BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I LIKE THE DICUSSION>>>>
being German and have a lot British friends we always have (friendly and funny)verbal fights. It's in the nature. Just one i.e. A British and a German spy should be executed on foreign soil. Last wish was from the German was to explain to the British how German works. The British replied immediatly " shoot me first" please!!!
Being an American whose family left Germany/Prussia after the Prussian War and assuming @PeteDuke is British, it fits, but I don't speak German, so no executions please. ;)

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Sorry, I would never put a pet at risk doing this. They can't consent to accept the risk. Plus, a human gets hurt, the human gets healed; a dog gets hurt, they get euthanized unless you have unlimited resources or human levels of health insurance for them.

· Registered
6 Posts
I can't believe this is really a Post? I guess blogs like this are to spread rumors? Humm.....

New member states: "I am new to this forum. I just wanted to share few things about the next BMW G310GS update that I hear from my friend....." And he is going to wait two years for his bike? Ok.
Here is the TVS Raider he refers to.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

TVS Display
Automotive lighting Automotive design Electric blue Motor vehicle Clock

I think I'm gonna wait for the Next New BMW Motorcycle.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Sorry. Could not help myself on the I think what might happen?? Keep going on this blog. Its been educational for me.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I can't believe this is really a Post? I guess blogs like this are to spread rumors? Humm.....New member states: "I am new to this forum. I just wanted to share few things about the next BMW G310GS update that I hear from my friend....." And he is going to wait two years for his bike? Ok.
Good catch. I admit, I glossed right past his statement that "I have booked my G310 GS already. But I am going to wait one or two years to take the delivery."

How the heck does that even work...hey dealer, here's my money or at least a hefty deposit, but hold off one or two years before actually ordering it for me?

The idea of waiting for a hypothetical bike gives me the shivers - life's too short for that...well, I hope he has a real bike to ride in the meantime.

· Registered
13 Posts
As I only took deliver of my 310GS a week ago, I do not have the experience on this bike as the rest of you. But I have ridden other bikes for over 40 years.

I can see reason for a GSA offer, but only as an option.. For those who spend days at a time, off-road, this may be a good option. For the rest of us, why carry around all that extra weight for our commutes or fun rides.

The one thing I would like addressed, is the gearing is way to low. As someone else stated, I'm shifting to 3rd gear and I just left the traffic intersection. 4-6 gears need to be set up for on road use so that little engine can cruise at highway speeds at lower RPM

· Premium Member
614 Posts
The one thing I would like addressed, is the gearing is way to low. As someone else stated, I'm shifting to 3rd gear and I just left the traffic intersection. 4-6 gears need to be set up for on road use so that little engine can cruise at highway speeds at lower RPM
I disagree. The 310's engine is a repurposed high RPM racing engine designed to happily rev all the up to the 10,000 RPM snowflake warning. It produces max torque at 7500 RPM and it produces max power at 9500 RPM. Given this, you get the most out of a 310 by shifting between 7500 and 10,000. If your previous bikes did not have high RPM engines, THIS IS VERY HARD TO GET USED TO.

Long before I owned my G310GS, I learned this hard lesson when I took my S1000RR to track sessions. My S1000RR engine reaches max torque at 11,000 RPM, max power at 13,500 RPM, and gives a white light shift warning at 14,200 RPM. Once I learned to use the entire RPM spectrum, the bike's performance was nothing short of amazing.

It's the same with the 310 on a smaller scale. Because the 310 has only 34 HP, you don't need a track to learn this. Just practice working the whole RPM spectrum and get used to hearing and feeling the high RPMs. I highly recommend you try this for at least a few thousand miles before making any changes such as...

That said, if you still feel you want to cruise in low gears rather accelerate through them, there's always the option of changing the number of teeth in sprockets to get the feel you want. Just be aware, changing things to favor low gear cruising means sacrificing your ability to accelerate. I prefer to trust the engineers' optimization process that produced the OEM gearing and sprockets so I've never changed my sprocket teeth, but there are threads about doing this on this forum and elsewhere.

· Registered
GS 310
25 Posts
Right, if you want performance, you need high RPM. For some folks, (my wife included), don't like the sound and vibration from the engine. I remember back in the 70s, two stroke engines was really common. Mention the 3cyl. two stroke Kawasakis. These Bikes only came to live in extreme high RPM.My buddy drove a 350 R5F Yamaha and was to lacy to shift, drove around in high gear low RPM. This resulted in a oil filled, dripping muffler. When we tok the Autobahn for a spinn, Franz was supposed to be last on in the group because you couldn't see anything in the mirror except blue fog. Also, wherever he parked the bike marked with oil patches. The joke was, Yamaha build this bike in England together with Triumph.
Happy riding in High or Low gear,
Harald

21 - 31 of 31 Posts