BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW NA has put a 2-to-6 week hold on the delivery of new models of the 310GS because of an issue with the side stand.

A friend who has owned a 310GS for some time thinks it could be that riders are mounting their bikes by standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and then swinging over the saddle. The side stand is not made for riders to do that. They should lift the side stand up and then mount the bike. Just his thought, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
123 Posts
from ADVRIDER.com:
BMW Motorrad have just announced a worldwide STOP on delivery of the G 310 R and G 310 GS.

Delivery Stop:
All vehicles that are marked with this special defect code are subject to a delivery stop. It is not allowed to put them into circulation or deliver them to customers. Vehicles that are already put in circulation or delivered to customers are not subject of this delivery stop. The customer who have taken delivery can still continue to ride these motorcycles.

Fact:
On G310-models the side stand connection might bend or, in extreme case, brake.

Effect:
It is not possible to completely rule out an insecure standing position of the vehicle if this fault occurs.

Measure:
On affected vehicles the side stand connection will be checked for prior damage and an additional bearing block for reinforcement will be installed.

Procedure / Reimbursement:
The SI (00 00 46 33 00) with all further details is expected in CW25/2018.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that. I would like to see most people mount an Adventure bike with top boxes, Panniers and other compartments mount it any other way. I have never heard of a side stand breaking under that type of load on any other adventure motorcycle. To say the current side stand is not designed for that kind of load is quite obvious at this point but the typical side stand is engineered with 2 to 5 times the actual load requirements for safety, and thus will support mounting the motorcycle by standing on the foot peg.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On the G310R, the bike does lean over too far when on the side stand and it actually takes a bit of an effort to right it when you get on it. It seems that more weight is then transferred to the side stand bracket when using it. One solution that may be helpful is a slightly longer side stand. I have been trying out a mini ice hockey puck on the foot of the side stand and it is better but I still haven't perfected the design yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that. I would like to see most people mount an Adventure bike with top boxes, Panniers and other compartments mount it any other way. I have never heard of a side stand breaking under that type of load on any other adventure motorcycle. To say the current side stand is not designed for that kind of load is quite obvious at this point but the typical side stand is engineered with 2 to 5 times the actual load requirements for safety, and thus will support mounting the motorcycle by standing on the foot peg.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one that needs to step on the foot peg to mount the bike!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jeff ... first off mounting an Adventure bike is typically done just like that. Standing on the left foot peg with the side stand down and lifting your leg over the bike and then sitting down and raising the side stand. Every Adventure rider I know mounts and dismounts just like that.
I’ve owned 3 GSs now, have traveled (fully loaded) all over the US, Canada, and Mexico on them, and have never mounted them by standing on the pegs. So it’s certainly not typical. And the fact that BMW specifically tells us in their user’s guides not to do that should be a clue that they don’t design their side stands with that in mind.

But clearly they need to rethink that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’ve owned 3 GSs now, have traveled (fully loaded) all over the US, Canada, and Mexico on them, and have never mounted them by standing on the pegs.
You, Sir, obviously have more leg than the average bear. I'm wearing a 28" inseam and the only way I can get on the bike is to stand on the peg.

95K miles on an '03 VStrom, a similar amount on a '93 GSX1100G, 36K (so far) on a '13 Tiger Explorer and 30K on assorted rental 1150 & 1200 GSes with no issues. Why would I expect this to be an issue? Especially from a major marque.

I take that back - I can slide a leg over the seat with one foot on the ground, but that results in a prolonged session with my weight cantilevered even further out than just standing on the peg keeping my weight centered. And, as I approach 73 years all too rapidly, I'm losing what little flexibility I had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Directly from the owners manual (if anyone is interested):

Chapter 6, pg 53, 54
Parking your Motorcycle
Side stand
Switch off the engine.
On a gradient, the motorcycle
should always face uphill; se-
lect 1st gear.
ATTENTION
Poor ground underneath the stand
Risk of damage to parts if vehicle topples
Always check that the ground under the stand is level and firm.
Extend the side stand and prop the motorcycle on the stand.
ATTENTION
Additional weight placing strain on the side stand
Risk of damage to parts if vehicle topples
Do not sit or lean on the vehicle while it is propped on the side stand.
If the camber of the roadway permits, turn the handlebars all the way to the left.

I admit I always used the peg to mount. NEVER happened on any other bike I’ve owned. Might be rethinking this going forward...

·
Registered
254 Posts
You, Sir, obviously have more leg than the average bear. I'm wearing a 28" inseam and the only way I can get on the bike is to stand on the peg.
Dunno how I fit into the leg length demographic. But my inseam is 32 inches.
And, as I approach 73 years all too rapidly, I'm losing what little flexibility I had.
At 62, I'm rapidly catching up to you, Michael. As long as my leg kick is still there, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I take that back - I can slide a leg over the seat with one foot on the ground, but that results in a prolonged session with my weight cantilevered even further out than just standing on the peg keeping my weight centered. And, as I approach 73 years all too rapidly, I'm losing what little flexibility I had.
I am about the same age (70) and the same inseam. I echo every thing you said. Trying to slide my leg over the seat requires a couple of hops on my left foot to slide into position and that causes a lot of load on the side stand. Probably more that my preferred method of using the foot peg to mount the bike.

I did just order a new SW Motec center stand today. They only had 8 left in stock, now 7. I was surprised that they had any in stock in light of the RECALL!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got a call from the local dealer today asking me to bring the bike in next week for the side-stand recall. Not sure what mod they will be doing to it. ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Always use Kickstand

After I dropped my new KTM RC390, which is shorter than my 310GS, I ALWAYS have the kick stand down when getting ON and OFF the bike for stability.

I dropped the bike because my foot was too close to the bike when I was getting off and the bike leaned over and I could not recover. I am shorter at 5'6" with about 28" inseam which also makes it hard as heck to find motorcycle pants also. If you don't have the kick stand down all it takes is a slight slip or shift of weight for the bike to start falling.

If they don't want you to use the kick stand then they should have kept the Center stand which used to be standard, then you could mount the bike with the center down and rock off it once you were mounted.

Not everyone is 6' tall or super flexible. I have not been able to flat foot a bike comfortably since my 300 Ninja even the **** KTM is taller.>:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am shorter at 5'6" with about 28" inseam which also makes it hard as heck to find motorcycle pants also.
Check out Aerostich Darien pants:

Darien Pants :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Alterations are available - they'll shorten the leg up to a total of 3" (about 2/3 of the way down the page)

Available Alterations & Services :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Not cheap - but very high quality. Mine have been back to the factory for repairs once and I've been wearing them for about 14 years and over 100K miles (so far).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Happened to be at my dealer's today and the service manager said that they just got in the alignment/installation jig for the side stand fix. No parts, but they have the tool. It's progress of a sort.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A dealer in Germany told me two days ago that they didn't got enough parts for repair all sold and in stock GS/R. For my GS the earlyest date for check the issue is Sept 17, 2018

·
Registered
324 Posts
A dealer in Germany told me two days ago that they didn't got enough parts for repair all sold and in stock GS/R. For my GS the earlyest date for check the issue is Sept 17, 2018
That sucks. I'm #1 on the list to get the repair. It's helpful to be a repeat customer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My G310GS went in for its 600 mile service and I had also noticed it had been leaning over more on side stand, yep you guessed it new frame required (Start of side stand problem) expecting call from BMW dealer Tuesday in respect of timescales involved. To all owners keep an eye on angle of side stand and also if side peg not able to fold, sure sign its on its way to a problem. I have been told to be careful when parked up and I have put a chock of wood under stand foot at home in garage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So your bike appears to be almost new. Only 600 miles. Can you help us understand what caused it to fail so soon. Were the neighbors sitting on it while it was on the side stand?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts