BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

SDS today

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kris 
#1 ·
My G310GS got about 2 miles from home and suffered "sudden death syndrome", from an electrical malfunction. Started a little harder than normal but once running it seemed fine until it just quit. Nothing happened when I tried to restart, good bright headlight, but zip, nada, silence, when I hit the start button, not even a feeble grunt. Checked side stand, kill switch, battery connections, and all the other normal places and things that can go phooey. Trailered it to the dealer (90 miles away) where it did reluctantly start but showed no unusual fault codes, but the battery was low on voltage. It's been running fine up until this point, and the only extra draw was a GPS and electric gloves, which has been standard use items for the last couple months in NE PA. Dealer is keeping it for observation and further testing. :crying:

#5 ·
Just spoke to dealer today who said they tried a rectifier, but that didn't fix the problem, so they checked the alternator and found broken and burned wires. New one on order, should get the bike back next week. It is a 2018 GS, with just shy of 3k miles, which i bought new the end of Sept, so overheating on hot summer days are ruled out as a cause. The day it died it was in the low 20's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.