BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I just got my G310R delivered today, first bike. I took it out for half an hour but I keep stalling from stop pretty often. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like you are probably letting the clutch out too quick with not enough revs - its a progressive thing. From idling, when you take off, begin to open the throttle gently as you release the clutch lever gently and smoothly while the revs increase. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As a first time rider also, one thing that helped tremendously was the advice "don't increase throttle, just have it steady and learn to release the clutch". Not sure if I heard it from the forums or from a friend, but it helped me not stall until I got the hang of it.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Yep, stalled a couple of times early on, as mentioned above you'll just have to practice, and give it a bit of throttle (not too much, not to little).

·
Registered
46 Posts
To simplify the process, truth be told you don't need throttle for the bike to move. If you're just learning, try JUST learning where the friction zone is on the bike. Let the clutch out until the bike starts to move. Immediately pull the clutch back in. Brake. Repeat...Repeat...Repeat...Repeat.

Once you get that down, then you can begin to add throttle. Keep in mind, throttle means nothing to you if you can't get the clutch action down confidently.

Be patient, be nervous, be embarrassed, and enjoy every minute of it. You're practicing a skill that you'll have for the rest of your life. It's awesome!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m finding the 310 does stall, very easily...and is then sometimes hesitant to start first time. As many say, overtime with practice, you’ll find that biting point with just the right amount of revs to pull away. A mate whose been riding motorbikes all his life, kept slagging me off for stalling...until, he had a shot of the bike, and he stalled everytime too! So, it’s definitely something you need to get use to

·
Registered
308 Posts
nice pics, I'm trying to put pics on forum but not so good on making a file of pics offered my granddaughter money for lessons !!!!!! I can stall the bike if I'm not concentrating at the lights for the clutch `bite`

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Yes, this is a difficult bike to move off smoothly. Probably worse than any of the other 16 bikes I've had. When new, the on/off clutch only operated at the tip of the non adjustable lever - just as it was about to slip out of my fingers. Have adjusted the cable to get the action closer to the bars while making sure the clutch frees OK. Still requires care and throttle is sensitive. Change to second required almost immediately. Changing up without using clutch works fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, this is a difficult bike to move off smoothly.
Not my experience at all - on mine the clutch action is a dream, smooth and take offs are easy as anything. It was one of the major plus points I was looking for - the test bike I rode was just the same, sweet as...

Reactions: Igduff

·
Registered
64 Posts
Change to second required almost immediately.
I did note this on a test ride.

Plus one on the open the throttle. I stalled the bike once on the test, but my instructors always told me revving "too high" was okay. Work on smooth clutch action, but don't be afraid to rev up to 2,500 and let it out slowly. It's better to be able to go if you need to than stall in some circumstances. Hopefully by now you're much better. It's all in the clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, this is a difficult bike to move off smoothly. Probably worse than any of the other 16 bikes I've had.
I found it tricky as well, particularly when it was brand spanking new. As it wears in a bit and you get more used to the engagement point it gets better, but I still find it requires a lot of finesse. Creeping up an incline at a green light waiting for a break to turn left across traffic is not one of my favorite things to do on the 310!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been riding for about 30 years now and have never had a clutch (even on a new bike) that felt like this one... It won't engage or take up until the last 1-2mm of releasing the lever and I stall or over-rev. Break-in first service next weekend so I will let everyone know how things feel afterwards.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have been riding for about 30 years now and have never had a clutch (even on a new bike) that felt like this one... It won't engage or take up until the last 1-2mm of releasing the lever and I stall or over-rev. Break-in first service next weekend so I will let everyone know how things feel afterwards.
Definitely a common issue, I thought I was a rookie again, stalling out, but it gets better and ensure the clutch
free play is setup correctly.
Gets a bit unnerving when crossing uncontrolled intersections or making a left from standstill.

Reactions: martinjr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same issue for about 200 miles, I got used to it never stalled out again unless my kick stand was down lol. Anyway I ordered a adjustable lever might help out a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only times I've stalled this bike is when I've taken off in 2nd instead of 3rd, give it approximately 3000 revs and feed the clutch out and it takes off every time. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts