BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All from Lancashire, England. Getting my 310R later this week/next week.
Do you use Super unleaded? is there any benefit or should I just use normal?

·
Registered
191 Posts
There was a previous discussion on the subject....consensus was go with regular. Even though some claimed less cold start problems with super.
Personally I use regular when riding, but when I store for winter (Canada, Eh!) I fill it with super to avoid Ethanol's degradation to water.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There was a previous discussion on the subject....consensus was go with regular. Even though some claimed less cold start problems with super.
Personally I use regular when riding, but when I store for winter (Canada, Eh!) I fill it with super to avoid Ethanol's degradation to water.
That sounds like a good approach to me. My version is to fill the tank, add fuel stabilizer, connect the battery tender, and wait for spring (central Maine, Eh!).

Despite the myth that refuses to die, higher octane fuel doesn't result in more horsepower. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to knocking and are blended for use in higher performance engines. The G310 engine is not high performance so using higher octane fuels can best be described, in my opinion, as unnecessarily parting with your hard earned cash - dollars, pounds, pesos, marks, or gazintas. Remember, seat-of-the-pants dynamometers are notoriously inaccurate. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ryan FortNine on youtube did an interesting test on fuel stabilizers....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsGBhB5g7o
in short, comparable to high octane when it comes to parting with Moolah.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
The bike seems perfectly happy with 95ron, I used 98ron initially, but It doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't use anything under 95ron though as the compression ratio is around 10-1, the same as a Mercedes that I owned in the past and it had problems when I filled it up with less than 95ron.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As there are different methods to determinate octane rating (aprox. 3-5) and it differs with market regions, it's nearly impossible to make recommendations about what is best. The only recommendation I follow is the one in the user manual: Regular, unleaded (maximum 10 % ethanol, E10), 91 ROZ/RON, 87 AKI.
In my country they add 5% ethanol to the 98RON and 10% to the 95RON. We only have those two variations, except E85 (85% ethanol). In the summer I use whatever is found in the pump. The remaining four seasons I use 98RON to avoid water contamination causing condensation in the tank. It also seems easier to get the bike started in cold weather with less alcohol in the fuel.

More on octane rating here.

Ps. Yes, we have 5 seasons. Winter, spring, summer, autumn and black winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can’t prove it but 98 super does ”seem” to give a little bit more grunt on mid range pickup ..and that’s coming from a tight fisted Yorkshire man who hates spending extra money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use ordinary 95RON but try and fill with ethanol free 98RON Super Unleaded if I know the bike will not be used for a while. Cannot say I really notice much difference between the fuels but cold starting does seem a bit easier on the ex[pensive stuff. In the UK, Esso premium is claimed to have no alcohol in it but check as some regions get a different blend.I know it smells different from standard stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts