BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
I am planning to buy a bmw g310r asap. However,when I had a test ride, I found out that the bike was not running smooth, the engine knocked at low speed, the gear transition was not smooth and I felt vibrations even at 4k rpm. The person at the showroom told that the bike was not handled properly and hence it was making noise. I want to know if it's really the case or is the bike really this bad?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would suggest you read the Complaints/Issues of this website and make your own mind up. Due to my experience with the 310GS I will never buy BMW again and I am not alone. There are however others that are happy and would buy again.

The choice is yours but there are other more reliable bikes out there.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Hi people,
I am planning to buy a bmw g310r asap. However,when I had a test ride, I found out that the bike was not running smooth, the engine knocked at low speed, the gear transition was not smooth and I felt vibrations even at 4k rpm. The person at the showroom told that the bike was not handled properly and hence it was making noise. I want to know if it's really the case or is the bike really this bad?
Knocking could be an issue with petrol, or are you lugging the engine? Gears can be a bit clunky when new, but they become buttery smooth when worn in. It's a thumper so there are going to be vibrations, the only way to see if they are normal or not is to compare to another g310r.

See if you can test another R or even a GS as they have the same engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knocking could be an issue with petrol, or are you lugging the engine? Gears can be a bit clunky when new, but they become buttery smooth when worn in. It's a thumper so there are going to be vibrations, the only way to see if they are normal or not is to compare to another g310r.

See if you can test another R or even a GS as they have the same engine.
Hi,
Can you share your personal experience?

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Hi,
My experience has been really good, it helps that I have a good dealer.

There are plenty of posts on the forum about people's experiences, but for me I found that the gears were a bit clunky to begin with, and it was hard to find neutral. The clutch was also something that you need to get used to, easy to stall when you're not used to it. I had some coolant leakage, but nothing to be alarmed about. The service tech explained the mechanics behind it and it stopped as advised. I find that it stops leaking when the coolant level is about half way between low and high, if I top it up it will leak until it gets back to the same level and then it will stop leaking. I haven't topped it up in about a year and haven't had any leaks in that time, and it hasn't gone below the half way mark in that time.

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Hi,
re the vibrations, make sure you're wearing gloves (shouldn't be riding if you aren't wearing gloves), and that you don't death grip the handlebars, pretend you're holding a sparrow in each hand and you don't want to squash them.

re the petrol, you want to be using 95ron or higher, any lower can give you problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend buying a new one.
I paid$ 3,000 usd. For a 2018 with 700 miles
For the price of a new bmw300 you can buy a new leftover Honda cbx500

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
I have started with a G310R and after eight months I bought the G310GS as a dailey driver.
Gears and clutch problems sounds familiar, no problems after running in.
Engine vibrations you will get used to it. I do not notice them.
Still very happy, and I like it more than a Honda. ;)

But I have a BMW family over here with the S1000R and HP2.
They all look good together! :love:

·
Registered
2020, 310 GS
33 Posts
Hi people,
No, it’s a great bike. I suggest that you find another dealer. Next time someone has a bad experience with a dealer how about we name names in our posts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi people,
What did she mean by “mishandled” ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts