BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike no longer starts with a gear engaged. (Obviously clutch in no side stand.) Anyone else had this or have any thoughts?
Identical feeling to trying to start with kill switch on.
I did have the clutch lever and gear lever replaced by BMW (they were knocked out of place) and it has been since then. Any ideas gratefully received!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Almost certainly the clutch switch, maybe too much slack in the cable or defective switch. Is the clutch lever OEM, if not it may need to be modified to engage the switch.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My bike no longer starts with a gear engaged. (Obviously clutch in no side stand.) Anyone else had this or have any thoughts?
Identical feeling to trying to start with kill switch on.
I did have the clutch lever and gear lever replaced by BMW (they were knocked out of place) and it has been since then. Any ideas gratefully received!
Check the sidestand wiring, could be a loose wire down there on that switch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All parts fitted by BMW dealer. I’ll get the bike back to them to look at, hopefully a simple fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just to clarify, does it start ok in neutral?
Also (assuming that it does start in neutral):

Does the engine die when you shift into gear?

If so, then it's the side stand switch. If not, then the side stand switch isn't to blame.

The same applies to the clutch switch. Interlock switches are binary beasts - either they work or they don't.

We really need more info as to what does and does not work..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes always starts in neutral and no dying out with gear changes. No problems at all except if I happen to stall in 1st as our 310’s can occasionally do I can’t restart imm clutch in. Testing further at no time can I start with a gear selected. Only ever in neutral. Same behaviour as if the kill switch us on. Ie nothing.
Thank you for all your suggestions so far!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know what you mean, on my very first ride on this bike I stalled across a line of oncoming cars, was very grateful to find the bike would start in gear with clutch in so I could skedaddle out of there.
Still sounds to me like a clutch switch, please let us know what you find. Cheers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As Alice said - curiouser and curiouser.

What happens if you put the sidestand down with the engine running and in gear (clutch disengaged, obviously)?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tick, a wire problem at the prop stand put my engine light on, fixed now but as bm`s didn't put a bit of silicon on the socket to try make it water proof, I did.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So - the side stand switch is operating properly.

The clutch interlock also appears to be working properly.

Just about the only thing left is that the gear position sensor and/or the ECU is doing something wonky.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that I have ever tried to start mine in gear with the side stand up. Need to do it and see what happens.

Edit - + 5 minutes. Mine starts in gear with the side stand up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well. Strange but true. Those clever BMW chaps worked out it was the heated grip that was causing the problem. Something to do with the cable. So cable moved and all working like a dream now 🙂

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Mine has never started in gear even with the clutch fully engaged and sidestand up. I always have to put it in neutral to start.
You should definitely get that sorted out under warrantee, not good if you stall in the middle of traffic and need to get out of the way quickly. It sounds like your clutch switch or connection is defective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is about clutch switch/sensor. When you remove the lever you will see small metal strip, you just bend it a bit more so it gets activated earlier.

After reinstalling and pulling the lever you should haer silent click and be able to say in which position it gets activated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts