BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The side stand on my 2018 G310GS is to tall and the bike is way to upright when on the side stand in most situations. Its just a matter of time before it topples over and I've decided to shorten it a little. Before I start I must say my bike had the side stand recall done by the dealer from new. And that the fact the bike sits so upright may help to reduce the strain on the mounting bracket. Also modifying the stand may also invalidate the warranty should the bracket fail in the future. However, the modification done by BMW looks more than strong enough to take a little extra lean angle and I'm prepared to take the risk.
Here is a picture of the thick metal plate BMW added to strengthen the stand mounting bracket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the side stand switch connector. Then remove the Circlip and the nut that holds on the cover. Gently wiggle and pull the cover off.
Remove the hex bolt that hold the side switch in position. NOTE. The switch has a little metal tab on the inside which locates in a small hole in the switch mounting plate so make sure the tab goes back in that hole when re-fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next you need to get the double spring off the post. Use a spring puller for this. The fat spring is easy but the thin one is tough. I found it easier to lift the stand right up and pull back rather than down.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then you need a 10mm hex drive to remove the main pivot bolt. It's held it with lots of thread lock so needs a good bit of force to move it. The stand will then slide out. NOTE the position of the large washer when re-fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
i would not cut a perfectly good side stand. Welding will on some level compromise its strength. one just needs park the bike on the right angle. Each bike is unique in this respect. And as WoondWorks correctly pointed out, increasing the rear spring preload elevates the bike's hight. Considering that OEM suspension is already too soft, it is a good idea anyway. I my GS I did not notice any issues with the side stand; and I have side stand stand foot enlarger, which makes it even a bit longer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think I would mod the stand but I definitely agree that the bike sits too upright. Adjusting the shocks does help a little but doesn't solve completely.

As a matter of fact I dropped the bike once because of that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. I did indeed increase the pre load to Max and it does help a little. But the bike still felt to upright for me to be confident it wouldn't tip over in a strong wind.
I cut out a piece of the stand and welded the foot back on. The stand is now 10mm shorter. I also added a little wire loop to help when kicking the stand up. Blasted and re-coated the stand and it looks as good as new. Next I will refit the stand and see how much more the bike leans over.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
you did a great job, but I see nothing wrong with the angle of the side stand. the company designed it for a purpose. i never experienced any issues with parking my bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Could the R leg be swapped into GS mounting for people who are so worried about this? R stand is shorter than GS.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Could the R leg be swapped into GS mounting for people who are so worried about this? R stand is shorter than GS.
i am getting confused now. there is nothing wrong with gs side stand angle, unless one is very anal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i am getting confused now. there is nothing wrong with gs side stand angle, unless one is very anal.
I am happy with the way factory leg works. I was just saying it for others who might be uncomfortable with factory incline.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts