BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this issue ? Apart from the occasional cat taking a nap on it, the pillion seat is not normally used. Not sure what best course of action is. New seat or or get it recovered. I'd guess a recover would cost more but actually last longer. Anyone had a seat recovered in UK ? Any recommendations ?

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
367 Posts
'sun' haha here in ol blighty ...!
yes we do get a few good days ..
Anyway ...I'd get it recovered and at the same time get a gel insert and any other mods for your personal comfort and looks.
My bonneville seat was done by the previous owner - there's a sticker on there. If you want I'll make a note of it for you.
Or you can recover yourself - I did my honda 650 a while ago.
You do need a very powerful stapler . youtube will have some tutorials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, definitely not the sun. Even with global warming it's not really an issue here. I don't think recovering this myself is really an option even with an industrial stapler . It's not really the regular type of shape that bike seats used to be. I haven't seen any kits and it would need some special shaped covering or end up looking awful.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Glad to make you blokes laugh, but what is it in your environment that can degrade the seat cover so quickly.
Could it be the tea, the kippers or whatever else you guys call food , and the intestinal gas it produces?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to make you blokes laugh, but what is it in your environment that can degrade the seat cover so quickly.
Could it be the tea, the kippers or whatever else you guys call food , and the intestinal gas it produces?
Well if it was the rider's part of the seat then you might be on to something but it is only the pillion part really and that is virtually never used. It's a 4 year old bike with <12000 miles.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well if it was the rider's part of the seat then you might be on to something but it is only the pillion part really and that is virtually never used. It's a 4 year old bike with <12000 miles.
I think bbelanger is on to something. The damaged part of the seat is just behind the riders behind and as they say in Swenglish (about traffic accidents): It's not the fart that kills, it's the smell.

Ps. Speed in Swedish is fart and bang, slap, whack, crack, knock, smash is smäll (pronounced smell)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think so. We're not like you Nordics, on a diet of lentils and rotting fish. I can recall my time in Copenhagen, there was a hell of a lot of bådfart's.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't think so. We're not like you Nordics, on a diet of lentils and rotting fish. I can recall my time in Copenhagen, there was a hell of a lot of bådfart's.
I know it's off topic, but withhold it from our English speaking public: In Sweden they even have infarts.

Ps. Infart is Swedish for a drivable entry (e.g. to garage), and utfart is exit.

·
Registered
Currently bikeless. Buying a GS310 in Spring 2021
30 Posts
Anyone had this issue ? Apart from the occasional cat taking a nap on it, the pillion seat is not normally used. Not sure what best course of action is. New seat or or get it recovered. I'd guess a recover would cost more but actually last longer. Anyone had a seat recovered in UK ? Any recommendations ?

View attachment 16274
I notice you mention "a cat sleeping on it ", Any chance a cat has used your seat as a scratching post?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts