BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum so as in Sympathy for the devil... "please allow me to introduce myself...". I know there's a specific thread for that but since I don't have my baby GS yet I don't feel entitled to do so... yet.

I am 44, male 5'7", 152lbs, 31" inseam. I started riding at 16 and enjoyed my Yamaha XV750 Virago in my home country Spain for 20 years when life took me to flat and straight South Florida. Lack of mountains and curvy roads in my current area (Broward County) as well as young kids discouraged me from getting back on two wheels, but I am planning to change that soon.

After thorough investigation I found the BMW G310 GS to be my choice (thinking to use it mainly for weekend morning unwinding, 80% back roads / 20% dirt roads), enough power for short range highways, not too much to make it unsafe. And what the hell, it looks amazing!

My biggest concern at this point is the fact I'm vertically challenged (love the expression). Not a concern for long rides, but with so many traffic lights in the area I will need to put my foot/feet on the ground quite often, and I want to do it as safely as possible.

I have read every thread in this forum with regards to that topic (thank everyone for that) and come up with the following conclusions - though not everyone will agree:

• BMW lower seat configuration does not make a big difference (and it becomes significantly less comfortable). Not worth the money.
  • Spring preload can help adjust rider sag. Not sure how much that will buy me but definitely I'm planning on playing with it.
  • Lower suspension kit. OK, I love the bike, but am I willing to throw in the extra bucks on a new ride just to make it work for me? Would it not be wiser to give up on it and go for a lower seat ride - such as the 310R?

In the end I will end up scheduling a test drive and finding out how it feels. Will share news - and hopefully pictures - in a few months.

Anyway the main reason for this post is to share a tool I found interesting to estimate how you'll fit in a given bike. I cannot speak about its accuracy, but since I did not find it anywhere in this forum I thought I would post it here in case anyone finds it helpful:

Motorcycle Ergonomics (cycle-ergo.com)

I have entered my data, and without changing the seat rise this is what it predicts I would look like:

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

If anyone finds it useful, the post will have been worth it.

Any comments/pictures about your experience with the 310 GS (please include your height, weight, spring preload setting and inseam) will be much appreciated.

I leave you with a picture of my last ride... see you soon!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am about your size but slightly heavier, I have a
310GS which is on the limit for me height wise it is OK off-road but uncomfortable in traffic. In hindsight I should have got the 310R because I do very little off-road these days. If you are not planning much off-road I recommend the 310R, as a bonus the R is cheaper than the GS. Bottom line try them both, get the one you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 5'6" at 180 with like... 30inseam... I haven't done any mods to lower the bike at all and I'm totally ok with just putting one foot down at the lights. Otherwise I just tippytoe when I need to. Don't over think it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
lowering link as another option. I personally got YSS shock which is 15mm shorter. i can handle high bikes, but I feel safer and more comfortable to be firmly flat-footed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Edited because I misread the 1st time and thought you already picked up the GS ....

Lowering link would allow the bike you prefer (GS) vs the one that's not your first choice (R).

T-Rex and other after market links can save coin over OEM. It's a straightforward DIY, bit you may be able to negotiate into your purchase that the dealer install it for you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry for the super low quality comment but you just need to head over to the dealer and try it out. All of these tools and measurements and graphs aren't nearly as helpful as throwing your leg over the seat and giving it a whirl (you can always lower it gently, if needed).

I am about 5.10, 180 and the bike fits me like a glove, with boots I can keep both feet on the ground and have always felt safe and secure. It's a perfect bike for me and even with the small motor it seriously hauls *** and is plenty for what I need. Please don't forget to report back and welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum so as in Sympathy for the devil... "please allow me to introduce myself...". I know there's a specific thread for that but since I don't have my baby GS yet I don't feel entitled to do so... yet.

I am 44, male 5'7", 152lbs, 31" inseam. I started riding at 16 and enjoyed my Yamaha XV750 Virago in my home country Spain for 20 years when life took me to flat and straight South Florida. Lack of mountains and curvy roads in my current area (Broward County) as well as young kids discouraged me from getting back on two wheels, but I am planning to change that soon.

After thorough investigation I found the BMW G310 GS to be my choice (thinking to use it mainly for weekend morning unwinding, 80% back roads / 20% dirt roads), enough power for short range highways, not too much to make it unsafe. And what the hell, it looks amazing!

My biggest concern at this point is the fact I'm vertically challenged (love the expression). Not a concern for long rides, but with so many traffic lights in the area I will need to put my foot/feet on the ground quite often, and I want to do it as safely as possible.

I have read every thread in this forum with regards to that topic (thank everyone for that) and come up with the following conclusions - though not everyone will agree:

• BMW lower seat configuration does not make a big difference (and it becomes significantly less comfortable). Not worth the money.
  • Spring preload can help adjust rider sag. Not sure how much that will buy me but definitely I'm planning on playing with it.
  • Lower suspension kit. OK, I love the bike, but am I willing to throw in the extra bucks on a new ride just to make it work for me? Would it not be wiser to give up on it and go for a lower seat ride - such as the 310R?

In the end I will end up scheduling a test drive and finding out how it feels. Will share news - and hopefully pictures - in a few months.

Anyway the main reason for this post is to share a tool I found interesting to estimate how you'll fit in a given bike. I cannot speak about its accuracy, but since I did not find it anywhere in this forum I thought I would post it here in case anyone finds it helpful:

I have entered my data, and without changing the seat rise this is what it predicts I would look like:

View attachment 16426

Any comments/pictures about your experience with the 310 GS (please include your height, weight, spring preload setting and inseam) will be much appreciated.

View attachment 16425
Hi, I only wish I had a 31 inch inseam. I am a 59 year old male that is 64 inch tall and maybe a 28 inch inseam. Like others have said it is not necessary to touch flat footed, just Google proper way to stop your motorcycle at a light. It should mostly be with only the left foot down. When using two feet, that is called the Harley Shuffel. We have all seen it- both feet hanging off the bike before coming to a complete stop.
I have never been able to flat foot a bike. I had my 310gs for 3 months and did fine before putting Hyperpro suspension front and back ($1100 parts and labor) that lowered the bike 53mm and made the bike corner, handle, and ride so much better, and of course lowered it where I can put the balls of my feet down if I wanted to. I did this mostly to teach my son (which is my height) and others to ride. If you end up like the picture on that fitting tool you will love the bike, the suspension is hi for a reason, it soaks up bumps easy. You are an experienced rider and will not have an issue. If you do then get some Harley boots with 2 inch heels like I have. The bike looks great and it is the best thing I have bought unknowingly how great it was going to be ( I was just getting it to teach my son) but have over 10,000 miles in 6 months and own 2 other GSs. You are going to love it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Picture frame Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
367 Posts
" ... proper way to stop your motorcycle at a light. It should ..."
It's perfectly fine to stop with barely a toe tip touching, if you have the balance and skills. Some riders have proven they can actually hop on and off from a bike seat so tall not even their toe tip can touch. But it's also perfectly fine to plant both feet to ground at every stop if that's your thing. I know some 6'5" guys that absolutely need to loosen that knee joint at every opportunity. 😂 (Not me, I'm 5'6")

There's not a right or wrong way.

It's personal preference. That may change from stop to stop.

There's a few habits that potentially add to your safety -- like staying in gear, ready to pull away. But even those are personal choices.

If you like planting your feet, have at it. If you really want your feet down and a lowering link will get you there, make the mod.

What matters is rider comfort, confidence, and enjoyment. ✌

Also: I have tremendous respect for a rider with 28" inseam and stock height GS. I am 30"-ish and the GS feels tall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone,

View attachment 16426

View attachment 16425
Hi Tuppe,
thanks for a great insight for vertically challenged riders who ride the G 310 GS. I have owned mine, since September 2019 and also being 5' 7" or 170cm tall.
I love my bike, but struggle with the seat height to ground ratio. I don't understand as BMW have other GS models like the F750 GS is 815mm and can be lowered to 770mm. And our bikes are at 835mm seat height. Thanks for the tip on the lower seat option, I was about to pull the lever and buy one here in Australia for $363 USD. I got the dealer to tweak the rear shock on the delivery, but that has made zero difference. I will now do some research on a lowering kit.
Thanks H

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Tuppe,
thanks for a great insight for vertically challenged riders who ride the G 310 GS. I have owned mine, since September 2019 and also being 5' 7" or 170cm tall.
I love my bike, but struggle with the seat height to ground ratio. I don't understand as BMW have other GS models like the F750 GS is 815mm and can be lowered to 770mm. And our bikes are at 835mm seat height. Thanks for the tip on the lower seat option, I was about to pull the lever and buy one here in Australia for $363 USD. I got the dealer to tweak the rear shock on the delivery, but that has made zero difference. I will now do some research on a lowering kit.
Thanks H
Hi :)

That's random as I have just under 28" inseam and been watching thread with interest.
I'm riding a G310R with lower seat but like tempted by a baby GS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi :)

That's random as I have just under 28" inseam and been watching thread with interest.
I'm riding a G310R with lower seat but like tempted by a baby GS.
I dropped my bike a few months ago and bent the handles and decided only yesterday, it was time to get them replaced at the Motorrad dealership. That's when I jumped on a F750 GS and noticed the huge difference in seat heights. Our bikes are built in India and the average height would be our height, which makes it even more stranger. I have no idea what to do, as I really love this bike on both the road and dirt. Hopefully BMW are reading these threads.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know how I found the below article, but makes interesting reading about lowering ride height.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That’s an awesome article. All of the BMW’s I’ve had fit me wonderful. 29” inseam, long back and ape arms, 5’10” overall. Been nice. If the 310 were heavier then i could see the needing to make it lower. But as it is it’s dandy, just learn to deal. Should be wearing boots anyway. I’ve been riding “too tall” for me forever gets weird for me when I ride my V star so dang low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, to anyone who is vertically challenged I am 5’’ 7” 29” inseam and has always been the first specification of a bike I check and in my over 50 years of riding there has been a number of bikes I would love to own but the seat height and the fact I can not get both feet on the ground is a problem, I not a believer in it’s ok if you can move on the seat to get just one foot down! I recently saw a article that some makes motorcycle boots have a built in raised insole, but I found on Amazon insoles that increase your height they come with 3 or 4 heel inserts which you can combine to give you more height. These are a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots and I gave them a try and was amazed it makes a difference the only caveat is you need your boots to be on the large size to be able to get your foot in, normally I have my boots the next size up to wear thick socks in the winter. I have found I can now get both feet on the ground instead of being on tiptoes on both my G310R and my Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor which is a more confident feeling when stopping, they do feel strange when walking!! worth a try worked for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am also vertically challenged, 5'7" and inside leg of 29".I also have a 650 Interceptor (sunset strip) I have no problem flat footing the 650
My 310GS is a bit taller, so I have been to Timpsons and had a thicker sole stuck on my boots - not a problem now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts