BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fourth of July weekend I picked up a nail in my rear tire. A riding buddy had a plug and go so we plugged it and continued our ride, Now I am wondering- if I should replace the tire (less than 3k on the bike) or just keep riding it with the plug. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Check with a tyre place, it depends on the location of the puncture. Some punctures can be safely plugged others cannot. This is a critical item so I would get it checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also rode with a tire plug for a few hundred miles but soon replaced the tire. Personally, not worth the risk for a couple hundred dollars. Imagine the plug failing at highway speeds (which has happened for my sedan, let alone on a motorcycle). You can get cheaper replacement tires from Revzilla.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m probably going to get hairy eyeballs for this reply, but here goes. One of my best bikes was a 1996 R850R in South Africa. It had a home made stainless steel bash plate and I covered about 80,000 miles between 1997 and 1999 And about 20% was rough unpaved roads. I had several punctures in the tubeless tires and my kit was a a tube of rubber glue, a few pan head sheet metal screws and a screwdriver. The handling was simple; pull out the nail or whatever, put some glue on a selected screw and wind it into the tire. When the tire wears out get a new one fitted. It’s interesting to see that the screw becomes a part of the tyre and wears at the same rate. I’m not sure that plugs work as well but I’m sure not going to buy a new tyre if I get another puncture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts