BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,

I am thinking of buying and installing a 1 gallon Rotopax on my gs. I know there are multiple ways and places to install but I have a Pelican case (top box) and I don't want to add side cases on it.

I was thinking of installing underneath the rack but not sure if will fit. I am almost taking the risk and buying, but wanted to hear from someone that might have installed or used Rotopax before.

See photo for reference (disregard my skills on paint brush)

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was thinking of installing underneath the rack but not sure if will fit. I am almost taking the risk and buying, but wanted to hear from someone that might have installed or used Rotopax before.
My original plan was to mount a Rotopax under the rack too. But the standard Rotopax mount is too tall to get the can on and off unless the mount hangs way off the back of the rack. You might be able to hang a soft bladder under there somehow, but a Rotopax isn't going to work.

Instead, I mounted it on top of my Pelican case, using the standard Rotopax mount attached to some ROK Straps. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original plan was to mount a Rotopax under the rack too. But the standard Rotopax mount is too tall to get the can on and off unless the mount hangs way off the back of the rack. You might be able to hang a soft bladder under there somehow, but a Rotopax isn't going to work.

Instead, I mounted it on top of my Pelican case, using the standard Rotopax mount attached to some ROK Straps. Works great.
Thanks so much Woodworks, this is exactly what I needed to know :(

What capacity is yours? 1 gallon? Doesn't look bad at all on top of the case. Do you have some hooks bolted on the top of the pelican?

·
Registered
255 Posts
What capacity is yours? 1 gallon? Doesn't look bad at all on top of the case. Do you have some hooks bolted on the top of the pelican?
Four flat loops. I put the Rotopax mount in the center, and thread the ROK straps through the loops, and then crossing over the 1 gal. can. It’s been rock solid so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
fwiw. If you only need to carry an extra gallon to extend your range (which is the main reason for carrying extra fuel) then consider using something like a Giant Loop Gas Bag instead...

It's much more compact (as it rolls up and can be stashed in your luggage), and typically you only need to keep it filled for an hour or so anyway, then empty it into your tank and roll it up again.

I'd suggest this makes sense on a smaller, lighter bike with limited luggage capacity... in fact it make sense on any bike to be honest!

Jx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts