BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Remember this bike was developed for the non 1st world market too. I’ve seen YouTubes with rideers tearing it up. Theres a couple out of Korea.
the bike is popular in around S.America too.
So the consensus is just ride it! Ride it your way like it is. Add mods as you choose.
Of coarse for the ones who grew up on dirt bikes (lucky!) y’all will want to upgrade to really have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all. Learned to ride motorbikes as my turning 51yrs old midlife crisis. I learnt on a Honda Vtr250 but am wanting to upgrade to something that I can use offroad on trails, does the baby gs need the rally raid type upgrades or fine straight out the box? Not planning on any enduro type stuff, just occasional gravel and sandy road but mostly tarmac in between. Also got a ride planned next year, 5000km,mostly tarmac, but there is one section called the Oodnadatta track which I'm really looking forward to. Anyone in the 88kg range used it as a tourer?
Cheers
Hi There, do the BMW Motorrad off road training course in the the first instance. Its a dam good course, where you will learn a lot. Secondly get the right tyres and ensure you have a bare minimum of a alloy bash plate and bark busters. Standard Metzeler tyres on the G310 GS don't handle well on grass. trust me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi There, do the BMW Motorrad off road training course in the the first instance. Its a dam good course, where you will learn a lot. Secondly get the right tyres and ensure you have a bare minimum of a alloy bash plate and bark busters. Standard Metzeler tyres on the G310 GS don't handle well on grass. trust me!
I'll have to look into that course. Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
446 Posts
Standard Metzeler tyres on the G310 GS don't handle well on grass. trust me!
Do you mean the factory mounted Tourance-look-a-like or after market? If after market, what model of Metzeler tires? To help you, here is a link to Metzeler motorcycle tire program.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys,

First-time poster here trying to educate myself on the F310gs that I pretty much bought on an educated whim (I was fed up with a top of the line hoda Forza that handled bumps like an unsuspended bicycle). I have had a carbureted and currently own an 05' f650gs (was driven here from Finland), owned a few more BMW's bikes without complaint, primarily due to their frank toughness. Never had to take them to the shop, my own maintenance was easy.

Reason I bought the 310 was I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand, split time between city and highway. My old F650GS simply has loo long and strong legs around town, but is a joy to ride in the freeway as I can pretty well pass anything I want. Problem is the 17 year old plastics are breaking down a bit (turn signal and electronic componentry is getting old/corroding, starter switch wouldn't conduct, so I took the unit apart and cleaned it, easy enough). I wish I could get my hands on the carbureted version here as a backup and tinker bike to avoid any electronics.

I tried every grade of scooter here. The floorboards are great to keep the mud off my feet, it's nice on smooth roads and loaded to the gills with features, but still bang the hell out of my neck/back on bumps. I've never crashed a motorcycle. I've tried to take my motorcycling cornering skills to the scooter, and ended up crashing twice, for the simple reason that the floorboard made contact with the ground before the tires did, lifted one or both tires off the ground, and off I went. Didn't realize that was the problem the first time - I attributed that to poor technique. Nope - I simply was stupid enough, especially the second time I crashed, not to realize you cannot lean these bikes over, even if you feel well set up in a "V' orientation entering a turn to keep the bike more upright.

Ok, so what I'm finding about the bike and a question at the end... I find her to be very well mannered around town, that the low 1st gear is great in traffic jams (I was slipping the clutch all the time on the f650), and in 4th gear the bike will haul it's *** and merge right into freeway speeds here, which are generally 80-95kph (and man will that little engine roar above 6500rpm - sounds great). I am not the type of rider that redlines my bikes, but maybe I occasionally will have to on this one. The F650, unmodified, has a dream soft suspension. The 310 is a soft suspension to begin with but still hasn't broken in yet (I'm 83kg at the moment), and of course with the 19" front and 17" rear, bumps are not a big deal. I'm not expecting to take her anyplace a Vstrom won't go, I will think twice before taking her with a group of CRF riders. :) The only thing I may do is, based on the negativity I'm hearing about the Metzeler tires is swap them out for a sticky pair of scorpion trail 2's which I've never taken off-road but sticks fine on these generally high-aggregate/low asphalt roads and wet conditions.

I realized I was buying the lowest end bike BMW "I think" created to reach a larger audience, did a quick search on reliability (oh, how I can see that tiny 310 getting get wound up by the average BMW rider), so I do see an engine rebuild at some point quite - possibly), but I simply have great faith in the brand (I did wish a for a spoked wheel option though).

Now, finally the question... Was the engine milled by TVS in India? I suppose it makes sense to mill it there and assemble it there too since that will be one of their huge and untapped markets, but I don't know the common mechanical skill level of motorcycle assembly techs there. Wish they were assembled here in Thailand, I find a well-trained Thai to be an excellent technician. I saw one example which SAID it was a BMW part milled by TVS and it was pretty awful looking, but I'd imagine the engineers at Stuttgart are closely monitoring the machining and assembly process - (wish Rotax milled the parts at least). A cursory look at the web didn't show a history of any engine failures, so I take it you can run these guys for a limited time at 10-12k if necessary. The bikes have a few years of history on them with the tires and suspension seeming to be the most major of issues ( think for the off-road community, which I haven't really done here in thailand - the F650 was too damn big and needed a smaller countershaft sprocket, which back in the day was an easy swap).

Lastly, was this poor guy out of power/traction on his 310, or was this strictly 21" front territory? Looks like TKC-80 tires front and back.

Cheers everyone!

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Hey Guys,

First-time poster here trying to educate myself on the F310gs that I pretty much bought on an educated whim (I was fed up with a top of the line hoda Forza that handled bumps like an unsuspended bicycle). I have had a carbureted and currently own an 05' f650gs (was driven here from Finland), owned a few more BMW's bikes without complaint, primarily due to their frank toughness. Never had to take them to the shop, my own maintenance was easy.

Reason I bought the 310 was I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand, split time between city and highway. My old F650GS simply has loo long and strong legs around town, but is a joy to ride in the freeway as I can pretty well pass anything I want. Problem is the 17 year old plastics are breaking down a bit (turn signal and electronic componentry is getting old/corroding, starter switch wouldn't conduct, so I took the unit apart and cleaned it, easy enough). I wish I could get my hands on the carbureted version here as a backup and tinker bike to avoid any electronics.

I tried every grade of scooter here. The floorboards are great to keep the mud off my feet, it's nice on smooth roads and loaded to the gills with features, but still bang the hell out of my neck/back on bumps. I've never crashed a motorcycle. I've tried to take my motorcycling cornering skills to the scooter, and ended up crashing twice, for the simple reason that the floorboard made contact with the ground before the tires did, lifted one or both tires off the ground, and off I went. Didn't realize that was the problem the first time - I attributed that to poor technique. Nope - I simply was stupid enough, especially the second time I crashed, not to realize you cannot lean these bikes over, even if you feel well set up in a "V' orientation entering a turn to keep the bike more upright.

Ok, so what I'm finding about the bike and a question at the end... I find her to be very well mannered around town, that the low 1st gear is great in traffic jams (I was slipping the clutch all the time on the f650), and in 4th gear the bike will haul it's *** and merge right into freeway speeds here, which are generally 80-95kph (and man will that little engine roar above 6500rpm - sounds great). I am not the type of rider that redlines my bikes, but maybe I occasionally will have to on this one. The F650, unmodified, has a dream soft suspension. The 310 is a soft suspension to begin with but still hasn't broken in yet (I'm 83kg at the moment), and of course with the 19" front and 17" rear, bumps are not a big deal. I'm not expecting to take her anyplace a Vstrom won't go, I will think twice before taking her with a group of CRF riders. :) The only thing I may do is, based on the negativity I'm hearing about the Metzeler tires is swap them out for a sticky pair of scorpion trail 2's which I've never taken off-road but sticks fine on these generally high-aggregate/low asphalt roads and wet conditions.

I realized I was buying the lowest end bike BMW "I think" created to reach a larger audience, did a quick search on reliability (oh, how I can see that tiny 310 getting get wound up by the average BMW rider), so I do see an engine rebuild at some point quite - possibly), but I simply have great faith in the brand (I did wish a for a spoked wheel option though).

Now, finally the question... Was the engine milled by TVS in India? I suppose it makes sense to mill it there and assemble it there too since that will be one of their huge and untapped markets, but I don't know the common mechanical skill level of motorcycle assembly techs there. Wish they were assembled here in Thailand, I find a well-trained Thai to be an excellent technician. I saw one example which SAID it was a BMW part milled by TVS and it was pretty awful looking, but I'd imagine the engineers at Stuttgart are closely monitoring the machining and assembly process - (wish Rotax milled the parts at least). A cursory look at the web didn't show a history of any engine failures, so I take it you can run these guys for a limited time at 10-12k if necessary. The bikes have a few years of history on them with the tires and suspension seeming to be the most major of issues ( think for the off-road community, which I haven't really done here in thailand - the F650 was too damn big and needed a smaller countershaft sprocket, which back in the day was an easy swap).

Lastly, was this poor guy out of power/traction on his 310, or was this strictly 21" front territory? Looks like TKC-80 tires front and back.

Cheers everyone!
It was milled on BMW equipment on BMW assembly lines specially set up at the TVS plant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was milled on BMW equipment on BMW assembly lines specially set up at the TVS plant.
Thanks for reading such a lengthy post and answering my most important question. I wont be afraid to push the engine beyond 7500 once I have it properly broken in.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts