BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Disabling the rear ABS is easy, just push the ABS button that's what it's for.
yes, but that button disables both front and rear abs. if anything, not having rear abs is more risky because the rear wheel locks much easier. i had experienced a few times the fishtailing on my older bikes. pretty scary. in front, the suspension action acts as buffer when you press brake too hard.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yes, but that button disables both front and rear abs. if anything, not having rear abs is more risky because the rear wheel locks much easier. i had experienced a few times the fishtailing on my older bikes. pretty scary. in front, the suspension action acts as buffer when you press brake too hard.
I believe the ABS button disables the rear only, got a source that says otherwise? Please share.

Locking up the rear is where the fun is!

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
If you really want the rear to slide out without disabling the ABS, just shift into first gear at speed ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I believe the ABS button disables the rear only, got a source that says otherwise? Please share.

Locking up the rear is where the fun is!
i have no looked into it, because like having ABS on, but there is no indication in the manual that only rear abs is deactivated. I am pretty sure that both channels are deactivated. otherwise, bmw could be sued for misinforming the riders. I guess the way you can test it, is to disable ABS and brake hard in the front. If you don't crash, this will prove your theory is right :)

ABS is a security devise, but it cannot be totally relied upon in the front, because the front wheel can still slide, especially if there is sand on the road. The rule of thump is to engage front brake gradually. Some experts say, that the duration of engaging the front brake to full stop should take the same time as counting 'one thousand and one'. In emergency I would press both brakes hard, while praying to God, even though am an atheist.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There may or may not be a post describing such a situation somewhere on this forum:grin2:
i know that you are joking. but just digressing, when going to lower gear without using brakes, one has to do rev-matching or else gear box or clutch get damaged. rev-matching, for those who don't know, is that you give more throttle to get higher rpm to match the revs of the engine, just before you go to a lower gear. i am lazy, so I usually just use brakes before downshifting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No harm in Backing it in. It depends on how you want to ride. You can back it into a corner. Due to the soft nature of the GS and relatively hard tyres(compared to sports compound), It isn't too harsh. Yes, additional wear in the long run compared to riding "normally" with rev matching.
I do it occasionally but mainly in dirt which has less traction and not too much adverse effects.
It's just a good Combination of balance transfer, braking and clutch and gearbox.

i know that you are joking. but just digressing, when going to lower gear without using brakes, one has to do rev-matching or else gear box or clutch get damaged. rev-matching, for those who don't know, is that you give more throttle to get higher rpm to match the revs of the engine, just before you go to a lower gear. i am lazy, so I usually just use brakes before downshifting.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Yeah, me too, usually just brakes and clutch to downshift.

Sometimes I downshift without clutch, to do this, I use engine braking, put downward pressure on the gear shifter and throttle up so that it slips into the lower gear, fun when you get it right.

In regards to changing into first at speed, I once thought I was in 3rd gear but was actually in 2nd, and changed into 1st before a corner (thinking it was second) and released the clutch a bit too quickly and had the rear tyre slip out a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So has anyone figured out how to remove the service reminder using an OBDII connector? I only have a scan tool and couldnt see an option to remove the service reminder.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
You need the Motoscan application or the GS-911 diagnostic tool, do a search and you will find a lot of info. Can also set the clock year (back I think - I got the motoscan app).

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
47 Posts
The service reminder has been showing on my instrument cluster for about the last four months.

I chatted with the service manager at our local dealership the other day and he told me that the reminder was calendar based.
Today I went into the setup mode and set the date back two years, voila, the reminder disappeared!
Super helpful! Works perfectly after completing a home oil change

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have reset my service indicator by setting a date couple of months back (shouldn't be too far in the past) in a SETUP menu. The reset indicator disappeared.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts