BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's opinion on shifting without using the clutch on the G310R? I'm referring to shifting up only. I've always read about it and never actually tried it.

The research I've done claims it's fine as bikes use constant mesh transmissions. I did see a recommendation to not do it on bikes made in India for some reason...

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is speed shifting and it does work, but if it is not recommended it should not be done even if it works. I generally always use my clutch even though speed shifting works fine.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You have to develop a feeling for it.
It is possible to shift without using the clutch and in my humble opinion, it doesn’t hurt the bike.
I do it not al the time but I can do it.
It is even possible to downshift without using the clutch bit in this case, you also have to develope a feeling for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is speed shifting and it does work, but if it is not recommended it should not be done even if it works. I generally always use my clutch even though speed shifting works fine.
The "don't do it on Indian bikes" was more of a cut against quality. Not a design issue per se.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Didn't even know you could shift without the clutch. Do you just shift as usual without depressing the clutch? Is there a science to it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
These are BMW designed, not TVS designed. They are just manufactured in India.
The speed shifting feels the same as any other bike I have rode, but it is always better to use the clutch on any bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I agree use the clutch that's why its there!

Reactions: angiedave and k9vic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are BMW designed, not TVS designed. They are just manufactured in India.
The speed shifting feels the same as any other bike I have rode, but it is always better to use the clutch on any bike.
The largest reason I ask is because I've read it actually causes LESS wear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have clutchless shifted up and down on my 310 GS with no issues (so far!). Done this on many bikes over the years without any issues. It is useful when off road when I want to grip the bar well but need to change gear, particularly when the going is tricky / rocky / slippy.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I sometime do it going up, nice and smooth when you do it correctly. Actually recommended when carrying a passenger so you don't lose too much power and get a jerky shift leading to helmets banging together. Wouldn't recommend it going from 1st to second, but 2nd and up is fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did it to try it after reading about it and upshift worked fine. Didn't try downshifting because it didn't feel right. Also, I will not be doing it regularly because I don't want to develop bad habits, my muscle memory is programmed to use the clutch and I think that's how it should be if you ever want to test ride other bikes or simply switch with a buddy for the day for fun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Clutch is mandatory for launching and slooow maneuvering.
When in motion, I don't use the clutch for most of the upshifts and many downshifts sometimes down to 1.
There is a sweet spot where the transmission just shifts with no resistance whatsoever.
The important thing is to unload the drivetrain before the shift (ie quickly release and reopen throttle)

The 310 is the most smooth transmission I've had.

Anyway its way safer than powershifts (Wide Open throttle, and blip the clutch to shift)

My opinion and your mileage may vary etc etc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clutch is mandatory for launching and slooow maneuvering.
When in motion, I don't use the clutch for most of the upshifts and many downshifts sometimes down to 1.
There is a sweet spot where the transmission just shifts with no resistance whatsoever.
The important thing is to unload the drivetrain before the shift (ie quickly release and reopen throttle)

The 310 is the most smooth transmission I've had.

Anyway its way safer than powershifts (Wide Open throttle, and blip the clutch to shift)

My opinion and your mileage may vary etc etc
I agree what a lovely smooth box, and finding neutral is sooo easy too

Reactions: tianyang

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic. Finding neutral can be tricky in the first couple of hundred k's, but after that it is easy (not super easy, but easy):grin2:
Serious, I have ridden a new one, late 2018, perfect, and my bike with 3000K on the clock, so easy, no clunking. With my S1000RR and R is was a skill that had to be perfected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've read several times that it won't hurt anything, assuming you match the revs with your speed. It's extremely smooth when done right. That being said, I still use the clutch out of habit.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
For those that have not tried upshifting without a clutch, here's how you can practice:

Ride along in fourth gear, accelerate as you would before changing into fifth gear.

Get ready to push up on the gear pedal,

ease off a bit on the throttle, the sweet spot for shifting is located after power has been removed and before engine braking takes effect, push up on the gear pedal in this sweet spot.

The first couple of goes might be a bit jerky so practice in a safe area.

Another way of practicing is to gradually use less and less clutch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do it constantly on the up shift, when your cruising down the road and riding one handed, makes just cruising easy.

Downshifting is the same, a little more tricky but once you get the hang of it, it can be nice and smooth.

Rev matching downshift is mechanical the nicest thing you can do as it deceases wear on the syncros.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts