BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Wondering form the guys who did the swap with the VMX 2.5*19"/4.25*17" Cush Drive Tubeless For BMW How are these wheels holding up?

Also, I suppose they will fit on a 2018?

The description says 2019 to 2022 models only.

Cheers!
hey, the bike i have is 2018 uk model, the vmx wheels are holding up well, but like any other cross spoked wheel, the rims are slightly extruding and if you ride on loose rocky road a lot, inevitably at some point the rock will hit the rim and chip the metal off.
I got those kind of damage both on my r1200gs and g310gs (vmx wheels).

below is the damage on my r1200gs, on g310gs i've got the same on front wheel.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get that, but It really does boil down to your saying "you need to love you (sic) bike". In college, I bought my first bike, a Honda CB750 and kept it until I bought a Honda GL500 Silver Wing as a graduation present for myself. I added a 250 for off-road (TS, then a YT) while I was in Hawaii on Oahu; riding the sugar cane and pineapple fields was a blast. Before I returned to the continental US, I traded my way from the GL500 to my first BMW, an R100/7. When I returned to the states, I brought the R100/7 and the YT250 with me, but my first experience off-road was dirt roads that had been deliberately strewn with roofing nails. That took the air out of my tires and the wind out of my off-road ambitions. From then until just six weeks ago, almost 40 years, I owned and rode only street bikes and, thanks to the quality I experienced with the R100/7, they were all BMWs. Yes, thanks to modern production methods, I know most modern bikes have comparable quality now, but that wasn't the case during the 80s and that left it's mark on me.

At this point, I have logged some 500,000 miles across 49 states in the US (Alaska is in my plans). When I retired, I knew I wanted three bikes, a sport-touring bike, a sport bike, and an adventure bike. After the R100/7, all my bikes have been inline 3 or 4 cylinders and I've gotten addicted to their smoothness. So, I ended up with an S1000XR for sport-touring (165 HP, 498 lbs), an S1000RR for sport (199 HP, 459 lbs), and an empty spot in the garage for the adventure bike. To me, an adventure bike should be light enough to be OK off-road and comfortable enough to OK on-road for at least moderate distance days, say 300-500 mile days. All of BMW's serious adventure bikes were 500-600 pound behemoths that I had no desire to load up and try taking off-road and their only sub-400 pound adventure bike was really a misnamed street bike whose wheels and suspension where designed for rough roads, not off-road. For the first time in almost 40 years, I started looking outside BMW; I came close to buying a Husqvarna 701 and very close to buying a Honda CRF300 Rally. A friend who had the 701 convinced me against going that direction. Most of the reviews on the CRF300 said it was a dirt bike that was OK on the road, but not so much for the distances I was envisioning. On the other hand, most of the reviews of the G310GS said it was a street bike that was meh off-road, but those reviews came with an interesting caveat, the G310GS could be upgraded to be a real sub-400 lbs GS.

So, that's what I've done, I've created a very comfortable, light, nimble GS that, a couple weeks ago, the lead instructor at the BMW Rider Academy said was "killing it" during their Two-Day Adventure Course. Yes, the R1250GSs and GSAs where doing the same drills, but my G310GS did them with an ease that only comes with being 150-200 pounds lighter than the 1250s, especially for someone who is 62 and planning to ride until I'm 84. As far as I'm concerned, this is what BMW should have produced when they built the G310GS, but didn't because it would eat into sales of their more profitable behemoth GSs. So, that's my answer to your "Why?" But, I'm only six weeks into this adventure and if it works, great; if it doesn't, I'll sell it and try something else while filing away the new memories it's given me.

Sorry if I've bored anyone, but you did ask. Smile side up, everyone! 😃
Fantastic..... love this....as I'm about to buy my first bmw and yes it will obviously be the GS310, And I'm riding it and shipping it to tour all of Australia first, then Will continue all RTW...im leaving my 1200 Custom HD at home, and I lost my Kawasaki 350? I think it was in a wildfire...I only owned it a week... so there's that, and you bet I'm gonna do her up right for those trips...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update: I'm very happy with my VMX wheels. I currently have about 5,000 miles on them and I'm in the Nova Scotia part of a trip from North Carolina to Missouri to Nova Scotia and back to North Carolina. The trip included about 60% of the North East Backroads Discovery Route, including some seriously gnarly parts, and I'm currently running around Nova Scotia's abusive frost heaved roads and some of their even more abusive off-road offerings. The rims are absorbing all this and asking for more. (P.S. Before I wrote this, I went out and inspected both rims and they look perfect other than some mud and dirt from the last two days of riding.)

61 - 66 of 66 Posts