BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m about to do a couple of 3-4 days trips by the end of the year. Most of my rides are 80% off road and 20% road so I’m after some soft luggage side pannier as it will less likely get damaged from a fall, branches, rocks…
I looked everywhere online but it seems like no brand want to certify that there won’t be a risk of getting the luggage burnt from the exhaust (I still have the OEM exhaust).
Someone in this forum has installed a really cool set of the GIVI rack PL5126 with the Kriega OS bags. He had an aftermarket exhaust that he modified to keep it away from the pannier rack.
Is there anyone who managed to install some without having an issue with the exhaust?

Thanks

PS: I’m on a 2021 G310GS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Cloud

Have you considered the Enduristan Blizzard bags along with their exhaust heat shield? I’ve been running that setup for almost four years now, with no problems with heat from the exhaust. They’re 100% waterproof (I live and ride in Oregon, so I know what rain is), and with a waterproof duffel bag slung over the seat they hold enough for a fairly limitless ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered this one: http://21brothers.eu/produkt/rogal-xl/ and running the stock pipe.
It's a punt I'm willing to take. Will let you know towards the end of the month whether it has an clearance issues.

More info from a quick online search:
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, both your set up looks great!
I ended up going with the Mosko moto 40L. Fits very well the bike and didn’t even need to put install the heat shield supplied in the kit. Only took a week to arrive from Europe to Tasmania in Australia which is pretty amazing considering the huge delays with postage lately.
Quality looks very robust and love the look of it. Testing it out on the weekend on a 4wd track.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
247 Posts
OHHH DEAR..I am almost too embarrased to post how I got around the exhaust heat problem...sooooo janky. I can post photo, if anyone wants.

I am using Thule side bags...THAT ARE CHEAP and PERFECT..for me....

·
Registered
4 Posts
OHHH DEAR..I am almost too embarrased to post how I got around the exhaust heat problem...sooooo janky. I can post photo, if anyone wants.

I am using Thule side bags...THAT ARE CHEAP and PERFECT..for me....
Yes show me a photo please.
I ended up going with the Mosko moto 40L. Fits very well the bike and didn’t even need to put install the heat shield supplied in the kit. Only took a week to arrive from Europe to Tasmania in Australia which is pretty amazing considering the huge delays with postage lately.
Hi John, I'm also in Tassie and took advantage of the MoskoMoto sale. PM me if you're interested in selling the heat shield!

Cloud Tire Sky Water Wheel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks guys, both your set up looks great!
Quality looks very robust and love the look of it. Testing it out on the weekend on a 4wd track
Looks like you don’t need racks to fasten these? On what do you fasten them? I like the idea of the bags not so wide. Unfortunately not anything like this here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I ended up going with the Mosko moto 40L. Fits very well the bike and didn’t even need to put install the heat shield supplied in the kit. Quality looks very robust and love the look of it.
I considered the 40L Mosko Moto Reckless (as in rackless), but went with the Mosko Moto Reckless 80L because I do very long trips. One reason I went rackless was that this system ways just 15.7 pounds (7.1 kg). Jon Der's 40L system weighs just 10.5 pounds (4.8 kg). This last June, I did over 7,000 miles (11,265 km) covering the eastern half of the North American continent from Hendersonville, North Carolina, to Springfield, Missouri, to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and back to Hendersonville. This included the Northeast Backroads Discovery Route (NEBDR) and other opportunistic off-road segments. I crashed off-road a half a dozen times or so and the bags still looked new when I got them home and power washed the dirt off.

Jon Der: Given your location, this may not be an issue, but Mosko Moto's Lifetime Free Repair does not apply to exhaust damage if you don't use their exhaust shield. On a related note since I can't tell without a right-side picture, you may have an issue when you crash on the right side: Your bag may be pushed downward to the point that it touches the hot exhaust. P.S. I'm surprised you ordered it from Europe; Mosko Moto is located in Washington State, USA. If your bags went eastward from Europe, that means they almost did an entire "Round The World (RTW)" before you got them. :eek:

Helenus: There is a harness underneath both 40L and 80L systems. In the back, the harness has two (40L system) or three (80L system) straps that secure it to the rear of the tail rack; in the front, there are two straps, one on each side securing the legs of the harness to each loop on the inside of each passenger foot peg. Each side bag slides into the leg holster on each side and the tail bag is double secured under two flaps, one that opens backward and one that opens forward; both flaps have storage pockets sewn on the inside for documents, et al. Mosko Moto has excellent videos on YouTube showing how to install and use the system.

US folks: Note how close the nearly 7" long US spec turn signals are to the underside of the harness in my second picture. I broke my right rear turn signal during a minor right-side off-road drop when the right bag/harness was pushed against it. Unrelated to the bags, I also broke the right front turn signal because it stuck out beyond my tank guard bar. To avoid this in the future, I replaced all four turn signals with the shorter European spec versions as shown in the Jon Der's pictures.

Picture 1: On the Delaware River near Downsville, New York, between segments along the NEBDR. In this pic, I'm carrying everything I brought with me, but the bags are only about 75% full because I'm hoteling rather than camping.
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Picture 2: Halls Harbor, Nova Scotia, on the Bay of Fundy at low tide: This was a side trip starting from and returning back to my hotel, so the side bag holsters are empty and the top bag is only ~50% full with my Everyday Carry Kit. Mosko Moto's system is very flexible because their straps will very securely cinch down whatever volume you are carrying. I'm also carrying two liters of water and two liters of fuel in the Mosko Moto's Aux Pox pouches; you can see the left pouch in the picture below. If I had been camping, I would have switched from the 22L tail bag that comes with their 80L system to their separately available 30L tail bag; both my side bags would also have been full or almost full. All three tail bags (8L, 22L, & 30L) have shoulder straps for use as backpacks if necessary.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Cloud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts