BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my standard G310GS exhaust have a dB killer pre-installed and is it removable?
Severe local regulations make it IMPOSSIBLE for me to change my exhaust for a better system, and I absolutely HATE the sound of the standard system. So o thought removing the dB killer (if possible) would be a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no removable baffle.
Best plan in your "local case" [ no exhaust change] is to drill out the last metal plate inside the system.
It looks like you could carefully drill out a 20 or 22mm hole, in the back of the 'box.
If not drill then file / grind your way through.
That may give the required sound ... If not, take out the next plate.and so on.
I have seen some very crude methods of smashing a metal spike through the baffles, but that seems a bit primative..!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m assuming you mean to remove the bright stainless steel end cap from the silencer!muffler and drill holes on the plate at the end.
Has anybody else tried this?

·
Registered
281 Posts
well I was thinking more of removing the perforated baffle that is welded in to exit of the exhaust.
The trouble is this is a one way mod [no going back]
We need someone brave enough to pop out that rear plate/baffle.!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So drilling holes (or making current holes larger) in the pipe rather than the plate?

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
well I was thinking more of removing the perforated baffle that is welded in to exit of the exhaust.
The trouble is this is a one way mod [no going back]
We need someone brave enough to pop out that rear plate/baffle.!
Maybe somebody that already has an aftermarket exhaust can try it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you buy a Aftermarket pipe like a Akrapovic SS or CF (I have the carbon fiber) they come with a DB killer on them so as long as you have it in, you should be OK. It sounds good with the DB in or out. I would think if they are that strict, hey would notice the mod to the stock pipe. I will take a look at my stock pipe to see if you can drill out.

The Akrapovic is a Full exhaust, not a slip-on.

How is it in the Philippines, I have been trying to get there since March and it keeps getting locked down in Cebu. Stay safe.

Reactions: G0MYW and porth

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Video link.
Sadly I can't just change my system for an Akropovic or similar because that would be a blatant violation of local laws, hence why I was looking for a 'subtle' way of getting a deeper and slightly louder sound without it looking so obvious.
If, for example, I was stopped after removing the baffle, I could argue that it is a standard BMW exhaust and to the untrained eye nobody (certainly NOT a local police officer here) would know any different.
With regard to the Philippines.....parts of the mainland (Manila and Cebu) are still under quite strict lockdown laws with mandatory quarantine. Here in Palawan these have been eased now and most places are open, albeit with social distancing and compulsory facemask regulations.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Damn CoronaVirus.... I have been trying to get to my girl in Cebu (lapu Lapu) since the end of March and can't get in.

If you install the DB Killer that comes with the Akrapovic exhaust, you should be fine. Do the police carry decibel meters with them? If you know what the decibel limit is, you could check with Akrapovic and they could tell you what it is both with and without the DB killer in. Then if stopped, you can show them the paper.

If I find out, I will let you know. Palawan looks nice, I will have to visit there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just contacted Akrapovic. let's see what they say.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The local bye-laws set a maximum of 70db for any MODIFIED exhaust which is about the level of normal speech indoors.
Apparently the stock exhaust is around 86db and an Akrapovic around 93db .
To reiterate.......the factory fitted exhaust at 86db is LEGAL because that's how it comes from BMW. Similarly a Harley pushing out 100db is LEGAL.
So.....if for example I drill a few 10mm holes in the end of the muffler which are hidden by the decorative stainless end plate and it pushes the sound up to 90db, if I was stopped I could argue that it is a standard exhaust (because it would look identical to the factory issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK possibly a crazy question on a slightly different theme...
Has anybody (either themselves of knowing somebody who has) cut off their muffler and modified the exhaust to accept a slip-on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does my standard G310GS exhaust have a dB killer pre-installed and is it removable?
Severe local regulations make it IMPOSSIBLE for me to change my exhaust for a better system, and I absolutely HATE the sound of the standard system. So o thought removing the dB killer (if possible) would be a compromise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK possibly a crazy question on a slightly different theme...
Has anybody (either themselves of knowing somebody who has) cut off their muffler and modified the exhaust to accept a slip-on?
I did exactly that. It was a straight pipe, so I had to order a db killer from ebay or I would be deaf in 3 years🤣
20201112_065523.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did you attach the clips where the springs hook over from the slip-on muffler?
I used a large metal clip which you use on lanyard and hooked it onto the thread-clip behind the chrome heat shield. My springs aren't tight enough to be usefull, just for esthetics🙌🏼 Or any carabiner clip should also work perfectly, they are also another common household item. Hope I helped🙌🏼🔥

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used a large metal clip which you use on lanyard and hooked it onto the thread-clip behind the chrome heat shield. My springs aren't tight enough to be usefull, just for esthetics Or any carabiner clip should also work perfectly, they are also another common household item. Hope I helped
I was thinking of using a hose clamp and ‘capturing’ one end of the spring under this before tightening, and using the other end of the spring to hook onto the muffler (basically using the springs the opposite way from normal)!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts