BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just paid around $250 US for our running in check.
Wow!
That's gouging the consumer big.
$50 dollars worth of parts, if even that, and 45 minutes of labour, if the tech is decent.

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
I just paid around $250 US for our running in check.
That seems a lot, did they itemise the bill?

Ask them to itemise, ask why it took so long, tell them that it's one of the most expensive run in service in the world!

Write a complaint letter to BMW USA, if you write it nicely, they might refund or give you a credit towards your next service.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just got my run in check today and was $225 the price seems to be that some dealers are just changing the oil and filter and doing a diagnostic on the bike. That is what 3 dealers told me and they ranged in price from $169 to $185. The dealer I bought mine from did the following for the run-in service.
Change oil and filter and gasket ring, do diagnostic on computer, adjust the valves and the decompression valve ( this may be for the cold starting issues ), adjust the chain then clean and lube it, adjusted the clutch and brake levers, checked the tire pressure, radiator fluid, brake fluid, brake pads for ware and proper bedding, checked the steering head and fork oil. Then had it washed. Total time billed 1.53 hrs.
I talked with the other dealers and asked exactly what they did for the run in service in comparison and they said that they charged extra if the customer wanted the other stuff done at the run in service.
Not sure if they are going by the book or not but I would ask your intended dealer to tell you exactly what they are doing for the run in service.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first service according to BMW Motorrad USA is supposed to take 1.2 hours. If you have gone out and mudded up the chain, I imagine the dealer will want to charge you additional if you cannot manage to clean up the mess yourself. Unless you want to pay more labor, please clean and lube your chain before you arrive at the dealer. Also clean the outer dirt of the bike itself, again, unless you want to pay the technician to do it....

BMW recall campaigns are no charge for labor and parts so if the dealer installs new bolts or something related to a recall, he should not try to charge you!

The dealer will want to charge you the rather high price for BMW motor oil and if you ask before service, he may allow you to bring in your Motul or whatever which is priced substantially less if you buy the 4 litre container. No aftermarket manufacturer yet has a compatible oil filter so the near $16 BMW filter is a given. The rest of the cost is the labor which will depend on the prevailing rates in your country for the 1.2 hours. See my previous post below for the price in the midwest region of the US. Ask in advance what the technician will perform and the expected time to complete, and if it is prorated for more than 1.2 hours, ask him why the additional time. In the US, the entire service should be under $175.

"In the United States, BMW uses a service estimator tool (in their computer) which shows the hours for each procedure.

The estimator tool "quotes" 1.2 hours for the 1st (1000km) service. Recall items, if any are no-charge parts and no-charge labor.

In my region, most dealers charge around $105 per hour, so the labor for the 1st service would be $126 plus the oil, filter, and gasket kit.
In the US, the oil, filter and gasket kit is $47.51 so the 1st service would be $126 plus $47.51 for a total of $173.51 plus local tax. "

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got a quote, from an official BMW Motorrad dealer in the Netherlands, for the 1000 km check: a total of €105 (or 130 USD), including running in check, 1.7 liter of oil and an oil filter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Already posted this in a similar thread, for your reference, this is the official list of tasks to be performed on the 1st service:
http://www.g310rforum.com/forum/32609-post27.html
They "check" a lot of little things, like if your lights are working and your tires... inflated, but the main, real work is towards changing that oil and the filter really.

·
Registered
50 Posts
$250 at San Francisco Dealership-- cost of living here translates to everything? :laugh:
Thanks,:frown2: I will warn my brother as he lives in the Bay Area and is thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I despise flat rate labor charges.
I know for a fact that the vast majority of flat rate charges are over estimated.
Technicians getting paid for twice the labor time they actually take to do the work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So the BMW computer says that the flat rate for first service is 1.2 hours and the current price for the oil change kit is $47.51.

At $250 for the total service, that means the labor charge was $250.00 minus the $47.51 or $202.49. At 1.2 hours, that translates to an hourly labor rate of $202.49/ 1.2 or $168 per hour. In Ohio, the labor would have been billed at $97 to $105 per hour depending on the dealership so I am here to tell you that the San Francisco dealership is a crook!

But I do not want to believe that so I would ask you to challenge the service manager and ask him why the service was so expensive. Perhaps he charged you for something that should have not been billed. If I were in your shoes, I would want an itemized bill showing why the billing was so high. Just Sayin' !

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've just come off the phone trying to book my first service (600m) and Coopers Motorrad of Sunderland. NE England have quoted me a price of £190 (272$)
There is no way I am going to pay that kind of money for a 600 mile service. I have found another BMW service center at £60 cheaper. so I'm off in the morning to have it done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've just come off the phone trying to book my first service (600m) and Coopers Motorrad of Sunderland. NE England have quoted me a price of £190 (272$)
There is no way I am going to pay that kind of money for a 600 mile service. I have found another BMW service center at £60 cheaper. so I'm off in the morning to have it done.
hi blackie, i paid exactly £100 at the bmw dealer in peterborough! but the bill was not itemised :frown2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
baitbox that's a dealer worth visiting!.
to the rest of this thread-
I think (some)BMW dealers operate like this. You phone up, they ask what kind of service you require and what bike is it so they probably have a full workshop for the next week or two, and since they can't make a lot of money on a measly G310R ist service they mention a high price on the basis that they hope you will go somewhere else or, if you accept that price they win anyway (the high price £190!) because lets face it, how long does it take to drain oil and replace a filter? they can do that while continuing to service someone else's bike at the same time. As for checking everything else, well I'm old and cynical and have my doubts about SOME dealers idea of a thorough check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am from India and just booked GS310. I was wondering what is maintenance interval for GS after breaking period and what is the average cost per servicing.

I have heard we need to change chain sprocket and fork after every 15000 km. Chain sprocket is ok but why Fork???

Thanks.
Sunil Lokhande

21 - 40 of 66 Posts