BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone confirm if the rear subframe is the same on the R as it is on the GS ?

I was thinking of replacing the grab handle/rack on my GS with the handles from an R model and also the side fairings as they come in matching colors with my tank.

I know the grab handles match, but I'm unsure about the fairings

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can't really give you an answer, but if I was in BMW's shoes, I would keep a single part number for the metal and adjust the molds for the plastic to use the same mounting points.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it's the Heckrahmen Bertelsen is looking info for. The part numbers are different :
GS Teilenummer : 46518562029
R Teilenummer : 46518554147

But doing a image compare, I do not see a difference between the 2. And, again, as a manufacturer I would not build 2 parts where I can get away with one

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it's the Heckrahmen Bertelsen is looking info for. The part numbers are different :
GS Teilenummer : 46518562029
R Teilenummer : 46518554147

But doing a image compare, I do not see a difference between the 2. And, again, as a manufacturer I would not build 2 parts where I can get away with one
Believing is something ells than knowing. If the parts are identical, why have different P/N?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Believing is something ells than knowing. If the parts are identical, why have different P/N?
The subframes may be slightly different but the attachment points for the rack or handles I’m sure are the same. My g310r came with the GS rack on it. I’m pretty sure they didn’t swap subframes also

·
Registered
302 Posts
The subframes may be slightly different but the attachment points for the rack or handles I’m sure are the same. My g310r came with the GS rack on it. I’m pretty sure they didn’t swap subframes also
If you haven't compared the frames, how can you be "pretty sure"? There is only one way to be sure, that is by comparing the actual frames to each other. I too assume there would be no problems changing the rack to grab handles, but does that go for the fairings? I'm careful not to give the impression of knowing things I am not sure about. In cases where I don't have facts to base my statements on, I keep my mouth shut, or clearly say it's only an opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think everyone should look more carefully at the technical drawings kindly supplied by Hasselman.
Look at the front foot peg mounts which are clearly visible on the G310GS version. These are completely missing on the R, since they are integrated into the ally mounts for the rear pegs. Now, look at the mounting lugs for bodywork at the apex of the rear triangulation between top and bottom frame rails. One is just a tab on the front tube, the other a 'strap' running between the 2 sides of the triangle. So, are they the same ? Absolutely NOT. As for mounting the GS rack on the R, I have seen several pics of the R handles on the GS, so I 'think' that there should be no problem. But as pointed out above, I do not KNOW ! However, I think that the bodywork is less likely, based on the changes in mounting tabs for other body panels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I KNOW I have a GS rear rack on my R.
The previous owner did not change the subframe to do that. I have seen GS’s with
Grab handles instead of a rack Id be surprised if they changed their subframe to do that also. As far as fairings go. I have no idea. Part numbers mean nothing in the case of the rack fitting or not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I KNOW I have a GS rear rack on my R.
The previous owner did not change the subframe to do that. I have seen GS’s with
Grab handles instead of a rack Id be surprised if they changed their subframe to do that also. As far as fairings go. I have no idea. Part numbers mean nothing in the case of the rack fitting or not.
It has earlier been established, by Jenni Morgan (JMo) and you amongst others, that the handles and luggage rack both fit on both bike models. However, I've yet so see somebody show that the fairing parts are interchangeable. As said before, only way to proof it, is to do it and succeed or fail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts