BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Replacing the shift lever - a simple how-to.

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Buckman 
#1 ·
I noticed a lot of people, including myself, are dissatisfied with the shift lever on the GS - it being a little tough getting a proper size boot underneath it. So I replaced mine with an adjustable one and filmed it. It's fairly easy, and those of us who are capable handymen and handywomen would probably tackle something like this without reservations... but I'm terrified of ruining my bikes, so I had some hesitations. So this video is more for people like me, who are a little timid when it comes to doing mods on our bikes.

Weirdly, I noticed that people call the clutch lever the shift lever... and sometimes the shift lever is called a pedal.

#2 ·
Good encouragement for people who are scared about motorcycle mechanics. The only way to learn to do mechanical stuff is: do mechanical stuff. If you make a mistake and learn from it, you have gained an experience. If you do a mistake and don't learn, you have wasted an opportunity to learn. Then do it again and learn.
About right or wrong in doing mechanical stuff: If you get the part loosened, fixed and back again, and it's working, you've done it right. The only thing that's not right, is left, but that cold also be right :unsure:
I'm riding my G310GS wearing Alpinestars Toucan size 11.5 and have no problems shifting, neither sitting or standing. I will however change the tip of my shift lever/pedal to a foldable one, as soon as the fixed one breaks, or I find the time and motivation to do the job :ROFLMAO:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.