BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at options to make my 'R a bit more usable, what do other people use?
I'll probably get a rack at some point for my Givi top box, but for the time being I'm looking for something for the everyday bits and pieces and the odd bit of shopping:grin2:

Registered
I bought a Wunderlich tankbag which I use on a day to day basis.
For my weekend trip I also use a top case (hepco&becker) and when I go away for a longer time, I carry a ortlieb canoe bag which is very solid and waterproof on the passenger seat.
With the Wunderlich tankbag I also bought the map part (you can put a map or your cellphone in it).
It suits my needs 馃榾

Registered
I have a Cortec bag on my 310. Its got a bunch or zippered pockets and can hold a decent amount of stuff without lousing up the look of the bike.

Registered
I鈥檓 happy with the OEM tank bag. Expands to 20+ litres to accomodate a good amount of shopping. Additionally has the benefit of taking the wind pressure off your chest at highway speeds.

Registered
Thanks for the replies, Bas310, PaulS and Eccles:smile2:
The options you've mentioned would certainly work for me too.
We don't get Cortech over here in the UK, but my Brother lives in California and visits several times a year, so choosing something for your side of the Atlantic isn't much of an issue, just a bit of a wait.
I'm looking at some locally supplied options at the moment, when I make a purchase:grin2:

Registered
So I'm looking at options to make my 'R a bit more usable, what do other people use?
I'll probably get a rack at some point for my Givi top box, but for the time being I'm looking for something for the everyday bits and pieces and the odd bit of shopping:grin2:
I have the BMW tail bag. Dealer wanted way too much $250, I made the deal at purchase for $125. Well built,
very easy to remove (steal) :frown2:. There are just so many choices out there for tail and tank bags now.
Weatherproof and on sale are your best bets.

Registered
Has anybody stateside found a BF31 mounting ring for the R? The tanklock Givi looks like a good answer but every website lists the ring out of stock. If there is another brand with a similar mounting system I am interested.

Bob

Registered
I have a BMW rear rack with a Cortec tail bag. It holds a good bit of my daily needs and doesn't look too bulky.

Registered
I鈥檓 happy with the OEM tank bag. Expands to 20+ litres to accomodate a good amount of shopping. Additionally has the benefit of taking the wind pressure off your chest at highway speeds.
Eccles can you show me where on the frame by the seat you attached your straps? Mine kind of rub my thigh. I just want to see if you had the same issue and where you put your straps.

Registered
I'm using a Cortec on the BMW rack. It looks good, has a good amount of space, numerous pockets and after 6 months I can highly recommend this pack.

Attachments

Registered
BMW bag works nicely for me. Three changes and rain suit. I strap a dry bag to the seat for camping gear. Coming from a sidecar last year this is a big change. The big thick book of instructions has a few pages of English and a picture showing the straps go under the seat and thus do not touch you anywhere. Bag pivots forward by un-clipping the two rear straps for fueling.

Registered
I like SW-Motech rear rack with Givi top box, and SW-Motech tank bag with quick release. I only ride my bike on the highway and these two items are always full. Have SW-Motech Blaze saddle bags as well.

Attachments

Registered
I use the US range of Kriega bags. They work well, are waterproof and can even be worn with the waist band, which came in handy when I had to leave my bike at BMW for a month. What is really nice is that they link together, so I use them when I go camping as well.
The small bags are 20 liters and the large on is 30. I usually put my sleeping bag in the bottom of the 30 liter one, so I have a nice soft backrest. :)

Attachments

Registered
+1 For the Kriega System.

I have the US-20 on the back seat, which I think is the sweet-spot in terms of usability and options to expand (you can attach US-10 bags on both left/right side of the US-20 for a maximum 40 liters storage). The US-20 also can be slung over your shoulder with a strap, so you can take the bag with you.

ALSO - When you don't need to carry anything, the tiny loops that hold the bag to the bike are almost invisible, if setup right.

I use this setup for my commute to work.

Registered
loka

Do the Kriega bags attach under the seat? They look like a nice option to carry a little more stuff without a luggage rack. Are they water proof?

Thanks

Registered
@oldandslow

There are small 'loop' straps you attach to the frame/under the seat. The loops stick out about an inch from the edge of the underside of the seat. From there, the bags have straps with little metal hooks that hook into the loops. You then tighten down the the straps to secure it to the bike.

The bags are waterproof (supposedly) though I cannot attest to their waterproof-ness in real life as I've only been through some light rain. The outer shell is somewhat water resistant, and then there is an inner 'white' layer which feels much more 'rubbery' and coated which is supposed to be completely waterproof.

The opening to the bags roll 3 times over and then clip down on the side to keep water out, and there is a smaller pocket on the outside shell with a rubberized, waterproof zipper.

I'm sure there are plenty of review videos online with up-close shots and stuff to see it all working... but if you want, I can try to take pics tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts