BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’m still trying to decide. It would help if i could find out if I could shave the bmw seat on the sides, without making it look funny. Someone suggested sliding up to start out and stop but I wonder if doing that(shaving the seat) would solve my height issue. My hesitation about the z400 is the reach for me. There are 1” and 1.25” risers available but without actually sitting on it with the risers, I don’t know whether they’d work.
The reach on the bmw doesn’t seem as bad for me. So, the bmw has the bad seat and the z400 has the bad bars. I’d raise the bars on the bmw too but I know that the risers would work on that bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well that’s no good then, best stick with the BMW
I have to say, l think the G310 is a great looking bike and manages to look “like a BMW”
Which of course it is, but bearing in mind the low price it’s nice that it has the BMW look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m still trying to decide. It would help if i could find out if I could shave the bmw seat on the sides, without making it look funny. Someone suggested sliding up to start out and stop but I wonder if doing that(shaving the seat) would solve my height issue. My hesitation about the z400 is the reach for me. There are 1” and 1.25” risers available but without actually sitting on it with the risers, I don’t know whether they’d work.
The reach on the bmw doesn’t seem as bad for me. So, the bmw has the bad seat and the z400 has the bad bars. I’d raise the bars on the bmw too but I know that the risers would work on that bike.
The 310R has a bad seat and bad bars! I'm planning to modify the seat once I find a cheap spare seat on eBay. I'm going to shave that stupid area that you mentioned.

The bar is also bad. I replaced the bars with the FZ07 bars. Now it is way more comfortable.

It is very easy to find the handlebars that you like and fit you.
I assume that you want the basrs to be closer to you?

·
Registered
23 Posts

My wife had Renazco shave her seat down lower and narrower and it was quite an improvement. She also swapped the stock exhaust for a high-mount one so she could ditch the passenger peg mounts, which made the bike a fair bit narrower and thus easier to reach the ground. She did end up ordering a lowering shock from Rally Raid but she runs it at only -10mm because she wants to preserve as much ground clearance as possible - she has run out of ground clearance on trail rides before (like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnwjVhthhAH/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet). On this bike, as with any of the bikes she's ridden, she always slides right up to the front of the saddle where it's narrowest when she comes to a stop.

For bar risers, she's running Rally Raid's oversized handlebar mounts with a Renthal fatbar in the RC-High bend, which is a bit taller than stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Now with all the information that you have, what have you decided?
Well, at this point, I’d probably get the z400 if I could afford it but I can’t. Even used, with taxes, transport and a little bit of protective accessories would put me around 4500-4600 and I really didn’t want to spend that for a first bike and right now, it’s a little bit out of my budget.

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
don't buy the G310R straight away, try haggling for a low seat.

I.e. ask them what their best price is for the G310R, then say that you'll take it straight away if they exchange the seat with a low seat. It's worth a try. There's not much margin in the 310s so see how you go.

Another thing to try to get them to do is promise a loaner if the bike needs to go into service. e.g. in passing, you could ask them: 'do you provide a loaner bike free of charge when my bike comes in for a service' they'll probably want your business so they'll say yes.

If you really want to push it, you could try to get your run in service for free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If I buy anything, it will probably be from a private seller. Not being able to test ride anything, having just gotten an endorsement, I’m relying on things that I read, to make a decision. Plus, what feels right now, as a new rider, may not later. With all the modifications I’d end up making on the bmw for comfort, it’s not much cheaper than the z400. Writers, owners, everybody seems split on which bike is preferable. I don’t mean one is really superior but there are good and bad features on both.
I don’t know. I keep going back and forth between the two.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Remember. You are riding for your own enjoyment. It doesn't matter what others think.
Pick the bike that YOU want and not what others want you to pick.

For example, although I would prefer to ride the Z400, I'm still 100% happy riding the G310R with no regrets. I only have Z400 envy for better power. I think the G310R looks premium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello guys. Yesterday I went on a 200+ kms ride with some veteran riders who had a minimum 650cc bike. I enjoyed my ride and this is my longest ride till now as my G310R sits at just 1250 kms.
However my butt started paining right after 45 mins/1 hour. I realised that I was somehow sitting towards the tank rather than towards the end of the rider seat. So I pushed back but again it didn’t comfortable.
So my question is, does the G310 seat needs additional cushioning for more comfortable highway ride or I am somehow sitting incorrectly?

Note: I have handlebar risers installed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts