BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a SW-Motech skid plate on my '19 GS. I was going to order their engine crash bars but appears they don't also offer upper fairing protection should I choose to add that later. So I'm concerned if I go with their engine crash bars a different brand of upper won't work.

Anyone using the SW-Motech Skid plate with different brand(s) engine & upper bars?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hepco & Becker have crash bars and Tank protection which only fits together. I have also SW-Motech Crash bars and looking at the instructions of Hepco and Becker they only fit with their own crash bars.
Maybe someone else has a solution for it. I will be interested in it as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is a post I did sometime ago on crash bar options that you might find useful...

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/19...ction-options-bmw-g-310-gs-detailed-look.html

I went with the Hepco and Becker - really like but I did have some difficulties with getting the upper guard to fit - if your bike has the variances a couple of spacers will fix the problem...
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/194-bmw-g310-gs-general-discussion/5330-hepco-becker-additions.html

I'm now in the market for a skid plate and from what I can gather the SW-Motech skid plate (which I really like) will fit with the Hepco and Becker engine guards. Here's a thread on the combo... https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/19...otech-engine-guard-hepco-protection-bars.html

From what I can gather is that the cheaper skid plates connect on the bottom with only four connection points like the factory piece of crap plastic. They protect the oil filter with an additional housing protection around the filter. Still very prone to damage.

Better skid plates like the SW-Motech have six connection points with the top two connecting to the engine. The skid plate is all one piece and protects the oil filter. In order to give the top two connection points strength there is a flange/bracket that attached directly to the bike. If these connection points are the same points of your chosen crash bars then they will likely not fit.

I think Focus Frenzy has the Hepco Becker engine guard with the SW Motech Skid Plate. He might be able to shed some light on the fit.

https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/4782/swmotech_skid_plate_bmwg310_gs20172018.pdf

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gtown, I had read (several times) you're most excellent post with all the protection options. Very well done.

The balance of the info you've provided above is exactly what I was looking for, not sure how I missed it. Unless someone is using the SW-Motech engine bars with another manufacturer's tank bars I'll go the Hepco route for both of those.

Thanks again
Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just installed a SW-Motech skid plate on my '19 GS. I was going to order their engine crash bars but appears they don't also offer upper fairing protection should I choose to add that later. So I'm concerned if I go with their engine crash bars a different brand of upper won't work.

Anyone using the SW-Motech Skid plate with different brand(s) engine & upper bars?

Thanks
Dan
I have both from sw-Motech with no upper crash bars. I do have bark busters which also help when you drop your bike. Over the last year + of riding I have dropped the bike on many a challenging trail. I live in British Columbia and ride some pretty rough trails with a ton of rocks. So far the engine crash bars have prevented any damage to the bike. I know there is some rock out there with my fairing or tanks name on it but so far so good. Love the SW-Motech quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have both from sw-Motech with no upper crash bars. I do have bark busters which also help when you drop your bike. Over the last year + of riding I have dropped the bike on many a challenging trail. I live in British Columbia and ride some pretty rough trails with a ton of rocks. So far the engine crash bars have prevented any damage to the bike. I know there is some rock out there with my fairing or tanks name on it but so far so good. Love the SW-Motech quality.
Hey Maverick, thanks for the post. I'm also from BC (Vancouver), and was thinking of going with SW-MOTECH for both skid plate and crash bars. Glad to hear they work well.

I'm still tempted by some of the upper crash bars I've seen... so I'm off to do a bit more research. Fitting with the SW-MOTECH skid plate is my biggest concern. (The skid plates on Aliexpress do not look as strong or well-mounted as the SW-MOTECH).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Maverick, thanks for the post. I'm also from BC (Vancouver), and was thinking of going with SW-MOTECH for both skid plate and crash bars. Glad to hear they work well.

I'm still tempted by some of the upper crash bars I've seen... so I'm off to do a bit more research. Fitting with the SW-MOTECH skid plate is my biggest concern. (The skid plates on Aliexpress do not look as strong or well-mounted as the SW-

I'm still tempted by some of the upper crash bars I've seen... so I'm off to do a bit more research. Fitting with the SW-MOTECH skid plate is my biggest concern. (The skid plates on Aliexpress do not look as strong or well-mounted as the SW-MOTECH).
Eager to see what you find. I’ve been riding a lot in the lava flows which has a ton of rocks on the trails and those crash bars might come in handy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eager to see what you find. I’ve been riding a lot in the lava flows which has a ton of rocks on the trails and those crash bars might come in handy.
So far, it seems the Hepco & Becker crash bars fit with the SW-MOTECH plate, also H&B offer both upper and lower crash bars. I looked into ordering but only found a US source that charges US$90 shipping (!).

Lava flows? I'm guessing you aren't in Vancouver... (or else tell me where to go riding for such cool excitement!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI, here is how well the official-BMW crash bars work (lower only):

You can also see them installed here:

The BMW crash bars share the same bolts as the SW-MOTECH plate's reinforcing bracket at the front. (The BMW plate only attaches to the bottom 4 bolts of the engine pan, whereas SW-MOTEC adds 2 more bolts in the front to protect the oil filter a bit better, but it's these bolts that seem to get in the way of many crash bars).

·
Registered
12 Posts
So far, it seems the Hepco & Becker crash bars fit with the SW-MOTECH plate, also H&B offer both upper and lower crash bars. I looked into ordering but only found a US source that charges US$90 shipping (!).

Lava flows? I'm guessing you aren't in Vancouver... (or else tell me where to go riding for such cool excitement!)
Lava Flows & Cat Lake are two big off road riding areas in the Squamish area. McNutt is another one in Maple Ridge. All of them offer beginner to advanced trails and are easy to get to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lava Flows & Cat Lake are two big off road riding areas in the Squamish area. McNutt is another one in Maple Ridge. All of them offer beginner to advanced trails and are easy to get to.
And $90 US shipping is extortion!!! There is a Canadian H&B distributor who I spoke to. I think he’s in Alberta. Try giving him a call as he was a very reasonable guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up buying the SRC Moto crash bars from a site in Japan... cheaper for both the bars and shipping than directly from SRC Moto!

The SW-MOTECH skid plate bracket shares the same 2 forward side bolts with the SRC crash bars, but this wan't a problem. I installed the SW-MOTECH bracket on first, then the crash bars on top of it. As a result, the crash bars were a bit more tricky to join together the two halves, but it only took about 5 minutes of "convincing" for it to work. It would have been even faster with a 2nd person to help me.

The skid plate is too tall for the crash bars, so I had to cut off the little "ears" that stick up on both sides of the skid plate. Now it fits like a dream.

I like this combo because the skid plate and the bars both seem to offer best-in-class protection compared to the alternatives that I've looked at. The bars in particular stick out a bit further, which will help save my legs in a crash. The skid plate, with those 2 extra bolts, provides some crush resistance to better protect the oil filter if the bike comes down hard while moving forward (duh!).

Now on to investigating rear saddle racks... thinking of the GIVI (again, mostly to provide protection for my legs, but also to give something to saddle bags to hang on to...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am on the same boat as most of your, looking for crash bars, engine guard and skid plate that will fit together, won’t kill the bank and won’t look hideous
I’lll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully you guys will post comments on what you got and how it fitted

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
5 Posts
I am on the same boat as most of your, looking for crash bars, engine guard and skid plate that will fit together, won’t kill the bank and won’t look hideous
I’lll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully you guys will post comments on what you got and how it fitted
I'm with you. I've never had a bike as difficult as this little GS for fitting aftermarket parts. Have you made any progress with your search?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up buying the SRC Moto crash bars from a site in Japan... cheaper for both the bars and shipping than directly from SRC Moto!

The SW-MOTECH skid plate bracket shares the same 2 forward side bolts with the SRC crash bars, but this wan't a problem. I installed the SW-MOTECH bracket on first, then the crash bars on top of it. As a result, the crash bars were a bit more tricky to join together the two halves, but it only took about 5 minutes of "convincing" for it to work. It would have been even faster with a 2nd person to help me.

The skid plate is too tall for the crash bars, so I had to cut off the little "ears" that stick up on both sides of the skid plate. Now it fits like a dream.

I like this combo because the skid plate and the bars both seem to offer best-in-class protection compared to the alternatives that I've looked at. The bars in particular stick out a bit further, which will help save my legs in a crash. The skid plate, with those 2 extra bolts, provides some crush resistance to better protect the oil filter if the bike comes down hard while moving forward (duh!).

Now on to investigating rear saddle racks... thinking of the GIVI (again, mostly to provide protection for my legs, but also to give something to saddle bags to hang on to...)
Hi Guy,

I am thinking about the same combo - the SRC crash bars and SW-Motech Bash plate.

The SRC crash bars seems a bit better than the motech ones, and I also like the fact that they are wider.
Likewise the SW-Motech bash plate seems better than the rest as you mentioned.

I see you had to do some cutting etc to make it fit- would you still suggest this combo, or rather just SRC everything?
Would it be too much trouble to maybe send me a photo or two, so I can see what it looks like and what you cut? would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm with you. I've never had a bike as difficult as this little GS for fitting aftermarket parts. Have you made any progress with your search?
Well, 5 months later… I went the eBay random seller route. Cheap stuff, $240 for engine and tank guard. A week later it’s still not installed: a screw head broke and now I have to get the rest out. Another screw s Allen head is stripped and I also can my get it out. And it’s the main one, tightened at 45nm.
that s for the engine guard
For the tank guard: 2 screws missing. 2 spacers missing. And the two sections that meet in The front under the cockpit are only attached to the frame with 2 small screws when other legit products are fixed to the fork head (whatever it’s called )
I have up on communicating with the seller who barely understands English and never answers the questions I asked
So don’t go cheap on the parts, is the lesson for all!!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts