BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
In what way do you need an adjustable side stand?

"In what way...?" In length.

Most of us may be happy but on the one hand some riders find that the bike stands too upright and on the other hand some riders think it is too leaned over when parked on the side stand. Changes to the suspension or tyres can exacerbate the angle.

Side stand arms that are adjustable for length may be installed to overcome either situation.

Having said that I don't know of an adjustable stand that is available for purchase off the shelf.....:frown2:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Using side stand plates could help to raise the stand a bit, and easily reversible.
https://www.google.com/search?q=side+stand+plate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM8tW6hpbgAhUlo1kKHeGXBc8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=723
To make it shorter, I really doubt you’ll find something off the shelf. Find someone with welding skills and it should’nt take him long.
Most common procedure is to cut the near the foot/base, cut again 2cm or whatever length you need to remove & re-weld the foot. Permanent change in that case of course...
Had to do this on a on a previous bike that I switched from 21”/18” wheels to 17” supermoto wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a mate with a Kawasaki Versys 650.

He lowered the bike and then had to lower the stand. He did that by cutting out a section but from the middle instead. He then fitted each cut end into a sleeve and used grub screws of some sort. It was strong enough that when he took the bike back up to full height again he could just loosen the grub screws and extend the stand in about 2 minutes.

Plus he could climb on and off with the bike on the side stand. Show-off........

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok.... I’ve just had my very first ride on my GS. I find the side stand VERY long. When I’m sitting on the bike with the suspension compressed due to my (86kg) weight, it’s almost as if I need to lean the bike to the right to drop the stand all the way down. Once I’m (carefully) off the bike and the suspension eases back to its normal state, the bike is only JUST leaning, and it feels like the slightest touch will unstable it.
Does anyone else have the same observation??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok.... I’ve just had my very first ride on my GS. I find the side stand VERY long. When I’m sitting on the bike with the suspension compressed due to my (86kg) weight, it’s almost as if I need to lean the bike to the right to drop the stand all the way down. Once I’m (carefully) off the bike and the suspension eases back to its normal state, the bike is only JUST leaning, and it feels like the slightest touch will unstable it.
Does anyone else have the same observation??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find the exact same problem, the stand just seems too long.
I also have to lean the bike over to kick the stand up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've had exactly the same thought for several years now . not just the 310.
What's needed is a short side stand with an inner (or outer) sleeve on a ratchet.
When you stop you flick the (short ) side stand down and the click the telescopic/ratchet sleeve to the required length.
On leaving the side stand flicks up and the ratchet is released to is retracted length.
This means that whatever the uneven ground is at you have the ideal length
Do I feel a patent coming on .?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I find the exact same problem, the stand just seems too long.
I also have to lean the bike over to kick the stand up.
.....yeh but it's really horrible when you come to a stop and you have to get off, like for example when refuelling. Leaning the bike to the right to get the stand all the way down and even then having to hold the bike away from you while you dismount on the left is really weird! You feel like the bike's going to fall over.
I don't like it! I'm going to ask my friend to cut 1cm off the length just above the foot and re-weld it.

I've actually bought a foot enlarger, but even though it's only about 2mm thick I'm frightened to put it on the standard length sidestand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
.....yeh but it's really horrible when you come to a stop and you have to get off, like for example when refuelling. Leaning the bike to the right to get the stand all the way down and even then having to hold the bike away from you while you dismount on the left is really weird! You feel like the bike's going to fall over.
I don't like it! I'm going to ask my friend to cut 1cm off the length just above the foot and re-weld it.

I've actually bought a foot enlarger, but even though it's only about 2mm thick I'm frightened to put it on the standard length sidestand.

Let us know how that goes. I'd like to cut it by about 150mm so I could get my leg across the rear seat with my tent on it:grin2:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Same here, the only reason I am not fitting a plate to the stand is I am sure it will fall over

·
Registered
136 Posts
150mm????..... 6"???? Do you really mean 15mm (1.5cm) ??

No, but did you miss the smiley? There's really no easy way of getting on or off with luggage on the seat (can't fit it all on the rack if camping). I'm not one for straining the propstand by using the "cowboy method", at all, but especially on a GS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the contrary I feel that the side stand on my G310R is quite small and I am afraid that when it would be parked on loose sand it would lean even more and increase the chances of a fall.
Has any one done anything to make it taller? Would a side stand shoe make it taller?

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
On the contrary I feel that the side stand on my G310R is quite small and I am afraid that when it would be parked on loose sand it would lean even more and increase the chances of a fall.
Has any one done anything to make it taller? Would a side stand shoe make it taller?
You can get side stand enlargers, I put one on my R, I did need to drill out a bit of the enlarger so that it would fit, only makes it about 3-5mm taller so no problem on the R.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get side stand enlargers, I put one on my R, I did need to drill out a bit of the enlarger so that it would fit, only makes it about 3-5mm taller so no problem on the R.
Can you please share the link of the product? I will accordingly look at the options I have in India or elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Can you please share the link of the product? I will accordingly look at the options I have in India or elsewhere.
I got one similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Kickstand-Side-Stand-Enlarge-Plate-Pad-For-BMW-G310R-16-18-SL-T5/184187445548?hash=item2ae26d612c:g:DjYAAOSw0VBcjzwb

I had to router it a little bit larger to accomodate the shape of the sidestand, but it was worth it. It makes a huge difference on sandy and soggy ground, more than doubles the surface area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got one similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Kickstand-Side-Stand-Enlarge-Plate-Pad-For-BMW-G310R-16-18-SL-T5/184187445548?hash=item2ae26d612c:g[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]jYAAOSw0VBcjzwb

I had to router it a little bit larger to accomodate the shape of the sidestand, but it was worth it. It makes a huge difference on sandy and soggy ground, more than doubles the surface area.
You think this would be a direct fix?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263964263281

1 - 20 of 20 Posts