BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
BMW G310R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I have recently had a 2017 BMW G310R delivered on Sunday and so far I am loving the bike.

There are a few minor tweaks that need to be come before I am completely happy with it such as lowering the bike. Being 5,4 with a 28inch inseam does have it's downfalls.

So far I have found this one from Forsaken Moto Canada, that is the best price I have found. Being based in the UK may mean it'll cost a tad more for import charges.

Now, I've been out a few times, and I am getting used to the height. But I do feel it's just a matter of time before I drop it due to me being so short. Would anyone here advise lowering it after they have done it? Is it worth it?

If anyone has a lowering kit lurking in their garage, I'll be happy to purchase it off you.

Additionally, if anyone has any advice on installing the type of lowering kit from Forsaken Moto Canada, I would appreciate it. The only experience I have is the "dog bone" form factor or this one from T-rex racing which ends up being £100 shipping.

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
To answer your basic question, if you cannot put both feet on the ground, at least both sets of toes, then the answer is YES, fit a lowering kit. I fitted one to my '18 model. I am 153cm (5.0 feet tall) and it made a considerable difference in confidence and low speed handling, parking etc.
After searching the Internet for info, I consulted a local suspension shop who gave me the same options as the 'net'.
1. Full lowering kit, Wilbers (40mm) or Hyperpro (25mm) rear shock and fork spring.
2. Replacement lower r/shock mount for OE shock, Metisse (40mm) or Hornig (25mm)
& Replacement fork springs or forks pushed up in yokes.
I chose the full kit from Wilbers 40mm and I modified the side-stand myself , 35mm shorter.
After many years of DIY lowering experiences (not all successful) it was the easy option, un-bolt and re-fit.
The whole exercise was quite easy and successful and I so far have done 5K kms with this set-up.
Even in Australia, all parts were readily available, so in UK you should not have an availability issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the Wilbers kit, I paid 1200 AUD - 1000 for the kit and 200 for fork spring fitting as I had trouble with excessive
thread locking cement and didn't have the right tools for the job.
I was quoted about the same for the Hyperpro kit
For the replacement rear lower mounts Metisse/Hornig 220 AUD (fitting not quoted) and 270 AUD for fork springs fitted.
Theses prices are from memory and 2 years old so might not be accurate now.
My suspension shop gave me this advise 'long time ownership - fit the kit, short time ownership - replacement mount
and push-up the forks, this is easily reverse-able when selling
'.
I I intend on keeping my 310 for along time, I am really happy with it, more so now it's lowered,
so for me - money well spent.

·
Registered
BMW G310R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My suspension shop gave me this advise 'long time ownership - fit the kit, short time ownership - replacement mount
and push-up the forks, this is easily reverse-able when selling
'.
That seems like some good advice! I need to find a garage like that near me!

In terms of actual kits, I am struggling to find something that is local too at the very least, the UK. Seems everything must be imported.

Like yourself, I am very short, I am 5,4 but I do have a 28" inseam. So no legs.

With the 40mm drop, have you noticed any scraping of the foot pegs or any negatives I should be aware of? I do want to go the full 40mm in hopes that I'll be able to flat foot the bike after.

I have found this seller that sells 25mm drop in the front, as well as in the rear. I am going to contact them to see if they can supply a 40mm drop instead.

Would you suggest a suspension spring swap for both the rear and the forks or suspension eye change like the one available by Forsaken Motors?

Thank you for your help with this mate, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Just checked and the Wilbers kit is the same as the Forsaken Motors, so I'll probably go ahead and order the Forsaken Motors and find a shop too fit that for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 27 1/2 inch inseam and have had to lower almost all of the several adventure bikes I have owned, including the GS 310. Yes, it costs but so do repairs if you tip over (and potential medical bills). I used the lowering link sold by BMW of San Jose but the one from T-Rex racing appears to be an identical design and is consideably less expensive. It lowered the bike 2 inches and I had a local welder shorten the side stand and I raised the forks in the triple clamp about two inches. The reuslt is excellent - no change in handling, steering, ride quality, etc. But it now feels so much secure when riding it was well worth it. Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
BMW G310R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But it now feels so much secure when riding it was well worth it. Hope this is of some help.
I've been knocking my head back and forth about it. It's rather expensive bit of kit but I think you're right in regards to the stability and handling once I actually do it.

If I could sit on a lowered G310R then I can imagine how much happier I'd have been on it.

All in all, I think I just need to bite the bullet and get it ordered because I I'm okay for the occasional ride out, but it only takes one dodgy road and I've dropped it. $200 compared to the loss of all sorted of fairing is nothing.

Can you confirm how much ground clearance you lost, in terms of lean angle etc?

Thank you so much for your comment! ❤

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been knocking my head back and forth about it. It's rather expensive bit of kit but I think you're right in regards to the stability and handling once I actually do it.

If I could sit on a lowered G310R then I can imagine how much happier I'd have been on it.

All in all, I think I just need to bite the bullet and get it ordered because I I'm okay for the occasional ride out, but it only takes one dodgy road and I've dropped it. $200 compared to the loss of all sorted of fairing is nothing.

Can you confirm how much ground clearance you lost, in terms of lean angle etc?

Thank you so much for your comment! ❤
I don't know how much lean angle was lost in terms of degrees. However, I do not notice a difference. I don't ride it like a sport bike and don't attempt to push it to the limit so this is not a problem for me. Our inseams are almost the same and I can almost guarantee that you would really appreciate the security that would result from lowering it. 28 inch inseam and almost 33 inch seat height just don't fit together well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With my 40mm Wilbers kit I have a 30mm reduction in seat height down from 785 to 750mm,
ground clearance is similarly reduced from 180 to 150mm, so nothing dramatic, it doesn't affect handling, just makes he bike more comfortable and easier for you to handle.
If you have doubts, get some items of suitable thickness, 25,30,40mm, like paving stones, planks of wood and lay them on the ground, one each side near the foot-pegs, stand on one and get on, this should give you an idea of what to expect.
As for lean angle, in my 50 years of riding I have never heard of anyone being concerned about it, mostly you will never get that far over - it is something that would only affect racers.
Bite that bullet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With my 40mm Wilbers kit I have a 30mm reduction in seat height down from 785 to 750mm,
ground clearance is similarly reduced from 180 to 150mm, so nothing dramatic, it doesn't affect handling, just makes he bike more comfortable and easier for you to handle.
If you have doubts, get some items of suitable thickness, 25,30,40mm, like paving stones, planks of wood and lay them on the ground, one each side near the foot-pegs, stand on one and get on, this should give you an idea of what to expect.
As for lean angle, in my 50 years of riding I have never heard of anyone being concerned about it, mostly you will never get that far over - it is something that would only affect racers.
Bite that bullet.
So do you have cut the kick stand? Center stand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cutting/shortening of the kickstand/side-stand is necessary if you fit a lowering kit, not to do so will make the bike sit up nearly vertical and could create parking problems especially on sloping or uneven ground.
Wilbers recommended for my R, shortening by 35mm for my 40mm kit ( so perhaps 20mm on a 25mm kit).
I did this myself, by cutting the foot off the side-stand 35mm from the end and parallel with the ground, giving a big oval cut, quite easy as it is soft metal. The wire loop was cut at the foot only as it is needed for the spring.
I then welded on a flat plate to the end of the side-stand, a big one 40 x 80mm, my own version of a big foot, re-attaching the wire loop. This was not done in-situ, but removed and all done on a workbench.
As for a centre-stand, I would like to know myself. Centre-stands are listed as an accessory item but none are available, not even on e-bay.
They are available for the GS on e-bay, but even here reports have been made of fitting difficulties.

·
Registered
BMW G310R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bite that bullet.
Thank you so much for the info Bob! I really appreciate it!

Consider that bullet bit! I bought the lowering link from T-Rex Racing. Their customer support is very good as well as their website and instructions for fitting!

I still need to locate a welder to sort out the kickstand but doing that is a requirement before I lower it, as you said in another comment, parking will be a huge issue without doing that.

If anyone is interested, I can link some photos and info about the link I got from the USA. Postage is about 5 days so far. Still waiting.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where are you in the UK?

Cancel that, I've just seen you are in Cumbria - a bit too far for the welder I would have suggested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bite that bullet.
Really? I built cafe racers out of BSA B50s and ended up on the asphalt when I didn't down the side stand mount. Imagine the lean angle. I went back and looked after I healed and there was a groove in the corner on my racing line. It is always best to check everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts