BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed any light on the stock exhaust meeting forestry requirements? I was thinking about riding the shenandoah 500 again this year but doing the ADV route and taking the 310 for a more relaxed ride than my 2T 200 gasgas. They are requiring spark arresters on all bikes though. I dont see anything on the stock exhaust that shows that it meets that. Does anyone have any specific experience on if it meets that requirement? It would seem being an ADV bike that it would be built to meet the riding requirements in the forest???

·
Registered
582 Posts
I’ve always thought all street legal bikes were by definition not sparkers. Catalytic converters been source of fire hazard forever. Not through sparks though.
Certainly clear as mud at USDA website……would kinda throw a little onto keeping the stock muffler though. Website has no reference to street legal units just off high way. One would not only have to adapt an arrestor, but it would have to be an “approved“ arrestor as well. My experience is they don’t even look at plated bikes if stock but will look close at aftermarket mufflers like a supertrapp for that stamp of approval. Worth checking as nobody wants to be the “that guy the burned the forest” especially since they charge you now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If as dull witted as I you can spend a while perusing the Forest Service guide and still not know much. No BMW systems are approved. Suzuki, Yamaha yes. But really seems like street legal units exempt as long as legally equipped and licenced. Doesn’t mean you couldn’t add an arrestor if required to or if running aftermarket exhaust. Learn something everyday. I think your odds a greater starting a conflagration with a crash into fuel and a hot tail pipe rather than sparks shooting out.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
503 Posts
Certainly clear as mud at USDA website…

My experience is they don’t even look at plated bikes if stock
This. I think the regulations are unclear even to field enforcement.

If as dull witted as I you can spend a while perusing the Forest Service guide and still not know much.
Yes, and that's a problem. Field enforcement could interpret things different ways, different areas.

And Lord only knows what the lawyers could do with this language if the fire starts.

Once knew an attorney that expanded on an old saying with this;

"It's as clear as mud. And mud has made me rich."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe something like this, idk. At least is says it is USFS approved. They wanted to see that the last time i think.

I put in a request to see if they will clarify it for me. I would like to try the ADV course this year. I would think that other events would all require this and that there would be some BMWs out there somewhere... interesting to me that it is this uncertain. These are AMA events, their rules, dont know why its so hard to find info on it though. This is really more of a dual sport event I think than an ADV. They have two routes which I didnt know, one DS one ADV. Some fairly difficult single track and several "challenge sections". 350 miles offroad in two days. Did it once 12 years ago on my KTM 400 that I had at the time if I recall. It was exhausting. last thing I would want to do is deal with all that rock on the GS, that suspension is awful.
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts