BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on the forum know what degree of 'free movement', if any at all, is acceptable in the rear hub 'cush-drive' ? some has to be. some has to be expected with use. After 4000 miles I have about 5mm of free movement, about half a tooth on the sprocket. What brought this to mind is the bike has developed a somewhat of a 'clonky' gear-change not unlike an excess of slack in the final drive chain. Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone know of a recall or approved modification relating to this condition ?.

·
Registered
410 Posts
there's been a few 'issues' with cush drive rubbers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Took my bike for an MOT. Told the cush drives are worn and that the chain is nearing the end of its useful life. The chain the bike started to wear as I rode the bike home new from the dealer, needing to be adjusted in just 75 miles. But the cush drives have now failed two or three times and it is costly to have them fixed! Anyone know a good source of better replacements in the UK?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done the inner tube trick as new rubbers were not in stock when I asked. As an aside, when putting the rear wheel back on I find having a plank under the tyre to raise it the wheel makes the job a lot easier as you do not have to lift the wheel much to align it with the shaft. My paddock stand lifts the rear by a couple of inches, the plank really helping. As to the cush drives, this set looked fine but the play was really noticeable at the sprocket. Inner tube insert has tightened it up well so will keep an eye on it. Also will stop using sticky chain lube. Just attracts dirt. I used to use gearbox oil to coat rather than lube the chain and will revert to that again as it seems to do all the protection without the grit stick. worth a try on a worn chain!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts