BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the stock side stand can be replaced with another that
allows the bike to lean less? I parked in Motorcycle parking today and noticed

that the G310R leans a lot more than any of the other bikes.
Sometimes I'm afraid to let go of the bike after dismounting, what with the defective
side stands situation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you tried decreasing the rear preload? When I first got my GS, the preload was at it's lowest setting, and the bike was almost standing straight up and down while on the side stand. Once I cranked it up, the lean was much better.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hmmm, my G is sitting next to a C650 Sport and a 800GT and they all lean at the same angle. I hope it's the shock pre-load and not the side stand, already bending.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hope it's the shock pre-load and not the side stand, already bending.
From what I've seen, the side stand doesn't bend - the pivot tube splits and it's kind of a binary situation vs. a progressive one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the side stand on my GS shortened. The bike was near vertical with the rear wound right down, and as a shorty that’s where I need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I have noted the lean angle is quite severe when the bike is on the side stand, even when the spring pre-load is set at its lowest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Motorrad told me about a side stand recall. So far, mine seems to be "ok" except the pad being a little small and welded at a non optimal angle. I use a kick stand puck to ensure it has a good contact patch and it doesn't sink.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a walkthru on adjusting the preload?

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi esa, it’s covered in the Riders manual. Small side panel to take off, then use C spanner with extension handle to wind the spring. All necessary tools are in the supplied tool kit. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Regarding safety of `prop`stand looking at fixing point under the bike seems a bit complex fabrication and a few weld `tacks`rather than full welds, while on rear paddock stand and operating the stand by hand there is play up and down were it rotates maybe this is normal ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi esa, it’s covered in the Riders manual. Small side panel to take off, then use C spanner with extension handle to wind the spring. All necessary tools are in the supplied tool kit. Pretty straight forward.
I didn't need to take any panels off to adjust mine... I did it from the kickstand side, I just slide the tool in vertically and then rotated it 90 degrees towards the front of the bike, the handle starts almost touching the vertical bracing bar on the frame.

The guide is on page 44 of my manual.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Regarding safety of `prop`stand looking at fixing point under the bike seems a bit complex fabrication and a few weld `tacks`rather than full welds, while on rear paddock stand and operating the stand by hand there is play up and down were it rotates maybe this is normal ?
Are you hoarding punctuation marks, angiedave? I had to reread your post three times to figure out what it was you were trying to say. Still not sure. :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts