BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW G310GS
The first 10 days and 1300ks on my new all rounder.

I’ve had my BMW G310GS for 10 days now, have ridden it on a variety of local roads, had its first 1000k service and I’m starting to get a good feel of the bike, so these are my impressions.

On paper the 310GS ticked a lot of boxes. Ride away for under AU$8,000 it was a good price for an entry level BMW. I was after a smaller cc motorcycle that could multi task around country back roads, be able to cruise at 110k/h on the highway as well as handling light off road duties, and even tackle fire trails and paddocks.

Being a rider in my late 60’s and 5’9” tall with a few other bikes in the stable, I didn’t want a another big bike, and the idea of a 300cc machine fitted the bill. My buddy and I had been talking about a suitable bike as “my last bite of the apple.” I had been considering a Yamaha XT 250. My previous thumper was a Suzuki DR650 which had turned out to be too tall for me and after doing my maths on seat heights, I was concerned that it might have also been the case with the GS.

When I finally got to throw my leg over the GS I got this horrible feeling for a second that the bike was going to topple when my foot hadn’t reached the ground on the other side. I’ve since learnt how to stretch my leg out as I straddle the seat but in reality I’m only just tall enough to flat toe it. Its ok once I’m riding, I can get my feet down when I stop, and as the bike settles in, its becoming slightly lower, but its height could make it tricky maneuvering on uneven ground.

When I’m riding the bike it feels big, the wide bars and tank, there seems like a lot of bike between your legs until you realize it’s really just a little 310. Through the traffic it’s quite agile and responsive. The rider sits high and upright giving good lines of vision through the traffic, the engine has good response off the lights and has a wicked sweet spot between 6000-10000 rpm. Although it’s not the thinnest bike it would be more than capable for commuting in city gridlock.

On the faster arterial roads the GS is very comfortable, 100k/h at 6000 rpm with lots of extra power still in the engine. Occasionally on hills or for fast exit out of a corner I find myself dropping down a gear but that’s the way with this size engine. Out on the Highway the GS will easily sit on 110-120k/h at 6500 rpm and I’m sure it could easily get to 140k/h. I’m used to naked road bikes so I’m not fazed by wind in my face. Although I’d prefer to ride my bigger cc road bikes on long hwy runs I’ve no doubt the 310GS would be more than capable of touring, especially back road touring where the single cylinder is more suited.

It’s on the good winding secondary roads that the GS excels, get it rolling along over 7,000 rpm it just sings. It has enough power to accelerate up mountains, overtake safely, it handles bumps, potholes and patchwork tarmac with ease, it leans into corners effortlessly, tracks reliably and brings a big grin to my face. It’s not as sporty as the 310R but it’s lots of fun and comfortable to boot.

The last quality I was looking for in the GS was the ability to handle the dirt and gravel roads which crisscross the valleys and ridges around my part of the world. Although I haven’t had good experiences on dirt and have avoided these sorts of roads until now, I’m hoping that you tube and the 310GS will teach me how to stay upright and to be able to explore a new realm of riding. So far I’ve been testing myself and the GS out on soft sandy beach tracks, and reasonably graded gravel roads up the valleys. My progress on these off road expeditions has been very slow to date, but this is more due to me than the GS, and as my confidence increases so does my speed. The GS seems very stable and forgiving so far.

I was interested to read a review by an experienced 650GS rider Sjiriki, who noted: “Gravel is absolutely no problem, I quickly rode as fast with this one as with my own GS. It actually did better because of the upside down fork and, yes I have to admit, the lower weight. Gas response is good, it isn’t too light so you’re always in control even when you hit some unexpected bumps.” Ride report : BMW G310GS ? Riding With The Wolf

The last thing I want to mention is dealer support. The G310GS has only just been released. I decided to buy one of the first in the stores from a regional dealer, Rock Motorcycles at Port Macquarie, rather than a city dealer. As well as being slightly cheaper due to country third party insurance rates, I’ve found the support and service provided by Rock to be fantastic. The first service was slipped in after only 7 days and a minor idle speed problem was fixed without fuss under warranty. I was even given their demo to ride while mine was in the workshop. I guess with any new model there might be a few teething problems which is why it feels good being under a BMW warranty.

So to sum it up. BMW have designed a smaller cc bike for commuting, capable on the highway as well as country back roads, and light off road duties. Although there are faster, bigger, better handling sports bikes, and tougher adventure tourers, the G310GS makes up for it in being a cheap, economical, lightweight, well behaved and comfortable all rounder that can be ridden all day on a diverse selection of roads and put the silliest grin on your face. Needless to say I’m pretty **** happy, It’s just what I was looking for. All I need to do now is to keep riding it to find out if its indeed bullet proof and therefore a classic.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hearing that from a 60'er this is really inspiring; you have reached an age that, I believe, you have experienced a lot of stuff, but your attention is towards a 310cc bike instead of a 1000cc+.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took one of these for a test ride a few weeks ago whilst my R was at the dealer. I Liked it, different to ride but after a few minutes on it, I soon got use to the higher position and wider bars.
I completed my training and took my test on a F700GS and wasn’t sure what to expect when I first got on the smaller GS, however was surprised as it felt much higher, maybe it would settle down as you mention, as I was able to flat foot on the 700, but not on the 310. (Standard seat height on both)
My R had a serious engine issue which meant I rejected the bike, hence the test riding the GS as I could have swapped over, in the end I opted for a replacement R, but will look again at the GS in a year or so. like you I live in an area where we have a lot of Greenlanes and forest tracks that are open to vehicles which this little bike will be suited too, until I get one, then i continue to use the landrover to explore 😀

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hearing that from a 60'er this is really inspiring; you have reached an age that, I believe, you have experienced a lot of stuff, but your attention is towards a 310cc bike instead of a 1000cc+.
Thats right Ligkonakos. Its interesting that BMW is targeting the G310's as an entry-level baby GS for the beginning rider and as an intro into the world of BMW. Im thinking they're going to be suprised by the demand from experienced riders down sizing.

The fact that the 310's can travel 10k/h above any Australian speed limit with ease, means that they are capable enough for Australian roads and distances. My only other question about the G310's won't be answered until 100,000ks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just bought one, Cosmic Black looks great!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iron butt

Just bought one, Cosmic Black looks great!
well done Trickster. Hope yo enjoy it as much as I am. Rode mine 600ks today, 8 hrs with 50 Ltr cargo bag on the rear, 110k/h highways, 90\100k/h country backroads, 28ks /litre, and the gs didn’t miss a trick. The GS’s suspension which I originally thought was too soft is very good on patchwork bitumen. My butt never got sore.
The more I ride it the sweeter it runs. It is turning out to be a more than capable tourer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mucking about on G310's

Got into Sydney and caught up with old mate Eccles. He was the one who blazed the way when he grabbed a 310R that had been used at the track when the R was first launched. That means that it would have been pretty well flogged by the mc journos. There two theories on how to break in a new motorcycle, one is to do it by the manual, the other is ride it like you stole it and give it an early first oil change. Whatever, I got to have a ride on his 310R today. The way he rides, his R is probably one of the higher milage G310's out there. Only had it a month or so and he's ready for his 10,000k service.

"Why don't you take it for this mornings run" he suggested with a sly grin, "See what the engine feels like after 10,000ks."

Its been a month or so since Ive climbed aboard a R and Id forgotten how short and compact they were, especially in comparison to the lanky GS, I was impressed with how user friendly it was and how sporty. Eccles had trained it well, the R raced through the traffic with a real sense of catch me catch me. It was a hoot, light, fast, flickable, and the engine, SOOOOO SMOOTH! The chatter had gone. It hummed and it was fast. It was miles better than when I'd last ridden it.

This is the exciting news 310 owners. This 310 engine just seems to get better and better and if Eccles's 310R is any indication, we're all in for a great surprise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are a very good photographer Bro. I really like your 5th pic in the woods....Kg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Touring on the GS

Ive just got in from a 1200k trip to Sydney and back. Decided to take the GS just to see how it handled the highway, so with a 50 ltr cargo strapped to the rack and a tank full of gas, I hopped on the 110k/h dual carriageway Pacific Motorway and headed south. At 110k/h the GS sits just under 7000rpm the "little" 310 chattering away but presenting no real problems, only needing to be changed down to 5th on the odd hill. The bike is very stable at speed, a bit of vibration around the tank but not a problem through the pegs or handlebars. Had a couple of funny moments getting my leg off the seat with the pack on the back when dismounting. On the way south I left the Hwy and travelled along 100k/h arterial roads which had more bumps but the GS seems very well behaved on uneven tarmac.

The GS took a little getting used to in the gridlocked roads of the city, mainly getting used to where the clutch engages off the lights and threading the wide handle bars through the gap size when filtering, but pretty soon I had that sorted and was moving well in the stop start traffic. I liked the rider height and the seating position which gave me a good view of the cars around me. Had one incident having to brake hard in a roundabout and the abs saved the day. The bike accelerates well off the lights and its pretty easy to get ahead of the traffic and it became clear that the GS would be a good city commuter.

I went to the Motorcycle show with some mates, looking for crash bars and sump guard but because its so new none of the suppliers have kits for the GS yet.

Then it was time to head home. Strapped on the pack and got away early. 1 hour north I got a serious dumping in a passing storm and was totally drenched, but 10ks later I was back on dry roads and within an hour or so was dry again. I pretty well stuck to the motorway on the way home and for the last four hours sat on a constant 115k/h @ 7000rpm. One thing I did notice was how thirsty the little beastie got at this speed, about 22ks/ltr when I was getting 28k/ltr at lower revs. This nearly caught me out when my range dropped from 320ks to approx 250ks, but besides this the Versatile 310GS handled this sort of riding. Was impressed with the comfort of the seat and was able to stretch my feet back on the pillion pegs to get an occasional posture variation. Also able to get a quick stretch by standing on the pegs. Got back home covered in bugs but was impressed with how well the GS handled the trip.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great pics, scenery looks amazing at the show, bikes looks good too.
R&G racing.com has crash bars.
Do you want to replace the plastic bash guard? SW Motech I believe has them.
Sounds like an epic journey.
Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great pics, scenery looks amazing at the show, bikes looks good too.
R&G racing.com has crash bars.
Do you want to replace the plastic bash guard? SW Motech I believe has them.
Sounds like an epic journey.
Cheers!
Yeah spotted the R&G crash bars, they say that they fit both the R and the GS. Ive also sourced SW Motech bars for the R but they cant tell me if they fit the GS as they havn't had a chance to get a GS to measure it up. Also noticed a set on a custom R from Indonesia that could have been built in a local workshop. Im thinking that there will be lots of kit coming out of Asia for these bikes shortly.

I was thinking of knocking up an aluminium cover to fit over the plastic bash plate or to cut and bend a sheet of 4mm aluminium without welding.

Here are some stills from a you tube video of a custom R from MotoVLog with some hand made bars and bash plate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
250k Sunday run

Beautiful day, clear, sunny, 30C. I linked up with a few of the Ulysses boys for a run up the escarpment behind Coffs Harbour to the RSL Club in Ulong for lunch. Its 100ks, mostly mororway to Coffs, but the road up the hill to Ulong is a cracker, twists through the forest and is an absolute delight on a road bike. The boys soon disappeared up the road ahead of me while I enjoyed 3rd,4th and 5th up the twistie road and admiring the scenary.

After a great burger and a beer at the Club, the boys were intending to go back down the mountain retracing their route home. I knew of a 25k dirt road that linked up with Dorrigo on the famous bike route The Waterfall Way, and thats why Id taken the GS, so I headed down road the solo. It quickly turned to dirt, gravel, reasonably graded but with stretches of corrugations, pot holes and puddles. The GS seems to love this type of road, as long as I stay off the front brake, its very sure footed and I was able to travel 50-60k/h.

Got through the forest and out the other side to find excellent tar roads winding through the rich green hills through to Dorrigo. Then it was down the brilliant Dorrigo Mountain and back to the coast and home.

This ride today was what the very versatile GS is made for, Motorways, twistie mountain roads, linked together with light off road stretches, sitting up like Jackie, enjoying the wind in my face, the bike and the road beneath me, just cruising through the landscape. SWEET!

The run last week has smoothed the engine nicely and the 310 just keeps on getting better.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Absolutely fantastic roads and pics.
Your style of riding is exactly what I am after from the little GS.
When you say it's getting better, what are you referring to?
You and the bike getting to know each other better, or is it loosening up
from being better broken in?
Cheers,
Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely fantastic roads and pics.
Your style of riding is exactly what I am after from the little GS.
When you say it's getting better, what are you referring to?
You and the bike getting to know each other better, or is it loosening up
from being better broken in?
Cheers,
Rick
Hi Rick, Its a combination of the two. Im new to off road riding and Im having to learn some new skills like standing on the pegs and steering the bike with my weight over the rough stuff, braking down hills with the rear and engine braking. etc etc. Im getting to trust the bike on the gravel and Im able to travel with more confidence so my speeds on dirt are slowly building up.

Also the bike is getting run in. The engine seems to be running smoother, losing some of the clatter that it had originally, and it seems more responsive, it really runs well between 7,000rpm to the white light, and I'm using this power band more often. Suspension isn't as tall and I can get my leg over it easier, seat softening, it's riding more comfortably.

My mate Eccles has over 10,000ks up on his 310R and he's telling me that his engine is still improving, so all indications are that the 310's like to be ridden.

Yesterdays ride also showed me that the GS can be ridden with bigger sports bikes and not get too far behind, sure it wont be as fast but its sure more versatile.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts