BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the Side Stand Recall for the G310R.
Is it really a defective and weak part? Or is this a recall because people are putting their left leg and full weight on the peg
when mounting the bike and with the Side Stand down, compromising it and breaking it?
I'm not sure if I'm going to take advantage of this recall, Since, Without the cases on, I swing my right leg over.

Or with the cases on, do a little hop with my left leg and put my right directly over the seat, then use my lower body to pull the
bike upright, before raising the Side Stand. I only intend to keep the bike for the full 36 months of the warranty anyhow.
Moving onto a Touring model.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
I emailed my dealer today concerning this recall since I own both the G310R and G310GS. I received the following answer from my dealer. I hope this clears up some of the concerns we all have as owners of the 310 models.

"At this time the recall has been issued on all 310 models produced before April, so both of your bikes will be included in the recall. They do not yet have a remedy for the issue, but the last I heard they were hoping to have a fix by mid to late July. The recall is being listed as a "stop-sale" rather than a "stop-ride", which means that BMW does not view it as a reason to not be riding your bikes.You will be receiving letters addressing the issue for both bikes, and as soon as the solution is available and sent out to dealerships".

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a question regarding the Side Stand Recall for the G310R.
Is it really a defective and weak part? Or is this a recall because people are putting their left leg and full weight on the peg
when mounting the bike and with the Side Stand down, compromising it and breaking it?
I'm not sure if I'm going to take advantage of this recall, Since, Without the cases on, I swing my right leg over.

Or with the cases on, do a little hop with my left leg and put my right directly over the seat, then use my lower body to pull the
bike upright, before raising the Side Stand. I only intend to keep the bike for the full 36 months of the warranty anyhow.
Moving onto a Touring model.

Mark
It's not just because of folks putting extra weight/strain on it. The bikes weight/defect alone is apparently causing the issues. And the danger is not just of your bike toppling over while parked but coming apart while you are riding too. So if your bike is part of the recall, i would definitely take it in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I emailed my dealer today concerning this recall since I own both the G310R and G310GS. I received the following answer from my dealer. I hope this clears up some of the concerns we all have as owners of the 310 models.

"At this time the recall has been issued on all 310 models produced before April, so both of your bikes will be included in the recall. They do not yet have a remedy for the issue, but the last I heard they were hoping to have a fix by mid to late July. The recall is being listed as a "stop-sale" rather than a "stop-ride", which means that BMW does not view it as a reason to not be riding your bikes.You will be receiving letters addressing the issue for both bikes, and as soon as the solution is available and sent out to dealerships".
there is a fix in Canada where they have issued a official recall. on bikes that do not currently show any cracking or damage a plate is affixed to the frame and a new stand is installed, on bikes that have already broken or have a crack they replace the whole frame with a new one already reinforced and the new stand.

I am curious how they plan on doing the paper work as VIN numbers in America are assigned to the frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just spoke with our dealership parts guy and he told me thatall G310's, that is R and GS will be recalled in Canada. He processed an order for a center stand for my GS three weeks ago with Twisted Throttle and as of this morning the order still shows outstanding.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just spoke with our dealership parts guy and he told me thatall G310's, that is R and GS will be recalled in Canada. He processed an order for a center stand for my GS three weeks ago with Twisted Throttle and as of this morning the order still shows outstanding.
Speaking of Twisted Throttle, June 01st I ordered a SW Motech bash plate, knowing it was out of stock.
A week later I called and they said it would be a couple of more weeks.
A few days ago I called again and was told 6-8 more weeks before they receive them.
I cancelled out of frustration, and hope to find more choices elsewhere.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In all the cases I've seen posted where the poster's stand broke, the poster was either standing on the pegs with the bike on the stand or mounted the bike by standing on the pegs while on the stand. I would certainly have the recall done just to insure it did not happen to my bike. If you do not have the recall done you will be hounded by numerous notices and even phone calls. I still get calls about the air bag recall on my truck.

There are numerous posts about somebody else's stand breaking without full details. If the stand breaks it compromises the frame from what I have read.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I never stand on the peg or sit on the bike while it's resting on the side stand. I checked the condition of the plate etc today and it looks pretty good and all quite sturdy down there. Anyways will await the recall. Replacing the whole frame sounds like a very major job!

Reactions: angiedave

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are numerous posts about somebody else's stand breaking without full details. If the stand breaks it compromises the frame from what I have read.
I am one of the “posters” on this topic. Pix in another thread. The frame is no issue in my humble opinion. That half circle of metal under the side stand mounting point is the flaw, combined with a frail, brittle metalurgy...

If it is not broken yet, a reinforcing plate would help, and may be all it needs. If it is already broken (mine), I don’t see a good quick or inexpensive fix here. Still waiting though for “official” word on the remedy...

All this is for the benefit of the forum - no challenges here...

·
Registered
163 Posts
BillCT,

were you footpeg mounting the bike or sitting on the side stand, or did it just break out of the blue ?

Trying to determine failure mode and panic intensity toward the recall.

At this moment, I'm taking all this calmly because I never put weight on the side stand other than the bike itself. If you tell me it broke out of the blue, i'll start taking measure to prevent havoc in my garage....such as placing it on the pit stand at all times in the garage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No to sitting on the bike while on the side stand.
Yes to using the foot peg to mount and dismount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sad to say it's what I hoped for.

How the engineers managed to 'forget' this very normal mode of operation is baffling, but there you are.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It would be nice if someone that already had this donde by BMW to post a picture so we can see their "solution", this metal plate added cause I would like to do it myself and on my friends bike (he has a GS and I see the fragility on the welded portion of the side stand! also I would like to know if anyone suffered this break while the bike was all alone?.

XD

Reactions: Glencoeman

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sad to say it's what I hoped for.

How the engineers managed to 'forget' this very normal mode of operation is baffling, but there you are.
I not sure it was a engineering mistake, seems more like a production error, with crappy welds.

Reactions: angiedave

·
Registered
255 Posts
I not sure it was a engineering mistake, seems more like a production error, with crappy welds.
I bet you’re right. But I also bet right now there are a few BMW designers who wish they had engineered their way out this level of “crappy welds.”

·
Registered
197 Posts
Especially when knowing production line skill level would be lower than in Germany.

That was my thought.
Doesn't matter where it was built - BMW are still responsible. They should have supervised their quality controls better.
I am booked in at the dealer for a water pump seal next week so will enquire about the side stand recall in the UK as I have not heard or seen anything about it in the UK yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Doesn't matter where it was built - BMW are still responsible. They should have supervised their quality controls better.
I am booked in at the dealer for a water pump seal next week so will enquire about the side stand recall in the UK as I have not heard or seen anything about it in the UK yet.
I agree, but they probably can't babysit every weld and build.
To err is human, to forgive is what warranty is for.:grin2:

Reactions: SCG310R

·
Registered
308 Posts
Glencoeman, bad news, thought maybe I got away with recall, Rainbow, Rotherham just phoned, 30/08/, want my R in on Tuesday for repair on prop stand, I asked if I could see the problem out of interest he said ok, if a faulty weld cant see, without reweld, how they fix it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts