BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 G310R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, this is a bizarre issue. Bike is a 2021 310R with 505 miles on it.

I went to pull out of a parking lot, and had a driver attempt to pull into me, I killed the bike, then started it up immediately after, CEL came on, and stayed on as I finished my 1/4 mile commute home. I got home, used the kill switch to attempt a shut down but the starter was cycling keeping the bike running, I removed the key, then I removed the seat and removed the positive terminal, and finally got the bike to shut down, any time I attempt to reconnect battery (kickstand down in gear, kill switch off, no key, doesn’t matter) the battery sparks and immediately cycles the starter again… I have been looking for the starter relay but it is not located with the other 2 near the battery (nor have I found where it’s located online) As most show 3 covered relays and my bike has one and a 2 wire plug next to it.

Where should I start?

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
get the dealer to pick up the bike and fix the issue, but take a video of it before you call them.

·
Registered
2021 G310R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get the dealer to pick up the bike and fix the issue, but take a video of it before you call them.
Sorry should’ve prefaced this, they can’t get me in for 2.5 weeks, so I was hoping I might be able to knock something out before my appointment.

But will do on the video!

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Sorry should’ve prefaced this, they can’t get me in for 2.5 weeks, so I was hoping I might be able to knock something out before my appointment.

But will do on the video!
Roadside assistance should put you up in the que ;)

(do you get complimentary roadside assistance in your first year or three years?)

·
Registered
2021 G310R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roadside assistance should put you up in the que ;)

(do you get complimentary roadside assistance in your first year or three years?)
First 3, I didn’t even think of that, I’ll call them first thing in the morning!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might be able to pull it apart w, would think connection inside has weld itself together possibly ?
Unless there is an issue with input from starter switch but once disconnected you could check that with test light or meter.

·
Registered
2021 G310R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might be able to pull it apart w, would think connection inside has weld itself together possibly ?
Unless there is an issue with input from starter switch but once disconnected you could check that with test light or meter.
Thank you for all of the insight! I will be testing the starter button after I remove the relay to verify. What do you mean by right under panel? Is this the right fairing closer to gas tank or? Any pictures as the only diagram showing the relay is just the relay with no reference to placement.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I went to pull out of a parking lot, and had a driver attempt to pull into me, I killed the bike, then started it up immediately after, CEL came on, and stayed on as I finished my 1/4 mile commute home. I got home, used the kill switch to attempt a shut down but the starter was cycling keeping the bike running, I removed the key, then I removed the seat and removed the positive terminal, and finally got the bike to shut down, any time I attempt to reconnect battery (kickstand down in gear, kill switch off, no key, doesn’t matter) the battery sparks and immediately cycles the starter again… I have been looking for the starter relay but it is not located with the other 2 near the battery (nor have I found where it’s located online) As most show 3 covered relays and my bike has one and a 2 wire plug next to it.

Where should I start?
I had the same problem many years ago on a K75S. Mechanic had never seen this before. Don’t remember what was the problem but it wasn’t expensive. Good luck. At least it is under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Where should I start?
I had my 310r 4 months and only done 300mile on it, was in the garage twice once a with a starter issue, once with a gear selector issue both needed fully replaced, sold it soon as it was fixed. I’d never buy another again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts