BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All;

TITLE : self change engine oil - how to disabled service-due indicator

I purchase my BMW G310R in JUNE 2018, and until today ( 29/08/2019 ) ( more than a years ) my millage is just 7,500km.
I purchase two bottle of BMW Motorrad Advantec Engine Oil 15W-50 ( MYR 75.02 per bottle ) and a Oil Filter ( MYR 75.02 ) ( PN: 11428562889 ) for my BMW G310R,
already changed it myself ...
but I am wondering, during the 10,000km, the service-due indicator will be appear and how to disabled it ? . :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Good for you to do this service yourself.

As for the service indicator reset, I am far from an expert, but my understanding is that you need to be able to communicate with the bike's 'brain', for which as far as I know there are only two solutions available to us consumers: the Motoscan app + OBD reader (together around $100), and the GS911 code reader (more $). I bought the Motoscan app and it has worked flawlessly, including for resetting the 'service due' message.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
177 Posts
In an earlier thread on this someone mentioned that changing the date display, I think to some point in the future, fooled the system and cancelled the indicator. After all, who really needs a motorcycle to tell them what day it is?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
service indicator cant expand more than 50,000km and 3 years

trying to change the service indicator .. and found out that it can't be expand more than 50,000km and 3 years ... example :

my current date is 20/SEPTEMBER/2019
MILEAGE : 9976.0KM

try an error .. it allow until 3 years ... and around 50,000km only ...

*NEXT SERVICE DATE : 19 September 2022*
*NEXT SERVICE DISTANCE : 51,000KM*
*can use for 3 years for 41,024KM*

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
PCV, you are correct. The "service" reminder is a time based reminder. It will come on every 365 days after it was reset.

The easy way to extinguish it is to back up the "year" setting during the date setup. I maintain a written log of services

whether done by the dealer or myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
u managed to do it by increasing more than 10 years ? . and 300,000 km ? .

the GS911 OBD are not able to do it ...

my current date is 20/SEPTEMBER/2019
MILEAGE : 9976.0KM

try an error using the GS911 .. it allow until 3 years ... and around 50,000km only ...

*NEXT SERVICE DATE : 19 September 2022*
*NEXT SERVICE DISTANCE : 51,000KM*
*can use for 3 years for 41,024KM*

·
Registered
16 Posts
PCV, you are correct. The "service" reminder is a time based reminder. It will come on every 365 days after it was reset.

The easy way to extinguish it is to back up the "year" setting during the date setup. I maintain a written log of services

whether done by the dealer or myself.

This worked for me when I replaced my battery and it came on but then later when I went over 7000 miles it came back on and would not go even after fiddling with the date. I am pretty sure now that it is both time and mileage set (unless I am missing something). I considered getting the app and OBD reader but have not currently done so being unable to reconcile spending money just to remove a service light.

Thinking I might wait until my bike needs its valve check at around 15000 miles and then attempt to persuade a BMW mechanic to set it not to come on till 50,000 miles. Doubtless they'll think I am a tightwad but I like working on the bike myself and saving money :smile2:

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
The Motoscan app does more than reset the service reminder of course, it's a way to check all systems also. I have code readers / resetters for my cars and BMW bikes so I can troubleshoot + check for issues.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
It is time and mileage based, whatever comes first. I managed to get BMW to do the 10,000km and 2 year service at the same time and tick off both. I.E. they conducted the most comprehensive service of the two to save costs compared to conducting the 2 year service and then the 10,000km service in 3 months time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have reset my service indicator by setting a date couple of months back (shouldn't be too far in the past) in a SETUP menu. The reset indicator disappeared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts