BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was not terribly impressed with my local BMW dealer when I was looking for a GS but, in the end, a more distant dealer had an unmissable used machine with less than fifty miles on the clock and I negotiated the 600 mile inspection as part of the price.
Not wanting a longer trip for the 6000 mile service I thought I would use my local dealer so popped in today.

Things got off to a less than promising start when the service guy did not know what a 6000 mile service was, "Is that the first annual service?" he asked.

Any small local bike shop can give you a price for a routine service, but not BMW it seems. Having established what was wanted he had not a clue what the cost might be.

The best he could come up with was, "It'll be less than for a 1200 I suppose", followed by, "It could be a bit over £200, or it could be a lot less".

I suggested that it might be the same as they had charged the last unfortunate to have his 310 serviced there but he did not take the hint to look up his records on that (the screen was right in front of him).

He went on to say that no BMW dealer in the UK could give a price for a service without working it out from parts and labour but this was apparently too much effort for him to do.

Absolutely appalling - not even halfway professional.

I'd be interested to know the experience of others on this, and what the service costs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you can’t find someone local to do the service, and can’t do it yourself, I’d go back to the dealer you bought it from. But your local BMW guy doesn’t deserve another minute of your time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can’t find someone local to do the service, and can’t do it yourself, I’d go back to the dealer you bought it from. But your local BMW guy doesn’t deserve another minute of your time.

Once it's out of warranty it won't see a dealer, don't worry. Experience has shown that I can do a better job than the average dealer - I could bore you with the efforts of three Suzuki dealers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had just as bad an experience with a local Yamaha dealer. I had an XSR700 at the time and it had gone in fora service and to "solve" a problem. My bike came out of there with the chain tightened like a bow string! I adjusted it on getting home. The gearbox never did sound the same afterwards 🙄.

·
Registered
236 Posts
what a load of old b0[[oX..
they are just preying on folk who have no care about money.
I find it utterly inconceivable that BMW do not have a standard charge for a standard service.
As others have said " D I Y " its not a complicated bike [ heavens it was built in india ! ]
OR find a good independant 'bike shop' ... luckily I have 2 near me who are utterly brilliant and charge a very realistic fee.
ok rant over ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take it to your local trusted bike dealer/shop
Let them do the service.
If they are an established business and stamp your service book your warranty will be fine.
I can’t see how BMW could legally weasel out of a warranty claim, in the unlikely event that you get an engine or running gear fault.

Certainly in the U.K. it’s not a legal requirement to use the supplying dealer for servicing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have you anyone like the below in your area.
https://www.theworkshopyork.com/
I have already been in touch regarding my bike and he can service BMW's and still keeps the warranty, my bike is going to him.
I googled BMW approved in the ......... area.

Sadly nobody approved like that in my area and, as it is due the brake recall inspection, I may as well go to a main dealer to simplify things.

There have been developments though. I contacted the place I bought the bike from to be told they were with a customer but would call me back. Four hours later I have to assume they have more work than they can handle and aren't interested.

I phoned a dealer in the north east of England but the service person, again, couldn't understand what a 6000 mile service was and reeled off a list of service titles which meant nothing to me in this context. I was told "I only book in what I'm told to book in". How is the customer supposed to know what the secret code is if a BMW dealer can't tell them?

Perhaps I should have bought the Honda I was considering.

Anyway, Lloyds in Carlisle were immediately able to give me a price and tell me exactly what work would be done, without any prevarication.

Looks like I'm in for a 200 mile round trip.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was not terribly impressed with my local BMW dealer when I was looking for a GS but, in the end, a more distant dealer had an unmissable used machine with less than fifty miles on the clock and I negotiated the 600 mile inspection as part of the price.
Not wanting a longer trip for the 6000 mile service I thought I would use my local dealer so popped in today.

Things got off to a less than promising start when the service guy did not know what a 6000 mile service was, "Is that the first annual service?" he asked.

Any small local bike shop can give you a price for a routine service, but not BMW it seems. Having established what was wanted he had not a clue what the cost might be.

The best he could come up with was, "It'll be less than for a 1200 I suppose", followed by, "It could be a bit over £200, or it could be a lot less".

I suggested that it might be the same as they had charged the last unfortunate to have his 310 serviced there but he did not take the hint to look up his records on that (the screen was right in front of him).

He went on to say that no BMW dealer in the UK could give a price for a service without working it out from parts and labour but this was apparently too much effort for him to do.

Absolutely appalling - not even halfway professional.

I'd be interested to know the experience of others on this, and what the service costs.
you are too serious. ok the person at the dealer did not know the price. so what? nobody is perfect...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
you are too serious. ok the person at the dealer did not know the price. so what? nobody is perfect...

I don't think it is unreasonable for a main BMW dealer's service rep to have some idea of what a 6000 mile service is and to be able to find out what the price is when asked. The information was, quite literally, at his fingertips. Basic customer service, ie what the dealer survives on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree
Unless they find something extra that needs doing.
The VW dealer have always been able to quote their price for servicing our cars.

If they find something extra that needs doing (such as brake pads) they call to advise of the extra cost, and do we want it doing?
So what’s the difference with a bike? The BMW dealer should be able to quote for a standard service.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I don't think it is unreasonable for a main BMW dealer's service rep to have some idea of what a 6000 mile service is and to be able to find out what the price is when asked. The information was, quite literally, at his fingertips. Basic customer service, ie what the dealer survives on.
I agree, the dealer should be able to give a really good indication of how much the service should cost (including taxes). If I know up front how much the service will cost and what it involves then I can feel confident that there won't be any rude surprises. If they find anything extra during the service they should call you to discuss what they have found and how much it will cost to fix. This is what my dealer does and they have been in business for over 100 years selling and servicing motorbikes.

You should ask how much it's going to be before you even book the service in, that way you wont feel trapped and will have a much better experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agree!

Particularly as it’s a (relatively) low value vehicle and a £300 service is expensive when the bike only cost £4,000 new

Rather than a car that cost £15,000 where £300 is more justifiable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts