BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum. I just wanted to share few things about the next BMW G310GS update that I hear from my friend (dont want to disclose anything about him). I have booked my G310 GS already. But I am going to wait one or two years to take the delivery. Because, I don't want to miss out a major update to the GS. BMW G310 series share a lot of things with TVS in India and a lot of TVS tech goes into BMW after sometime. Right now, TVS Raider is the most advanced bike from the TVS lineup and it has a lot of features for a sub $1000 motor bike. It wont be very long till BMW updates their G310 models using TVS tech. The updates my friend mentioned to me that are coming to 310GS version are:

1. Updated Instrument cluster: An instrument cluster similar to G310RR but in landscape format (existing instrument cluster in G310 GS and R is really ancient)
2. Increased Fuel tank capacity: Fuel tank capacity might increase from 11L to 15L (a much needed change for GS as 11L is very low for an adventure category bike)
3. Riding modes: GS might get riding modes similar to 310RR where track mode is replaced with off road mode (ABS is turned off in this one)
4. New cockpit FPV: The cockpit view might be remodelled to make it look more like the bigger version of the GS.
5. New headlight design: We might probably get a new headline design similar to the bigger version of the GS without auto alignment of the throw.
6. Improved exhaust note: We know the existing exhaust note is not the best but there might be an update coming to it as well.
7. New engine: I am not sure much about the changes coming to this - may be BMW might use the existing engine with few tweaks.
8. Additional inbuilt accessories: New 310GS version might come with inbuilt USB port. Right now this is an additional option provided in the showroom but it might soon come as a stock one.
9. Price: BMW trying to update the GS models while keeping the costs down. So, we might see a 10% increase in the price.

Feel free to share your feedback on this. Do you think new GS with the above changes will be a winner in the market especially in India?

looking forward to read your replies.

Cheers!

· Registered
GS 310
25 Posts
Hi Cyrille, I am complete on your side. I don't know what Crypto means with #6? Is it the sound......? If so ,I would care less. For all the electronic Junk, It is only something more what can break and gives you headache. Like on the cars. Sorry, I am old school and all I want is riding the bike. On top I can say the bike performs really good. Sometimes it is better to leave things alone. Beeing a German, I know, we always want to reinvent the wheel. Is it better?
Harald

· Registered
254 Posts
Yes ... and to call it a "G 310 GSA" the manufacturer can add some crash bars to this new bike.... And think twice about #2 (must have: why not 17-20 L instead of 15L?) and #3 (nice to have because the EU version of the G310GS already features a switch to de-activate ABS).

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I agree re fuel, but we'd need ~24 L to equal the R1250GSA's range.

I disagree re modes. We need modes because Enduro mode isn't no-ABS, it's front-ABS-on/rear-ABS-off. I currently do this by disabling rear ABS by simply reversing the rear wheel ABS sensor. But doing it that way means I can't easily switch it off when I go off-road and on when I go back on-road, so instead, I leave the rear ABS sensor reversed full-time. Modes that included Enduro mode would solve this.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Yes ... and to call it a "G 310 GSA"...think twice about #2 (must have: why not 17-20 L instead of 15L?)
I agree re fuel, but we'd need ~24 L to equal the R1250GSA's range.
I'm correcting myself here, @Cyrille is right: 20-liters is the right number for a G310GSA gas tank, not the 24-liters I said we'd need. I reached this conclusion by updating an analysis I originally did when deciding how much extra fuel I wanted to be able to carry. The table below is ordered from low to high by range (last two columns).

This analysis shows that when we carry ~one additional gallon of gas or ~four additional liters of gas, the range of the G310GS is greater than the range of any GS except the R1250GSA.

This analysis also shows that for the range of the G310GS to equal the range of the R1250GS, we need to carry ~two additional gallons or ~eight additional liters of gas or we need a G310GSA gas tank with 5.1 gallons or 19.5 liters.

Enjoy...

Edit: Given the comment by @PeteDuke in post #18 below and my response in post #19, I have changed the table's gallons column heading and first footnote to make clear that the gallons I used are US gallons.

Font Parallel Pattern Number Screenshot

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Somewhere i read that 200miles range is minimum for desert travel with a carried extra as emergency. But you do not wish to run the fuel pump dry or even low if it’s real hot. So one really needs much more than minimum or perhaps it’s smarter to carry the extra range in bottles thus never really run pump low. It’s one of those things one has really think through but in the end you over size for safety. Other part being the 310 already a heavy bike (for its class) adding more weight does not improve anything. My 1150GSA was a bear off road if the tank full (10 gallons?) Silly to carry that much fuel if you cannot operate the unit to get to far off destination without crashing.
I’d be blown away to see any changes on the 310 in 2023. It’s already too late, 23 models being cranked out as we speak. BMW will announce changes well in advance of implementation. Features already in play on the TVS line are a different story. The big lcd screen, traction control, power settings that one sees advertised on the Apache could be implemented at any point BMW decides to boost the cost of the 310 a couple grand. I’m thinking they will do much to keep price low as this is the 310’s best selling point.
I wouldn’t hold my breath on major changes to the 310, though it sure could use a bigger tank and less weight maybe go to Canbus for better operation. It seems to be selling well as is.
Huge competitors looming in this area growing everyday.
The thing being that, while the 310 is great and with improvements awesome but…..by the time you spend enough to “make it right” you could have purchased a KTM that while not as super on road is so so superior off road. So if your bound to eat dirt mostly why BMW?
All manufacturers have figured out some folks want small dual sports in a year you’ll be blown away …But I’d bet BMW gonna hold back make money for a bit. Im generally wrong more than correct so hopefully this will be the case.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Somewhere i read that 200miles range is minimum for desert travel with a carried extra as emergency. But you do not wish to run the fuel pump dry or even low if it’s real hot. So one really needs much more than minimum or perhaps it’s smarter to carry the extra range in bottles thus never really run pump low. It’s one of those things one has really think through but in the end you over size for safety. Other part being the 310 already a heavy bike (for its class) adding more weight does not improve anything. My 1150GSA was a bear off road if the tank full (10 gallons?) Silly to carry that much fuel if you cannot operate the unit to get to far off destination without crashing. I’d be blown away to see any changes on the 310 in 2023. It’s already too late, 23 models being cranked out as we speak. BMW will announce changes well in advance of implementation. Features already in play on the TVS line are a different story. The big lcd screen, traction control, power settings that one sees advertised on the Apache could be implemented at any point BMW decides to boost the cost of the 310 a couple grand. I’m thinking they will do much to keep price low as this is the 310’s best selling point. I wouldn’t hold my breath on major changes to the 310, though it sure could use a bigger tank and less weight maybe go to Canbus for better operation. It seems to be selling well as is. Huge competitors looming in this area growing everyday. The thing being that, while the 310 is great and with improvements awesome but…..by the time you spend enough to “make it right” you could have purchased a KTM that while not as super on road is so so superior off road. So if your bound to eat dirt mostly why BMW? All manufacturers have figured out some folks want small dual sports in a year you’ll be blown away …But I’d bet BMW gonna hold back make money for a bit. Im generally wrong more than correct so hopefully this will be the case.
Re 200 miles: Almost all modern street legal motorcycles seem to have a 200 miles range, but that includes reserve which induces a lot of angst in the few places where fuel is further than 150 miles apart. Off-road, I keep reading about people who ran out of fuel because of spinning wheels in sand, et al. So conditions get a big vote on range.

Re Fuel Capacity: Just because you have a 5 gallon gas tank, doesn't mean you have to fill it. That would be situation and handling dependent. If you do decide you need it, you're much much better off having that weight centered near the middle of the bike rather than in bottles and bags bogging down the rear wheel.

Re Timing: I don't think anyone was thinking 2023 for any significant updates; I know I wasn't. The G310RR has to lead the way and do well first; only then will similar features be promulgated. Competition will have an affect, but that helps the flagship bikes (R1250GS) rather than the niche bikes like the G310GS.

Re CANBUS: Unless the bottom has dropped out of the electronics market (which has not happened), I can't imaging this would be anywhere close to economical; switching to CANBUS would require replacing pretty much all the electronics with significantly more expensive electronics.

Re KTM: The whole point of making the 310GS right is achieving that balance between on and off road. Starting with the 310GS, I was happy with the road part and made the off-road part what I think is about right. If I had started with a KTM, I'd have had to make the road part right; I'm not sure that would have even been possible. But I admit, that's a blind spot. I don't have enough money or time to pursue multiple options and then decide. At some point, you have to commit, I committed to the G310GS and so far I haven't been disappointed.

Final note: We're not the real market for the 310; India and southeast Asia are. I don't think BMW will make any changes in the 310 unless they fit under the price point for these areas.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Nailed it again JG your much more eloquent than I. My personal is to enjoy the one between my legs until something I really want, need and can afford pulls me in. Perk of being at end of cycle. My only complaint on the 310 is it’s too fast for my taste off road, probably for my health in the turns. I would bet money that loaded for travel, off road making time or just having fun, the 310 mileage will drop, along with use of ethanol fuel. My light comes on at 120 normal riding I’d call that “effective” range as riding with lights makes me wacky. Meaning I’ll add fuel as soon as I get a flare. If a good planner I should not reach that, yeah right.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
My only complaint on the 310 is it’s too fast for my taste off road, probably for my health in the turns.I would bet money that loaded for travel, off road making time or just having fun, the 310 mileage will drop, along with use of ethanol fuel. My light comes on at 120 normal riding I’d call that “effective” range as riding with lights makes me wacky. Meaning I’ll add fuel as soon as I get a flare. If a good planner I should not reach that, yeah right.
The only time I hit reserve at 120 miles was when doing 70-80 mph on highways. Perhaps that tells us what you mean by 310 being too fast; mystery solved - you're doing 70-80 mph off-road. 🤯

Whenever I got off-road, I was doing 20-30 mph. At those speeds, the 310 just sips gas and one tank would last me all day.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
i Guess it might depend on what type of off road. Putting along a forest road at 20 or 30 mph is different than slogging through mud or sand or up hills. So by your experience where should we plan our range at if it’s far greater traveling off road? That sort of info could save carrying too much extra gas in a space/weight restrictive zone.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
So far all my off-road riding has been east coast where the density of people and gas stations is quite high. If I had a five gallon GSA tank here, I'd probably only be putting 3 to 3-1/2 gallons in it during off- road days. However, even here, on days when I wanted to go a long ways fast, on-road, like I did during my run from Missouri to Pennsylvania to get to the NEBDR, I'd fill up and go as far as fuel or bladder would let me go.

But I think such a GSA tank would really come into it's own out west in the sparsely populated regions and on the BDRs that take you quite a ways from civilization.

Last, while I'm not ready to go there yet, international travel, with it's even sparser fuel options, would really benefit from such a GSA tank.

I have to admit though, that this discussion has me wondering how bulbous and top heavy a five gallon tank could be on the 310. To avoid that, they'd really need to extend the tank low like the 701LR tank does. But that's actually a contrary case against a GSA size tank for the 310. Husky sold so few that it's no longer available.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
When quoting Gallons, are we talking US gallons or Imperial , there is a big difference - Just saying
I admit to that not saying as much in an international discussion was a bit sloppy of me, but I really expected that (1) the US folks would note the little US flag by my user ID and accept that I was using US gallons (to be more accurate, most US folks wouldn't know (or care) that there is such a thing as an Imperial gallon); (2) the non-US folks would ignore the gallons since I provided liters as well; and (3) someone familiar with Imperial gallons would know that the Imperial gallon is no longer legal in the United Kingdom for trade or public administration purposes. This last expectation isn't quite applicable since I'm not selling or administering anything, but still, I wouldn't want to be seen as not being completely proper. 🧐

P.S. Next time I'm at my computer vice my phone, I'll add a third footnote to the table about the gallons being US gallons.

· Registered
GS 310
25 Posts
I LIKE THE DICUSSION>>>>
being German and have a lot British friends we always have (friendly and funny)verbal fights. It's in the nature. Just one i.e. A British and a German spy should be executed on foreign soil. Last wish was from the German was to explain to the British how German works. The British replied immediatly " shoot me first" please!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts