BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long until the 310 R is alright to ride freeway miles regularily? I picked mine up at 1 mile and now is currently at 200 miles with maybe 2-3 being freeway.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran mine at 80mph right out of the box. No problems no burning oil . No metal in the oil . I have 4000 miles on the bike now. If you have 200 miles on it you shouldnt have any problems running it up to redline.

·
Registered
163 Posts
See MC Garage on YouTube. Ari Henning did a section on just that subject. Mfg Break-in vs. ride it like you stole it break-in.

End result, no difference. so get on that freeway... just don't over rev engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The first 300 kilometers (186 miles) should be under 6.000 Rpm. Like the posted manual.
I have followed that instruction. On highways I was riding on the slow side almost all the time.
And doing a lot of engine braking.

Changed the (dark) oil at 475 kilometer (295 miles). Very few metal spots.
Have to call the dealer for first official serve, exceeded 1.000 kilometer (620 miles) yesterday.
Right away and first time full throttle until 9.000 Rpm.. and again engine brake until low speed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have changed the oil for the second time @ 1007 kilometers.
The dealer has scheduled the first service @ the 7 Th of January.
They will do the some job again. But this must be done for the official warranty.

Again, very few metal spots! (Have used my own mineral oil, as the BMW oil is partly synthetic)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
See MC Garage on YouTube. Ari Henning did a section on just that subject. Mfg Break-in vs. ride it like you stole it break-in.

End result, no difference. so get on that freeway... just don't over rev engine.
I read an article a while back about breaking in procedure. This was related to super sport bikes, but I will always remember one line that went.........."you won't break in a chainsaw chopping match sticks"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts