BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I write from Bengaluru, India. I need your help and honest reviews. I'm totally enticed to buy the G310R BS6, I've never owned a personal motorcycle so I don't know anything about service and maintenance. I would be really grateful if someone could down a rundown of what will be serviced and the approximate cost of a 3 year ownership!

I've heard that service and maintenance is where the bike becomes expensive, and that doesn't make sense to me because of my limited knowledge.

So a comparison with a bike from the same 300cc class (Apache RR310, KTM etc) would also help a ton!
Thank you so much!!.
Hopefully looking forward to owning one of these!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unless you can do your own work then, alas, in getting a BMW you are buying In to the "lifestyle" and its concomitant costs (the reason why BMW have produced the 310). Even the latest Enfields are, by and large, still designed to be worked on by a guy sitting on a kerbstone at the side of the road (and all the better for that).

I recall horror being loudly expressed on here when the servicing costs in India were first announced. You might find that with a search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you can do your own work then, alas, in getting a BMW you are buying In to the "lifestyle" and its concomitant costs (the reason why BMW have produced the 310). Even the latest Enfields are, by and large, still designed to be worked on by a guy sitting on a kerbstone at the side of the road (and all the better for that).

I recall horror being loudly expressed on here when the servicing costs in India were first announced. You might find that with a search.
Hey thanks for replying! So if I were to do it myself like you suggested, what all would I have to do/learn about? And would that be problematic for warranty?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am not familiar with the consumer law over there as regards warranty but I'd at least get the running in check done by a dealer. As you have no experience I'd say that oil changes are easy but other aspects in later services are not so straightforward, largely due to access (there's a lot crammed in to a small space on a modern bike).

There's good info on the 310 here https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQKFdBVQbT8sO80KwCIo_Lg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not familiar with the consumer law over there as regards warranty but I'd at least get the running in check done by a dealer. As you have no experience I'd say that oil changes are easy but other aspects in later services are not so straightforward, largely due to access (there's a lot crammed in to a small space on a modern bike).

There's good info on the 310 here https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQKFdBVQbT8sO80KwCIo_Lg
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
35 Posts
Hey all! I write from Bengaluru, India. I need your help and honest reviews. I'm totally enticed to buy the G310R BS6, I've never owned a personal motorcycle so I don't know anything about service and maintenance. I would be really grateful if someone could down a rundown of what will be serviced and the approximate cost of a 3 year ownership!

I've heard that service and maintenance is where the bike becomes expensive, and that doesn't make sense to me because of my limited knowledge.

So a comparison with a bike from the same 300cc class (Apache RR310, KTM etc) would also help a ton!
Thank you so much!!.
Hopefully looking forward to owning one of these!

I had a 310 R and find the service interval to be so much greater than any other bike I have had the cost is, in my opinion, reasonable. I now have the 310 GS and the same applies. after the first service it’s 10,000 Ks or once a year. It is not a bike you want ”to do it yourself“. My earlier BMWs were easy and I was much younger then🧐

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 310 R and find the service interval to be so much greater than any other bike I have had the cost is, in my opinion, reasonable. I now have the 310 GS and the same applies. after the first service it’s 10,000 Ks or once a year. It is not a bike you want ”to do it yourself“. My earlier BMWs were easy and I was much younger then🧐
Did you feel like it was muuucch more expensive or just a lil more expensive 🤔

1 - 9 of 9 Posts