Any tank bag recommendations?

Many thanks!

Mark
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any tank bag recommendations?
Kinda hard to do unless you tell us what you want to carry around in it, and how you intend to use it. There are dozens of them out there that will work just fine on a 310, but they range in size from 4l to 25l and up. Some are waterproof, some require a waterproof liner or cover. Some mount and unmount easily, some not so much.

I've got the Giant Loop Fandango Pro on my 310GS. It's just the right size for me to carry my Sony A7RII camera with a 24-105mm lens attached, plus a few little knick-knacks like snacks and a pair of sunglasses. It's highly water resistant, but also comes with a "dry-pod" liner. And it has a small map window.

Works for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just clothes..

Mark
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hm... Well, I'm afraid I've never considered using a tank bag for carrying around clothes, so I can't think of any good suggestions for you, Mark. Maybe someone else here can. But it might help it you narrowed it down a bit. I mean "clothes" can encompass everything from a full-body, armored suit to a G-string and some pasties. :laugh:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to visit friends for a couple of weeks. About 80 miles away.
Just taking some change of clothing.
Toiletries etc. Would just use my backpack, but I am afraid it will be too small. And later on in the year, I will
touring some, so the tank bag will come in handy for that..

Mark
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone here have a Givi XS306 ?

Mark
Sacramento CA

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've just ordered a set of straps for my Wolfman Blackhawk baf so that I can transfer it between my TEx and the GS.

It's small, but it's all that I need for what I want to keep at hand during a ride.

If you're looking for something to carry a week's worth of stuff, look at some good soft luggage that you can just throw over the pillion and strap down.

Luggage capacity, obviously, isn't one of my issues on the TEx.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're looking to bring change of clothes I don't think a tank bag is what you need. Mine is the BMW tank bag made for the G310 and I can fit a hat and a few other things in it. You might want to look into a bag you can strap down on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Passenger seat?
Tactical_r3dn3ck your so funny!
I couldn't even get my hamster to sit back there..

:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
> MichaelJ
My choice for bikes to buy were:
2008 Triumph 1050
2018 Triumph T100
2005 Honda ST1300

Was fearful about getting a used. Even though the ST1300 and 1050 were the same price
as the G310R. The T100 is twice the price and I did not want to finance. First time I've purcahsed a vehicle without financing.
Not including a Datsun B200 I bought in Seattle, in '94 for $300. All rusted out and belched black smoke, but ran.
I suspect within 3 years I will be doing what BMW's plan is all the while, with introducing the G310R. Move on up to a to a bigger and pricier model. In my case the R 1200 RT.
It's a great marketing on their part. Allowing riders to buy an affordable BMW with a stellar reputation.
Acquiring brand loyalty and on up to a the more familiar and pricier models. Like my plan.
I was wary of riding a shifter after 20 years, but I guess what they say is true: "It's like riding a bike. you never forget"
I know it's only a couple of days, but I love my G310R !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I agree wholeheartedly!
The only passenger I ever had was my Daughter when she was a bit younger.
And that was with a Yamaha Majesty & Vespa GTV 300.
Extra wide seats. She's going away to University in August, so no more passengers for me.
Wahoo! Since I will have room back there, is it possible to mount hard side cases?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought a new BMW 310 R specific bag today. I plan to use it to hold two or three changes of clothes. a hat and rain suit. The bag fits. It expands to 22 liters which will hold a lot. My dealer had two in stock. Even better the bag retails for less than most others of the same size and includes a rain cover.
I have a First Gear Dry bag with appropriate straps to fasten down the passenger seat. It carries hammock, tarp, chair, insulation and cooking gear.
This is a 310, I don't expect to haul passengers on long trips.

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I ended up getting the SHAD 3P (29/23) side and top cases.
I am also looking at the Cortech Super 2.0 sloped tank bag.
Anyone use that ?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Take a look at Wunderlich.de
The tankbag is waterproef, has a map section and easy to install.
Looks great on the bike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts