BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can share their experiences with Saddle Bags and/or Side Case options on their Baby GS.

I currently have it narrowed down to 2 options but would love to hear/see what others decided on and their experiences with that particular option. Any insight much appreciated, Thanks.

Hard Case expensive option:

Soft Saddle Bag cheaper option:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't get ripped off with brands like this... I've just bought a LOMO Waterproof backpack that was rated 5 stars by MCN and now I'm just waiting on the 40L touring bag being brought back in stock... links below

hell, if it really needs to be panniers I think they do those too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
I looked up all the rear luggage options I could find- Hepco, Shad, etc. I didn't want huge capacity, permanent bag/case attachment, nor large amounts of hardware sticking out all over the place. However, I was trying to incorporate an element of 'rear crash bar' effect. I committed to the Motech SLC route.
I already fitted the Motech mounts, which I'm very pleased with- They run about 2'' outside, and parallel to, the edge of the OEM rack, so not far enough to protect the exhaust, but should help save most everything else in a light drop. They feel solid, and look unobtrusive. The 'locking' attachment sytem for the bags is simple and effective.
I received one 15L bag mounting plate to try, which was pretty large, and decided to return it for the 10L version. Twisted Throttle were very cool about returning the unwanted plate. Now, I'm waiting for the new 10L plates and bags, due around mid May.
I know they're pricey but, so far, I'm impressed with the level of design and practicality of Motech products. I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Givi Trekker Dolomiti cases here. Wanted lockable hard luggage with enough room for a week or so on the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can share their experiences with Saddle Bags and/or Side Case options on their Baby GS.

I currently have it narrowed down to 2 options but would love to hear/see what others decided on and their experiences with that particular option. Any insight much appreciated, Thanks.

Hard Case expensive option:

Soft Saddle Bag cheaper option:
I installed the Shad 3 point system, did almost 2,000 miles around Baja, California with no problems, less than $500 USA bucks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Giant Loop's Coyote or Grand Bassin saddlebags seem interesting...

Jenny (& Piglet) is a great fan (look up her adventures on the G310GS on this forum or on ADVRider)

For the more frugal, like me :

The ViaTerra Claw or Claw Mini have been a good solution for me, even though I had to relocate the rear flashers.

Made in India.....shipping cost relative to product price is surprising but the total (~ 130 $CAD) is still low compared to other products.

I use the Claw Mini (around 35 litres) day to day, and the Claw (around 65 litres) for longer trips.

I was a return customer for the second bag after a year with the Mini on my previous bike(CBR250R), if that can stand for an endorsement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had Hepco Beckers C Bow system for 2 years now. I have the soft bags which lock on to the C Bow mount system. They lock on and can be removed in seconds. I am quite happy with them. I believe there are hard cases now available that fit the same C Bow mounts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a pair of Hepco & Becker junior 40 liter bags left over from a previous bike. As a topbox I use a pelican-look-a-like toolbox. The H&B-boxes are a little bit to wide and I would have preferred the 30 liter boxes, but one has to go with what's available. At least they are roomy and almost indestructible. The side carriers for the juniors will also support my recently purchased ViaTerra Claw soft bag system, if they need supporting, when going off-road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went with the 3P system and a pair of SH23’s. I use the top case light (which also happens to be made by Shad) and it seems to give me everything I need.

One thing I don’t like is the left side is a bit too close to the turn indicator - but does not seem to cause any issues. Shad could have done a little better with making the 3P system fit better with the bike, but I am satisfied so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Went with the 3P system and a pair of SH23’s. I use the top case light (which also happens to be made by Shad) and it seems to give me everything I need.

One thing I don’t like is the left side is a bit too close to the turn indicator - but does not seem to cause any issues. Shad could have done a little better with making the 3P system fit better with the bike, but I am satisfied so far.
View attachment 14718
I like the concept of the Shad 3P system because when your bags/cases are off they look pretty innocuous. It’s a pity there aren’t (as far as I’m aware) aluminium side cases which use this system.
I’ve ordered Trax 35L cases for mine which have to use a ‘universal’ mounting frame. Sadly these frames have brackets with multiple holes for bolting to various bikes. As I don’t usually ride without the cases attached these will be ok until something more bespoke comes along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts