BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 18 months of faultless starting my 2018 has suddenly decided to take 5 or 6 stabs on the starter to get running.
The ONLY way is to hold the throttle 1/3 open while cranking which instantly revs to 5k or 6k when it fires.
I’m thinking it is fuel because it tries to start but immediately dies!
I’m nowhere near a dealer so can’t just drive it in and tell them to fix, so I’ve GOT to sort it at home.
The bike’s done 14,000km
Any ideas?
Runs PERFECTLY once started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi GeoffPD , do you think it might just be a bad tank of fuel.
or is is always happening now.
It sounds suspiciosly like many of the cold start issues [<5'C]
At least it will start with the open throttle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the tropics where it's always 28 to 35 C. I guess it could be bad fuel; it's happened twice now on this tank-full (out of maybe 5 starts after a few days standing). No problem re-starting once it's been running.
I'm due to re-fill again tomorrow so I'll see how it performs on the new tank.
I ALWAYS fill up at the same 'Shell' fuel station.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After 18 months of faultless starting my 2018 has suddenly decided to take 5 or 6 stabs on the starter to get running.
The ONLY way is to hold the throttle 1/3 open while cranking which instantly revs to 5k or 6k when it fires.
I’m thinking it is fuel because it tries to start but immediately dies!
I’m nowhere near a dealer so can’t just drive it in and tell them to fix, so I’ve GOT to sort it at home.
The bike’s done 14,000km
Any ideas?
Runs PERFECTLY once started!
Don't worry about this at all. Totally normal to give a few cranks if it's <10° C. Just give it a little throttle when she struggles, don't worry about it. I prime the engine twice on cold days (turn it off and on twice), that seems to work perfectly for me. Just make sure you wait for the engine light to turn off before starting.
Happy riding🙌🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

I got 310 in May 2020, and within 6weeks it would not start AT ALL! Just cranking and cranking, regular summer tempreture. I could smell gas out of tail pipe and engine occasionally sputter, but nothing else.

Took it to dealer and they said it started right away, changed oil and did service. Day I was going to pick it up, it would not start. So they kept bike for 6 weeks! Used computer, replaced everything relavent and it still would not start. They had video conference with the Mother ship in Germany and still nothing. It started to work after software update = they have no idea what was wrong.

After that the bike would not start at all only once. Luckily I was on top of the hill (bike was fully loaded and in middle of nowhere, not even cell signal). I been able to bump started. Ever since I carry the jump start battery and did not needed.

Bike has now 65000miles now =out of warranty and I’m waiting what goes wrong next... I do think that’s turning ignition on for 20 sec before pressing starter improves your chance on getting it started. Otherwise engine does run like a charm.

...just my 2c

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.....
Even with a full tank of fresh fuel o now always need 1/4 throttle to fire up. It instantly revs up to about 5k before settling down to about 1700 rpm tick over. Like I said.... I’m in the tropics so it’s not a cold temperature thing! 14,000 km ridden now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The petrol could be contaminated. It could contain too much water or have been contaminated with diesel fuel. Do you have any other source for petrol in your "Paradise"? If you only have one petrol station and their sale of a full tank container is slow, you could get same "****" on several continuous fill-ups.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The petrol could be contaminated. It could contain too much water or have been contaminated with diesel fuel. Do you have any other source for petrol in your "Paradise"? If you only have one petrol station and their sale of a full tank container is slow, you could get same "****" on several continuous fill-ups.
It’s a reasonably busy petrol station and normally I use regular 91 octane fuel.
For my full-tank refill a few days ago I used Premium 95 octane and the same again today when I filled up. It seems to be ok when I use 1/4 throttle when starting so I guess that’s my routine from now on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told be careful and no to touch throttle when starting up because of throttle position sensor might ‘confuse‘ the computer?!
Well it’s a case of Open the throttle up a little OR try continually pressing the start 4, 5, 6 or however many times until the battery probably start to fail.... and then you’re f****d!
It seems option 1 is all that’s available for me now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not ruining your motor nor confusing your ECU. Starting with an open throttle is physically recommended by BMW. Continuously cranking the starter could drain your battery and **** up your starter. Just prime the bike twice (turn it on, off and on again) and open the throttle a little. Can't be that difficult. If the problem continues, take it to the dealer when you have time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would bet one of the parts they replaced was the "crank position sensor". I had one go bad on a 2010 Triumph.
I read a lot on the Triumph forums and found out that the "Air gap" set from the factory was off. I replaced my sensor and set the air gap to the recommended spec. and everything was fine. hard starting may be something to do with incorrect "air gap" setting.
Here is an article from a Ducati owner that explains it well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts