BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any mods out there so that I can raise the rear brake pedal up another inch or so? It's way too low for my wife.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Still to this day I don't know of any 3rd party brake pedal replacement what would allow adjustment.
Some users have put "spacer/block" on the pedal to "raise it".
Others changed the footrests for ones that give some adjustment in height (lowering them) so it changes the position of the foot on the brake pedal..
Some threads discussing the above
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/161-suspension-brakes/4018-rear-brake-lever-sets-too-low.html
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/194-bmw-g310-gs-general-discussion/8090-adjustable-foot-brake-pedal.html
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/7-bmw-g310r-general-discussions/8772-r-low-rear-brake-pedal-one-solution.html

You could also consider changing the rearsets in full... but be ready to spend 10% of what the bike itself it worth ! :frown2:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-tt-rearsets-bmw-g310r

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is the pedal actually too low, or is the biting point too far down for your wife's comfortable range of ankle movement?

If the latter then you can adjust the actuating rod to have the brake come on with less movement of the pedal by removing the clevis pin, undoing the locknut then turning the clevis to increase the effective length of the rod. Then put it back together.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the pedal actually too low, or is the biting point too far down for your wife's comfortable range of ankle movement?

If the latter then you can adjust the actuating rod to have the brake come on with less movement of the pedal by removing the clevis pin, undoing the locknut then turning the clevis to increase the effective length of the rod. Then put it back together.
Thank you for the suggestion! My wife is short. She was complaining that the biting point was too far down. This is cool! I'm going to try this when I get home from work!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion! My wife is short. She was complaining that the biting point was too far down. This is cool! I'm going to try this when I get home from work!

the rear brake should be used gently, so it is not a problem that the brake lever is lower. the main problem is that it is too far left, and difficult to reach. you can get cheap brake lever extender from China, and they also raise the brake lever a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel the same way about the 310R brake pedal, never had this problem on my other bikes. Going to try adjusting the actuating rod to have the brake come on with less movement.

I also feel the front brake lever is too far for comfortable reach due to the outward angle of the lever, never had this problem on my other bikes. It forces placing my hand on the inside of the handle bar, where the lever is closer at the bend, which is not natural for me.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Me too - just looked at how the brake pedal travel can be adjusted and will do so later today.
As for the brake handle - my PO replaced the stock levers with 'shorty' PUIG levers that are adjustable, and fit great. There are plenty of posts on this modification that sounds like would address your issue, highly recommended.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Be careful when adjusting the rear brake travel, it can lock up during use if you go too far. I cured the low pedal issue by zip tying a piece of 1/2" rubber mat on top of the pedal, much better now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too - just looked at how the brake pedal travel can be adjusted and will do so later today.
As for the brake handle - my PO replaced the stock levers with 'shorty' PUIG levers that are adjustable, and fit great. There are plenty of posts on this modification that sounds like would address your issue, highly recommended.

Thanks will take a look at the PUIG...expensive, but important to be comfortable with front brake. The clutch lever is not a problem for me, so not sure how the brake lever angle is different. I'll probably just purchase the brake lever alone and not change too much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The earlier suggestion to adjust the freeplaywas spot on. I adjusted it so that free play was barely 1mn before the engagement of the rear brake. It's perfect now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The earlier suggestion to adjust the freeplaywas spot on. I adjusted it so that free play was barely 1mn before the engagement of the rear brake. It's perfect now.

Can you take a pic?

Did you have to remove the lever? I removed the pin but realized I did not have space to turn the clevis.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Just did this 5 minutes ago. I had to loosen the brake pedal itself, to get the pushrod assembly to clear it. I adjusted it to pretty much 'max' and now the pedal travel is much better (= less/shorter) so, great result.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts