BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my GS, the first modification was to install SW-Motech's center stand. I found another source of center stand (from Thailand, China, etc), but they were not cheap enough to try. So I decided to depend on the big brand. 149.90EUR shipped was not a bad deal.

There were two problems during the installation. On a trial fitting, I noticed:

1. The holes on the heart-shaped spring bolt plate and pivot bolt were not perfectly aligned. So I decided to expand the through hole to slot hole so that the threaded hole can accept the bolt fixing the chain roller. Oh, what a German quality!

2. The seating surface of the original bolt fixing the chain roller was not seated at all at the bracket hole.This was due to the lack of length of the thread part of the original bolt. The best solution should have been forming 2 or 3 more threads on the original bolt with die, but I went in an easy way. I decided to place the spacer (originally placed between the chain roller and the flange nut) under the bolt head. When I happent to replace the worn chain roller in the future, I might put a large diameter spacer or prepare a special bolt. This is a workaround for now.

Well, this might be the hardest part, the return spring installation. I am sure that I used to have a special tool (picture), but I couldn't find out the one in my garage at that time:frown2:

I put the bike on the table lift, secured front wheel by wheel vise, put the paddock stand under the swing arm, removed rear wheel to make space for work, strapped the center stand at fully retracted position. And then I pulled the end of the springs one by one with T-shaped spring setting tool to settle the springs at the post. Although I highly recommend to use a dedicated spring installation tool, but this is what I did without using one. If you can secure the front wheel and the swing arm, you can ease the work. The "ratchet tie down method" will work fine with the rear wheel removed.

Well, the real hardest part of this installation was to clear the surface of the table lift occupied by immovable project bike:grin2:

Do any of GS owners with SW-Motech's center stand experience such problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Sam
Chris here. I purchased the SW Motech center stand and have had at least one of the same issues... the spring bolt plate was obviously machined a bit off, as it will not allow the roller bolt to pass through both holes. It seems the hole is off by about a 16th of an inch... Because of this, I don't know if I will have the same issue with the bolt threads, but it sounds likely. I purchased mine through Twisted Throttle and I was curious where you bought yours from and if you addressed it with them. You sound much more mechanically inclined than myself, so I was wondering if I should just take the plate and bolt to a local machine shop and have the hole enlarged and two more threads added to the bolt, for a small fee... would that fix the problem to avoid the hassle of returning it to TT and receiving another one with the same issue?
This has been very frustrating, to say the least and I appreciate any help you can provide.

2018 G310GS (Black)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do not have any experience with a centerstand for a gs because I do have a 310r.
Still i’m Interested in a centerstand for the 310 r But ....... nobody is producing this item.
I looked at your pictures and my suggestion would be ....... your chain needs some grease ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI Sam
Chris here. I purchased the SW Motech center stand and have had at least one of the same issues... the spring bolt plate was obviously machined a bit off, as it will not allow the roller bolt to pass through both holes. It seems the hole is off by about a 16th of an inch... Because of this, I don't know if I will have the same issue with the bolt threads, but it sounds likely. I purchased mine through Twisted Throttle and I was curious where you bought yours from and if you addressed it with them. You sound much more mechanically inclined than myself, so I was wondering if I should just take the plate and bolt to a local machine shop and have the hole enlarged and two more threads added to the bolt, for a small fee... would that fix the problem to avoid the hassle of returning it to TT and receiving another one with the same issue?
This has been very frustrating, to say the least and I appreciate any help you can provide.

2018 G310GS (Black)
Hi Telecaster,

I got mine from SD MOTO in France last August. It was the original pre-recall version; item No. HPS.07.862.10000/B. As you may know, SW discontinued this model last fall to address the recalled side stand, and recently reintroduced a new version; HPS.07.862.10001/B.

The bad news is that the spring bolt plate remains unchanged (in terms of the individual part number). This means that the current model may have the same issue.:frown2:

When I found the issue, I decided not to contact them to avoid the hassle of return negotiations, and to go 'actual-thing matching' installation.

I did the job by myself, but it'll be a good idea to take the spring bolt plate to your local machine shop to get the job done. However, you must be cautious when adding some more threads to the retaining bolt, as the idea has never been proven.

Hope this helps.

I do not have any experience with a centerstand for a gs because I do have a 310r.
Still i’m Interested in a centerstand for the 310 r But ....... nobody is producing this item.
I looked at your pictures and my suggestion would be ....... your chain needs some grease ;-)
Ouch, don't mention it, Bas :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish I read some of this before. I just bought a SW Motech centrestand. Purchased from Motorcycle Road and Race in Ashford Middlesex £133.01. The Model is HPS.07.862.10001/B

As noted above, the Spring Bolt Plate holes still don't line up. The screw for the chain roll fitted with a bit of perseverance but then the left hand frame mounting hole was out of position. This means you can't get the M10 Lenshead screw through.

Picture 1 shows the M10 Screw in the frame but then blocked at the Spring Bolt Plate due to the hole being in the wrong location.
Picture 2 shows the difference in hole position. I appreciate the photo is taken at an angle but there is no way this M10 Screw is getting through without any physical changes.

I'll speak to the company tomorrow so where where we go.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
i bought my centre stand from wunderlich i believe it is the same stand just a different name...... looking at the assembly instruction , i had the same problem with the holes not lining up perfectly.. In the end i loosened the other bolt right to the end of its thread then tightened up the roller one till it bit on the thread , then slowly tightening up both . fortunately it worked and no thread was stripped ,. when finished i noticed the roller had some lateral travel , so i think i may have missed a washer off ,its not too bad so will leave it a couple of months then have another look at the situation .. As the saying goes " if it ain't broke don't fix it " and at the moment it is all working fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought my centre stand from wunderlich i believe it is the same stand just a different name...... looking at the assembly instruction , i had the same problem with the holes not lining up perfectly.. In the end i loosened the other bolt right to the end of its thread then tightened up the roller one till it bit on the thread , then slowly tightening up both . fortunately it worked and no thread was stripped ,. when finished i noticed the roller had some lateral travel , so i think i may have missed a washer off ,its not too bad so will leave it a couple of months then have another look at the situation .. As the saying goes " if it ain't broke don't fix it " and at the moment it is all working fine
Thanks for that.

MCRR have got a reply from SW Motech "Due to the tolerance being so varied on the G310 we occasionally get these issues and to cut a long story short nothing can be done. We have looked at the photos and have explained that the centre stand looks true and correct and that the bike itself seems to be the issue."

I genuinely can't imagine how the distance between two points on a BMW can be that varied.

So unless you are lucky with your model of 310 or up for some personal modifications on the plate, maybe this isn't the stand if you're thinking about self installation and don't have the tools/skills/contacts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Telecaster,

I got mine from SD MOTO in France last August. It was the original pre-recall version; item No. HPS.07.862.10000/B. As you may know, SW discontinued this model last fall to address the recalled side stand, and recently reintroduced a new version; HPS.07.862.10001/B.

The bad news is that the spring bolt plate remains unchanged (in terms of the individual part number). This means that the current model may have the same issue.:frown2:

When I found the issue, I decided not to contact them to avoid the hassle of return negotiations, and to go 'actual-thing matching' installation.

I did the job by myself, but it'll be a good idea to take the spring bolt plate to your local machine shop to get the job done. However, you must be cautious when adding some more threads to the retaining bolt, as the idea has never been proven.

Hope this helps.

Ouch, don't mention it, Bas :grin2:
Hi Sam,

Forgive my ignorance but when you took the plate to be machined how did they do it? Did they drill another hole overlapping the first/did they measure it themselves? Curious to know what my potential options are. Many thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately i started another post regarding stand problems with the crash bars i installed . GIVI TN5216 Engine Protection bars and Wunderlich... my stand is now on its way back to Germany, but some of this information might be relevant to this thread
As you can see in the photos the bent frame bit .... So i looked at the specifications to see the difference between the G310R and the G310GS . There is a weight difference not a lot ,but a difference , and a length and height difference which all may have lead to the underside bending due to extra leverage.
So i wonder if the stand was specifically designed for the G310R and it was assumed it would fit the G310GS.. that would explain the hole differences in manufacturing as a different frame jig set up.. It would be interesting if G310R owners have not had problems with the stand fitting

A major difference that could be the cause of the rear wheel touching the ground on the GS is .. the G310R has 2 X 17inch wheels front and rear , the G310Gs has a 19 inch front wheel that will lower the rear wheel to touch the ground when up on the stand , 2 inches is a big difference ,so the same stand cannot be used on both bike models

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I got my GS, the first modification was to install SW-Motech's center stand. I found another source of center stand (from Thailand, China, etc), but they were not cheap enough to try. So I decided to depend on the big brand. 149.90EUR shipped was not a bad deal.

There were two problems during the installation. On a trial fitting, I noticed:

1. The holes on the heart-shaped spring bolt plate and pivot bolt were not perfectly aligned. So I decided to expand the through hole to slot hole so that the threaded hole can accept the bolt fixing the chain roller. Oh, what a German quality!

2. The seating surface of the original bolt fixing the chain roller was not seated at all at the bracket hole.This was due to the lack of length of the thread part of the original bolt. The best solution should have been forming 2 or 3 more threads on the original bolt with die, but I went in an easy way. I decided to place the spacer (originally placed between the chain roller and the flange nut) under the bolt head. When I happent to replace the worn chain roller in the future, I might put a large diameter spacer or prepare a special bolt. This is a workaround for now.

Well, this might be the hardest part, the return spring installation. I am sure that I used to have a special tool (picture), but I couldn't find out the one in my garage at that time:frown2:

I put the bike on the table lift, secured front wheel by wheel vise, put the paddock stand under the swing arm, removed rear wheel to make space for work, strapped the center stand at fully retracted position. And then I pulled the end of the springs one by one with T-shaped spring setting tool to settle the springs at the post. Although I highly recommend to use a dedicated spring installation tool, but this is what I did without using one. If you can secure the front wheel and the swing arm, you can ease the work. The "ratchet tie down method" will work fine with the rear wheel removed.

Well, the real hardest part of this installation was to clear the surface of the table lift occupied by immovable project bike:grin2:

Do any of GS owners with SW-Motech's center stand experience such problems?
Hi Sam,

BMW 310 GS SW- Motech Center Stand installation
What is the difference between a 12 hour struggle and 2 hours A to B?
Answer: Deciphering the awful instructions and a lot of trial and error.
The easy way:
  1. Read the instructions, clearly mark which is left and right on every drawing and find and correct the left/right error on page 5.
  2. Go over the parts list and note where the washers go and that there is a spacer that could be confused with a washer.
  3. (Step 2) fit the spring bolt plate - note that the spring bolt, that the springs will hang on, goes to the top and sits just in front of the exhaust pipe. Make sure you include the spacer and lock tight. You can torque this up right away. You will notice that the bolt plate will “float” back and forth and tap on the exhaust pipe. Relax, it’s correct!
  4. Grease up your bushes and double check which way they are fitted in the frame sides.
  5. Fit the Right side stand mounting as per the destructions - not too tight yet.
  6. Fitting the LEFT side: First thing you will notice is that you will have to cut about 3 mm from the side of the rubber strip because it is too wide for the space. Next you will find the you cannot get the spacer in, for the same reasons. I had to grind off 2-3 mm to get it in.
  7. Now for the hard part - the springs! After many hours of U-tube, special tools and sweat and strain I found the easy way.
  8. Use a big cable tie to hold the installed stand hard up against its stop.
  9. Join up the SPRING BOW and the springs: make sure the springs hook into the smaller hole of the spring bow.
  10. Hang the spring bow assembly onto the peg of the spring plate you fitted in step 3 above. NOTE; make sure that the concave edge is the the rear, do not hang it in the slot (where it is supposed to go) but slide it to the right against the plate.
  11. Now line up the springs, you will probably fit the inner with your fingers and the outer will pop on easily with a flat screwdriver.
  12. NOW! Insert that big screwdriver behind the chain roller until it gets behind that spring bow and give it a couple of bumps with your free hand and drive it along the peg until it drops into the slot.
  13. Make sure everything it tightened up, cut the cable tie and put your bike on its new center stand.
PS. The care and service from Twisted Throttle is great. I am 83 and did the job outside in the Florida summer heat. If I can do it anyone can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts