BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
You understand correctly but I can't tell you a number. Plus I don't have the bike anymore lol.....

You would think there would be a proper factory or aftermarket solution by now.

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
Do I understand correctly that the dealer had the side stand cut and then welded? How much is it lowered? Thanks.
Hi, I purchased a G310GS just last week and as it turns out there is no after market side stand yet and when I asked the local BMW dealership to modify the side stand ... I was told that was not a service they offer. So, plan B was to seek out a local fabricator/welding shop who did a great job. Time required was 1 1/2 hrs ($135/cdn total)

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is there ANY indication that BMW have addressed this big problem and made corrections for the new generation model which has just be press released?

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
Hi Geoff, my local dealer located in Oakville/ON/Canada did not disclose any changes or availability of a replacement part when I asked him last week. Perhaps on launch BMW will provide an update

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I purchased a G310GS just last week and as it turns out there is no after market side stand yet and when I asked the local BMW dealership to modify the side stand ... I was told that was not a service they offer. So, plan B was to seek out a local fabricator/welding shop who did a great job. Time required was 1 1/2 hrs ($135/cdn total)
Wow - I found a guy in our small town who will do it for $20 if the stand is removed from the bike.,

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
Wow - I found a guy in our small town who will do it for $20 if the stand is removed from the bike.,
That's a great price! If you do take the stand off yourself, invest in a spring puller. There are 2 on the stand and present a challenge to remove them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a great price! If you do take the stand off yourself, invest in a spring puller. There are 2 on the stand and present a challenge to remove them.
I do have a couple of spring pullers and was glad I did when I removed the stand. If I recall correctly on another thread it was stated the bolt had a hex head. Mine had a torx, aka star, head. What was yours?

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
52 Posts
I understand after 2019 BMW changed the side stand design due problems!!! I have a 2019 BMW G310R and these have a hex bolt head.

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
I do have a couple of spring pullers and was glad I did when I removed the stand. If I recall correctly on another thread it was stated the bolt had a hex head. Mine had a torx, aka star, head. What was yours?
Mine is a torx ... a few years back I had an F800R and let the tools go when I sold it. Fortunately the shop had one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have any advice on how much to shorten the stand when the bike has been lowered two inches? The two inches is a vertical measurement but the side stand is at quite an angle from vertical so wouldn't the amount removed from it need to be somewhat more than 2 inches? I would l like the bike to have a little more lean when on the side stand than it did in stock form. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
I’m 5’ 4” and 120lbs with a 29” inseam. To flat foot (left foot ) I maxed out the sag on the rear ... had the side stand shortened by 1”. Bike has the right amount of lean and I can easily put the kick stand on/off. I’m upgrading the front/rear shocks to Rally Raid over the winter. Rear is the low shock. The kickstand is now at the right length for that mod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this problem within a certain time frame of the manufacturing date. (maybe they changed it on later models)
I have a 2019 GS and have no problem with the length of the side stand. In fact when I park it at home I put a 1x4 under it to get it more straight up?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cycleruss...the discussion is about lowered bikes for the vertically impaired ( I'm 5'4" with a 27" inseam) When you lower the bike the side stand must be lowered also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is not a new thread, but I got recently annoyed by the fact that I cannot park the bike safely because of t standing too vertical so even a burst of wind can make it fall down. what bmw was thinking? I do have the main stand, but I am not going to use it each time I park the bike. anyway, today, I cut 10mm off the sidestand, which seems like a resonable compromise. 15mm would work too, but if you park the bike on a left side slope, it can lose control.
Totally agree, the sidestand is a bloody nightmare, you have to look where is safe before you leave it as it would end up on the deck!

·
Registered
2018 G 310GS
27 Posts
I’m 5’ 4” and 120lbs with a 29” inseam. To flat foot (left foot ) I maxed out the sag on the rear ... had the side stand shortened by 1”. Bike has the right amount of lean and I can easily put the kick stand on/off. I’m upgrading the front/rear shocks to Rally Raid over the winter. Rear is the low shock. The kickstand is now at the right length for that mod
Update ... adding a kickstand enlarger.
I'm really disappointed with BMW. Thus far I'm out of pocket $220 to correct their design flaw. This is a first! I've never had a problem with any other manufacturer (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph or BMW F800R) it's not like you can lean a motorcycle against something when you park. Hope I didn't make a mistake trading the Triumph for the G310GS

·
Registered
235 Posts
My friend did mine in about 30 minutes or less. We put the bike onto a paddock stand, left the sidestand down. Disconnect the battery. Cut the foot off just above the weld with an angle grinder. Ground down the welds on the foot so the foot plate was flat. Took the bike off the paddock stand and let it sit on the new foot (to get the angle correct) and then tack welded. A quick check then weld all round! 30 minutes or even less! I then sprayed it black when I got home.
I bought him a couple of beers! Job done!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts