BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not a new thread, but I got recently annoyed by the fact that I cannot park the bike safely because of t standing too vertical so even a burst of wind can make it fall down. what bmw was thinking? I do have the main stand, but I am not going to use it each time I park the bike. anyway, today, I cut 10mm off the sidestand, which seems like a resonable compromise. 15mm would work too, but if you park the bike on a left side slope, it can lose control.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dd already welded it. I did not take the sidestand off, just cut when the bike was on the main stand, which allowed me to test it. the bike feels safer now when parking. the R model might not have the same issue because it is not so tall....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dd already welded it. I did not take the sidestand off, just cut when the bike was on the main stand, which allowed me to test it. the bike feels safer now when parking. the R model might not have the same issue because it is not so tall....

·
Registered
235 Posts

Probably a silly question, but confirm you did NOT remove the side stand from the bike????
I’m asking this because I remember the episode from Long Way Round when they had one of the BMs frames welded and it completely screwed the ABS system!
I was thinking seriously about shortening my side stand and I’m waiting for delivery of a paddock stand so I can take it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was thinking seriously about shortening my side stand and I’m waiting for delivery of a paddock stand so I can take it off!

What a toff, traditional motorcyclists (ie tight b#$$&¥s) like myself would just lean the bike against the garage wall:smile2:

My thoughts were that shortening the stand might just make it fractionally easier to get on and off the bike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My question was......wouldn't welding it while still attached to the bike irreparably damage the electronics?
why should it be? there is no connection to electronics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone try the R's stand? I've ordered a used one on eBay to see if it'll work (my 310gs has been lowered).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The electronics are connected to the frame (or they wouldn't work) and history shows that electric welding on the frame has been known to damage bike electronics.
Nothing got damaged in my case. you can always disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
235 Posts
why should it be? there is no connection to electronics.

Of course it is! The bike’s frame is the EARTH for every electrical system .
As I commented earlier, when they welded one of the bikes frames on Long Way Round it completely destroyed the ABS and the bike was totaled!
Personally I would not take the risk and I’ve only mentioned it to make other members aware of the serious risk they would take !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course it is! The bike’s frame is the EARTH for every electrical system .
As I commented earlier, when they welded one of the bikes frames on Long Way Round it completely destroyed the ABS and the bike was totaled!
Personally I would not take the risk and I’ve only mentioned it to make other members aware of the serious risk they would take !

soSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is good to know. I seemed to be lucky as I did 3 weldings on the gs, including welding adaptors for fog lights, and all is working as it should. From what I see on different forums, there are different opinions on the matter. Some say that they have been welding cars for 30 years without any issues. There is also a difference between electric and gas welding obviously, and some other types of welding. Some say to disconnect the battery, and others not to as the battery itself can absorb the spike caused by welding. having ground near the welding spot is also important. i don't have enough knowladge in this matter, so I guess unscrewing the sidestand would be a safer option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI the R stand, and though it may be shorter, is completely different and won't work. Wrong angle, wrong return spring location, just wrong. Save your money.

Don't ask me how I know!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did 2 things....
1 - I set the preload on the rear shock to mid position. This restricts the bike from compressing the suspension by a couple of mm when parked. This certainly helped but it wasn't the full solution. So:-
2 - I cut the foot off the bottom of the sidestand immediately above the weld and ground it flat and clean. Then I cut another 5 or 6mm off the bottom of the leg and welded it back on.. This combined reduction gave about a 10mm (1cm / 3/8") total leg reduction. (I removed the side stand switch and disconnected the battery before welding - no problems).
Now the bike sits at at far more reassuring angle without being too much on the lean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI the R stand, and though it may be shorter, is completely different and won't work. Wrong angle, wrong return spring location, just wrong. Save your money.

Don't ask me how I know!
Were you able to lower your bike? If so, what did you do regarding the side stand, since the R stand doesn't work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dealer lowered the bike without modifying the stand when I bought it with the understanding they'd fix that when I had the 1st service done. I bought a used "R" stand on eBay just to see if that'd work -it didn't. Ultimately the dealer sent the stand out to be shortened. There's just no way around it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts