BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking into different options of soft luggage, as well as methods on how to fasten bags / tents etc on the rear carrier (not hard case). I did get the OEM tank bag for all the small things.
So, post some photos and show what you have and give advice. I would like to know the following, and anything else you can advise on:

Which brands (we do have some international brands here) and how big is the soft bags you use.
How do you fasten them on the standard carrier without damaging the plastic piece (where the seat lock is).
How much do all that you carry weigh.
Does loading on the rear have any influence on the handling of the GS.

At this point I am not looking at saddle bags, but opinions on that is also welcome.

Tjeers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like a small hard box on the rack, dust and waterproof, lockable for my helmet. With a limit of 11 lbs the box only carries my sleeping bag. I wear the helmet under weigh Any excess weight back there will affect handling. The rack can break if over loaded. Then a duffle where pillion might ride. The Giant Loop bags would excell here, too much $$$ for me I’m going to experiment with some overalls actually….put leg onto passenger peg and fill up.
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle

This is how I’ve run on my mighty Van Van the 310 will be similar Tank bag doubles as GPS holder. This is as much I carry for a week. I used to make a living back packing light is second nature. I do bow down to being decrepit and use a small cot. With cot and bike all I need is a tarp, no tent. I haunt Craigslist for proper duffles. That Atacama BMW sells would be perfect but too much money. The Giant Loop would be Ultimate but even more money. Animals looking for your stuff to chew and eat are more discouraged by a hard box of some sort. I’ve had rodents eat fun holes in stuff over night.

Reactions: Helenus

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like a small hard box on the rack, dust and waterproof, lockable for my helmet. With a limit of 11 lbs the box only carries my sleeping bag. I wear the helmet under weigh Any excess weight back there will affect handling. The rack can break if over loaded. Then a duffle where pillion might ride. The Giant Loop bags would excell here, too much $$$ for me I’m going to experiment with some overalls actually….put leg onto passenger peg and fill up.
This is how I’ve run on my mighty Van Van the 310 will be similar Tank bag doubles as GPS holder. This is as much I carry for a week. I used to make a living back packing light is second nature. I do bow down to being decrepit and use a small cot. With cot and bike all I need is a tarp, no tent. I haunt Craigslist for proper duffles. That Atacama BMW sells would be perfect but too much money. The Giant Loop would be Ultimate but even more money. Animals looking for your stuff to chew and eat are more discouraged by a hard box of some sort. I’ve had rodents eat fun holes in stuff over night.
Thanks a lot, good advice. I also don't like to spend unnecessary, rather like to upcycle old stuff. Currently busy converting an unused and as good as new Lowepro camera backpack to go onto the carrier. Will post pics once done.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We’re not alone. May need to start a “re purpose“ thread. Makes my cry to see gobs of money spent needlessly though it’s good for the industry. The more important thing is to go go go. Spend money on that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @ARBOLMANO for your input, much appreciated, got a lot of info.
I am still interested in all the other tourers packing configuration setup, regardless of bags / costs etc. Like to know how you do it, and especially the weight and size (dimensions) considerations. Even if I don't buy similar brands / kits, but make / design my own.
I come from touring and camping two-up on 1100 / 1150 / 1200 GSs where we pack all and the dishwasher 🤣 So I need to scale down (no passenger the time).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Right you got me thinking. Yet to travel on the 310 and truthfully I’d hop on the Van Van to the woods if had time to go. But I did lay out gear for a 310. And packed onto bike no ties. Then a pict of a concept I’m working on with insulated overalls. Everything on top of box rides in box with sleeping bag around 12 lbs. Bag has stove fuel bottles cot pot with tea /coffee , tarpaulin
sleep pad, one tent pole, trusty shovel, water around 40lbs. once cinched, tidier than appears.
I make a shelter with tarp pole and motorbike/ picnic table and cot. This round (wee bikes) I’m using a BMW jacket. Nice pouch in back for hydration and lots of pockets for food bars. On this bike I would plan on one big sit down meal per day food bars and coffee. In doing all this I can see I need to find a new sack, sometimes have a box is a pain. Have bid in on a “atacama” bag….dry bag with tough cover, accessible pockets etc. Turns into backpack…..
Close enough to wife’s birthday…..I‘m thinking the Atacama would hold everything secure and dry, do away with box.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Purple Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Blue Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Purple Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I had a tough night. Finance minister not sure about large expenses for yet another bag. And I find myself double thinking not having secure storage. Insufficient room for Atacama and locking box. A good lock stops the casual thief or vandal. Also law requires guns to be locked away inaccessible to operator, even with a carry permit. I’ve always traveled with a weapon, I am an American eh? So I’m abandoning the Atacama concept and looking more at coveralls at gear hauling. Perhaps a bar that reaches from pass peg to frame mount for rack, strap pant leg to that.

·
Registered
G310GS
5 Posts
Simple 60 liter RockBros drybag from Amazon. Bottom straps go under seat and rack. Super easy. Also use RokStraps for extra worry/free miles. Holds my tent, cot, bag, kitchen sink, back rest, inflate-a-mate, etc. I’ve been to Baja and many camping trips. Too easy, dry, and cheap. Changes to riding are minimal. No drag from side bags. Works for me. Good luck. Ride
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
282 Posts
That bag looks like the one that came with my “bob” bicycle trailer. That‘s like my system only i add the lockable top box. Dry bags only have issue with sharp or really hot things.
Smaller is better

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simple 60 liter RockBros drybag from Amazon. Bottom straps go under seat and rack. Super easy. Also use RokStraps for extra worry/free miles. Holds my tent, cot, bag, kitchen sink, back rest, inflate-a-mate, etc. I’ve been to Baja and many camping trips. Too easy, dry, and cheap. Changes to riding are minimal. No drag from side bags. Works for me. Good luck. Ride
Great thanks for the information. I’ve got a similar size drybag, so I will start to use it, packed and mounted like you did.

·
Registered
G310GS
5 Posts
Simple 60 liter RockBros drybag from Amazon. Bottom straps go under seat and rack. Super easy. Also use RokStraps for extra worry/free miles. Holds my tent, cot, bag, kitchen sink, back rest, inflate-a-mate, etc. I’ve been to Baja and many camping trips. Too easy, dry, and cheap. Changes to riding are minimal. No drag from side bags. Works for me. Good luck. Ride View attachment 17138
Packing now for a weekend campout in Sierra Nevadas, yellow drybag weighs exactly 30 pounds. Tent, sleeping bag, chair, cot, hammock, air mattress, toiletries, sandals, change of clothes, water thermos…no tools, no food yet. This Rock Bros bag has handy straps on the bottom, perfect for strapping on rack and under seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts