BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New to the Forum.

I'm installing a set of Ibex Engine Guards to our 310 R but the new Supporting Lower Plate needs to be fixed to the sump by using the 4 Sump Bolts that the original Engine Spoiler is fitted to.
That's far enough but my question is how do you remove these four Bolts as per photo attached Didn't want to force them so just checking they just screw off?

View attachment 15759
Any advise welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There seems to be an issue, for me at least, that your attachment isn’t opening. But I think I understand your issue. I just installed a new crash guard the other day and my directions said to use a spark plug socket to remove the rubber isolators. That was a joke.

I can’t find what forum I found the advice on, but there is a nut on the inside of the rubber right up against the engine (see pic). I just grabbed a pipe wrench and got it up as far as I could against the engine to grab that nut. Once you know it’s there you can feel confident biting into the rubber to catch it. Wasn’t that tight and no damage to rubber afterwards. Hope that’s what you needed. Mine is a GS but I’d assume they’re the same. Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
I second the above advice.
Think of each of them as being two bolts placed head to head, with a rubber spacer between them.
The bolt heads are very thin, but once you find them, it's straight forward.
I used a spanner/wrench, so that I could feel where the bolt head was. You can't do that with a socket, even if you could find one deep enough to accommodate the whole thing.
Be careful not to tighten them up too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the positive feedback which I’ll put to use later in the week. Hopefully I’ll be back with good news!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I followed your advise and fitted the Engine Guards without any difficult. Ended up looking pretty good on the bike. My good wife is now delighted these are fitted to her machine to protect her baby! Thanks for the advise guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts