BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the torque setting for the Rear Axle Nut please.
I came to adjust my chain and I cannot move the nut with any spanner / socket that I have it is on so tight.
Must have put on with an impact driver by the dealer.
I am going to borrow an impact driver from a colleague to get of off. But want to tighten it up properly.

·
Registered
Currently bikeless. Buying a GS310 in Spring 2021
34 Posts
I bought a 45 mm torque wrench for my previous bike whose torque was 132 Nm.
Some times if you hit the extension a hard wrap with a hammer it can get it started.
Shudder to think what I would do if stuck on the road. Probably just call recovery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was told by a mechanic at a dealers that they have more damage done my people who have never been trained to using a torque wrench his advice to me and I always have used in my 50yrs of adjusting chains and never had a rear wheel nut come loose is to tighten with a standard socket wrench or the spanner plus extension in the toolkit then a quarter turn with a hammer, remember you may have to undo it when you don’t have a torque wrench in your pocket!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I try using the tools in my tool kit when doing anything to the bike, like bbbelanger highlights, I use the toolkit I have on the bike.

That way when I work on it in the garage, I know the range of tools needed to carry out as many repairs or maintenance jobs I can, if anything were to go wrong on the road.

An extra precaution I took was to learn how tight the rear axle nut is without the use of a torque wrench. Every time I would carry out chain adjustment I would practice the feel for 100Nm.

... ... ...

First loosen the nut with the OEM BMW tools - the 27mm spanner + extension + pre-load adjustment tool (for the maximum leverage).

Watch to see how far you have to turn the nut until it becomes loose. This will be your reference for refitting.

Once you've tightened it with the arrangement of OEM BMW tools in the garage, check with a torque wrench to see if you reached 100Nm. Over time, you'll find you know the feel, and can feel confident in times of an emergency, when you can't check it with a torque wrench.

... ... ...

Lastly, the service book has some maintenance procedures and torque settings which are very handy!

Happy riding 🙃🍬

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
624 Posts
My 27 mm wrench twisted when I tried to loosen the rear wheel spindle nut after it was torqued at the workshop in conjunction with the brake recall. I used the wrench, an extension and a box wrench.
It's more or less impossible to get the 100 Nm with the tools provided, but I've never heard of a rear axel nut coming loose after it being tightened to only 50 Nm. Achieving 50 Nm is possible using a half meter long lever and my weight of 100 kg. On my earlier F650GS the rear spindle nut was to be torqued to 50 Nm.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree that 100 Nm seems excessive, and in my opinion, the measure should be :
“as tight as I can get it with the supplied toolkit”.
After all, it’s a type of locknut + it‘s harder than the Aluminium it’s sitting in. It won’t be going anywhere in a hurry, and the chain slap would be as loud a warning as anyone needs!

I used the reverse method than CandyMuff did i.e
  • Loosen the nut with a long bar
  • thighten to 100Nm with my torque wrench
  • loosen using the toolkit (using my. Leg&foot if necessary)
  • tighten using the toolkit
  • use the torque wrench to see if I’m there
The idea is trying to get a feel with the toolkit of what is close enough for life on the road.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This nut will not move with any extension bar I could not move it. So I'm afraid Plan B is the cordless Impact wrench that my work colleague has brought into work for me today.
I phoned the dealer and asked if it was put on with 'windy gun' they said it would have been, but did not know what the Torque setting the Air impact wrench is set at.
Colleagues cordless is rated at 200nm so hopefully will shift it. I will torque properly when got it off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dealer damaged my sliding part on the axle on the opposite side to the nut so check yours before undoing with a rattle gun .
Basically the 2 flat edges on the spindle went back and forth due to use a gun to undo and doing up looked like it well damaged when i looked , it went in for recall work. I did mention it to them and they sent me a new part.
The spindle end is not a great fit anyway but hope they leaned to use hand tools. I hate rattle guns , last resort for me.
I would not be happy with the dealer for not doing it up correctly as you can not undo.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The first thing I do with a brand new bike is test the tool kit for things like being able to remove a wheel on the road. On the 310 it was doable, barely. Same session is where I double check the set up. On mine the tire pressure was too high and the rear preload was on lowest setting…..me being a fatty, had to crank that up. On plus side all the bolts were tight and chain adjusted proper. Cables and bars routed okay. I do miss having a cotter pin to retain the axle nut. This is sure a better tool kit than supplied with the F700GS I had. I recall a couple of torx drivers and a screwdriver.
Surprised that they don’t specify changing out nut after loosening, with special $50 nut…….

1 - 11 of 11 Posts