BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My engine died the other day on my way home from work. as in, it needs replacement.

I got a G310 GS brand new in june 2020 (2019 model year) and it has been running really well.
Im using it as my daily rider and has done a few weekend trips with light off-road. (8700 km so far)

The other day on my way home from work, it died out on the motorway, pulled over and tried starting it up again.
the sound it made was very wierd!
called BMW service to send a tow truck, i got picked up and they send the bike to my dealer.

yesterday i got a call that one of the valves caused the issue and had pretty much destroyed the entire engine, so they are going to install a new one.

Luckily they provide me with a loan car (as they dont provide loan bikes in winther) so i can get to work.
Im glad i have chosen a brand with good coverage if anything goes wrong. Also, so far the service has been really quick, hoping it continues this way.

Anyways, hope this doesnt take too long or that any other will expierence this, it does not seem to be a general problem (just unlucky), as i cant seem to find anyone else where the valves has been causing such issues.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got my bike back yesterday!

In just a week they have diagnostic the problem, ordered a new engine, taken the old out, installed the new one and serviced and cleaned the rest of the bike.
and I didn't have to pay a single penny as it was within the guarantee.

That was way faster than I expected. I'm happy that I choose BMW :)

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Just got my bike back yesterday!

In just a week they have diagnostic the problem, ordered a new engine, taken the old out, installed the new one and serviced and cleaned the rest of the bike.
and I didn't have to pay a single penny as it was within the guarantee.

That was way faster than I expected. I'm happy that I choose BMW :)
A good dealer makes all the difference! good to hear you're back on the road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Exactly what we would expect the BMW experience to be !

Sadly this has not been the case for everyone....Though it has been for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what we would expect the BMW experience to be !

Sadly this has not been the case for everyone....Though it has been for me!
Yea, sadly we hear too many stories of the opposite (even a handfull is too many). But luckily it seems to be few and far between.

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
54 Posts
The thing is - no valve should be destroying 8k engine. A quick dealer service is not an excuse or justification for that.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
I have seen 310 bikes with over 40.000 kilometers without any problem.
One owner traded it for a new 310. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts