need to do rear and front at the same time. I'd add some preload to the stock shock and ride it for a bit offroad and see what you think. From there, you could choose to upgrade front, rear, both, neither.

But at a minimum: hand guards and skid plate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been doing forestry roads on my lowered 310R, so can a stock GS do mild offroading.....,YEAH!!!!

If you graduate to single track, as been said by others, mild protection for hands and motor is probably recommended.

Suspension....like most bikes, aftermarket is nice but expensive-ish. I would recommend gaining experience with the type of riding you hope to do before investing.
In my book, exhausts are wasted money : you bought a bike with 25% of the cc's of most other bikes on the street....nothing is going to change that.

The forum is full of posts from people who thru lots of money in their bikes only to upgrade to bigger bikes later.

Don't forget that your upgrades have $0 value on the resale market

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are people on this forum who have toured one the 310gs, as in 1500mi recently.
People take small displacement bikes ATW or to S America often anymore. I read recently of a couple touring around Canada in the winter on Honda 90cc. Recently I met a customer. Him and his son rode from Maine to SoCal on a pair of 400s all backroads and off-roads. Took over a month, but it can be down.
True going across the US via the freeway/turnpike isn’t ideal, there are times the power is needed, imho.
By planning your route via backroad, frontage, old hyws etc. ya so just do it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was pretty surprised to see one of the first responders recommending a spoked wheel set. Are they an upgrade? I'm sure, but do you need them for light gravel roads? Definitely not.
I don't believe I was recommending them for much more than expensive cosmetic bling or some serious off road riding. Never said the cast wheels were no good for general off road stuff. And the upper crash bars certainly don't weigh enough to make any real difference to the average rider.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also got a ride planned next year, 5000km,mostly tarmac, but there is one section called the Oodnadatta track which I'm really looking forward to. Anyone in the 88kg range used it as a tourer?
To confirm what others have said, they do make a comfortable and basically capable tourer/adventure bike. I'm on my second GS returning to the fold as they are so capable and manageable.

I'm 85Kg's and had no problem with the bike loaded up with gear and touring. The suspension is fine, you may just have to compromise on speed based on the conditions, but stock it does cope well. Note the the new 2021 (black engined) machines come with firmer suspension than the previous model years.

Apart from the usual suspects of bark busters, radiator guards, crash bars etc the big one for me is the tyres. When I bought the 2nd GS, I asked the dealer to install Dunlop Trailmax mission tyres and credit the OEM Tourances. These do provide for a more confidence inspiring ride than the OEM rubber, handling and lasting well on the tarmac too.

I also fitted the Rally Raid level 1 kit and with the tyres she's a very competent tool off the Tarmac. The handling got a nice uplift, so no investors remorse there at all.

Oh, and with the 310's an aftermarket exhaust does give more pep and extra low down torque that often comes in handy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
To confirm what others have said, they do make a comfortable and basically capable tourer/adventure bike. I'm on my second GS returning to the fold as they are so capable and manageable.

View attachment 16131

I'm 85Kg's and had no problem with the bike loaded up with gear and touring. The suspension is fine, you may just have to compromise on speed based on the conditions, but stock it does cope well. Note the the new 2021 (black engined) machines come with firmer suspension than the previous model years.

Apart from the usual suspects of bark busters, radiator guards, crash bars etc the big one for me is the tyres. When I bought the 2nd GS, I asked the dealer to install Dunlop Trailmax mission tyres and credit the OEM Tourances. These do provide for a more confidence inspiring ride than the OEM rubber, handling and lasting well on the tarmac too.

View attachment 16132

View attachment 16133

I also fitted the Rally Raid level 1 kit and with the tyres she's a very competent tool off the Tarmac. The handling got a nice uplift, so no investors remorse there at all.
View attachment 16134

View attachment 16135

Oh, and with the 310's an aftermarket exhaust does give more pep and extra low down torque that often comes in handy.
Was it expensive to get the RR kit sent out?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Was it expensive to get the RR kit sent out?
About $1250 AUD all in (postage + GST), but can't remember where the exchange rate was back then. You can also source upgrades in OZ from YSS or Hyperpro, though Rally Raid will give you preload adjuster for the forks.

Well worth it for me, not only because of the better handling, less fork dive etc, but my other choice was a DR650 which would have cost the same as the 310+RallyRaid.
Once upgraded, the 310GS has ABS, is more comfortable for the bigger miles and just as capable off road as the DR.

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 16131

View attachment 16132

View attachment 16133

View attachment 16134

View attachment 16135

I agree with your comment on the exhaust! I have the same fitted to mine, it makes the engine more responsive and shaves off quite a few pounds in weight!! I have added a Puig Screen, Hand Guards and Rally Raid Bar Risers

As for tyres, I have just put on a pair of Anlas Capra X's that Rally Raid supplied, the off road difference is utterly immense!!!!

Next upgrade will be the Level 2 Rally Raid kit and Renthal fat bars and maybe (if I am feeling wealthy), the Gold Spoked RR Wheels too!!

Great little bike!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Guys, you're not helping. I was just at the point of think maybe a bigger bike might be better such as a klr,dr or cb500x but maybe it is enough bike for. I think on paper it's only marginally more powerful than my current VTR250 but trying to compare the specs between my bike and the 310 is apples and oranges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, you're not helping. I was just at the point of think maybe a bigger bike might be better such as a klr,dr or cb500x but maybe it is enough bike for. I think on paper it's only marginally more powerful than my current VTR250 but trying to compare the specs between my bike and the 310 is apples and oranges.
Hi, This bike is genuinely ALL the bike you will ever need!! I have owned many bikes over many years, before I bought the G310GS I had an Aprilia Shiver 900 for road and a CRF250L for green laning and heavier off road. After trying a G310GS Rally Raid (I have known the owner of RR since I was a kid) I sold both bikes and got the G310GS, on road it is a great bike that will hustle along at 70mph all day long, off road in all but standard trim with just hand guards, engine guard RR Bar risers and Anlas Capra X tyres, it will keep with most bikes, and even better than the bigger GS's like the 1250 etc, if you drop it, you can pick it up on your own with ease!!!

Have a look at the link below of Adam Mitchinson (John from Rally Raid's son) riding his 310 at the adventure bike show. NOTHING could keep up!!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi, This bike is genuinely ALL the bike you will ever need!! I have owned many bikes over many years, before I bought the G310GS I had an Aprilia Shiver 900 for road and a CRF250L for green laning and heavier off road. After trying a G310GS Rally Raid (I have known the owner of RR since I was a kid) I sold both bikes and got the G310GS, on road it is a great bike that will hustle along at 70mph all day long, off road in all but standard trim with just hand guards, engine guard RR Bar risers and Anlas Capra X tyres, it will keep with most bikes, and even better than the bigger GS's like the 1250 etc, if you drop it, you can pick it up on your own with ease!!!

Have a look at the link below of Adam Mitchinson (John from Rally Raid's son) riding his 310 at the adventure bike show. NOTHING could keep up!!!!

There's now doubt about Adam being a good rider and the G310GS being capable for off-road use, when equipped with the right farkles. The question the thread starter made was however is the G310GS:
Ready to go offroad as is?
My answer is still: Yes, if the rider is capable, so is the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's now doubt about Adam being a good rider and the G310GS being capable for off-road use, when equipped with the right farkles. The question the thread starter made was however is the G310GS:
Ready to go offroad as is?
My answer is still: Yes, if the rider is capable, so is the bike.
And I agree to a point, and that point is.......if you fit one thing that is not standard, fit better tyres!!! However, to counter that, I used mine with the OE Tyres off road and it was still superb!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't believe I was recommending them for much more than expensive cosmetic bling or some serious off road riding. Never said the cast wheels were no good for general off road stuff. And the upper crash bars certainly don't weigh enough to make any real difference to the average rider.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMHO the most helpful change that can be made to make this bike for off-road worthy are DOT knobby tires and that was the first change I made after I bought mine. I like Kenda Big Blocks but there are many other good ones available. FWIW, I am speaking after 52 years of riding, everythng from a Gold Wing to a 125 cc dirt bike.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts