BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well...after striping my GS down to fit some goodies and to sort out the annoyingly bouncy head light, it's finally all back together. So I thought I would post my impression of the bike underneath all the plastic. I am quite happy with the quality and the fit of things but I would definitely recommend taking out all the bolts that need removing for servicing the bike and putting some anti seize on the threads. Nearly all the trim bolts go into spring clips which go over plastic lugs on the part behind. I'm sure that the threads will rust up when exposed to salt etc. And the force required to undo them will almost certainly break the plastic part that holds the clip. So I've done that with all the bolts that I could find. Also, don't over tighten the bolts for the same reason. 馃槈

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
This is the reason it bounces around so much. The headlight is held in this plastic bracket by 2 bolts (1 each side). As you can see the bracket is fixed to the bike using 3 bolts and rubber cotton reel type bushes. It's like this to dampen out vibration getting to the headlight bulb I presume.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
So I made new sold bushes from aluminium to replace the rubber ones. This takes a lot of the damping and movement out of the bracket and makes the headlight a lot more ridged. It still moves a little as it's only held in place by the 2 side bolts. And there is also a little flex in the plastic parts, but I would say it's reduced the movement by around 80%. I've seen a video on YouTube were a guy does a similar job by just using washers.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts